WHAT IS HIGH KM FOR A 600cc bike | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

WHAT IS HIGH KM FOR A 600cc bike

My FJ, at around 40k kms, probably never had a single valve clearance check. Exhaust valves were still within spec but all the intakes were so tight that they had massive negative clearance. Calculating clearance from zero every time, I had to re-shim them with thinner shims 3 times to get proper clearance.

The bike would not start in cold weather, like at all.
wow

+1. The wifes ninja 250 wouldn't start, wouldn't idle never warmed up properly. Check and adjust the valves, it runs sweeter than ever. My 07 drz400 was warming up on choke one day, it stalled and wouldn't start again. Period. Turns out the exhaust valves were way too tight. Re shimmed them and it started first try.
Valve service unnecessary? Pffft!
Oh, and if Lone Ronin can put 100k km on his ninja 250 from new, a 600 with care can go many more.
I have personally ridden a cbr900rr that had nearly 200k on it. It ran great.

Sent from my Le Pan TC802A using Tapatalk
I know and I am going to get the valves check at 50,000 km

My 1000 has 38k on it and it runs better and stronger than it did when it left the showroom floor. It's for sale and comes with a binder of all the maintenance records. In contrast I've seen plenty of bikes with 10k on them thrashed and horrible running shape but kiddies buy those thinking they're the better bike.
sweet

Agree with 100,000km as the rough marker of considering a bike getting into high mileage territory, assuming all other things equal. My current 2012 is at 90,000km and engine runs very nice. I had a VFR with about 130,000km before I sold it and a Ninja1000 with about 100,000km before I sold that, and both bike had solid engines.

I've gone past 100,000 km on a couple of bikes. Around 80,000 - 100,000 km things start wearing out: steering head bearings, brake rotors, swingarm pivot and shock linkage bearings, etc. I gave a Yamaha FZR400 a thorough overhaul a couple years ago, documented here http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum/showthread.php?178050-FZR400-winter-overhaul That made it feel like a new bike. I might be waking it up for the coming season this week.

GTAM member and moderator V-Tom took a V-Strom 650 past 200,000 km. (Same engine as SV650)

edit: GTAM member and moderator WobblyCat has a cbr600f2 with something beyond 140,000 km on it and it has not been apart.

Last edited:
I had a 1999 klr 650 single. When I sold it with 83000km it ran perfectly. The only real repair was replacing the water pump seal. Everything else was routine maintenance or fixing owner breakage. When a klr goes down in the woods, it goes down HARD.

Agree with 100,000km as the rough marker of considering a bike getting into high mileage territory, assuming all other things equal. My current 2012 is at 90,000km and engine runs very nice. I had a VFR with about 130,000km before I sold it and a Ninja1000 with about 100,000km before I sold that, and both bike had solid engines.
that's awesome

I've gone past 100,000 km on a couple of bikes. Around 80,000 - 100,000 km things start wearing out: steering head bearings, brake rotors, swingarm pivot and shock linkage bearings, etc. I gave a Yamaha FZR400 a thorough overhaul a couple years ago, documented here http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum/showthread.php?178050-FZR400-winter-overhaul That made it feel like a new bike. I might be waking it up for the coming season this week.

GTAM member and moderator V-Tom took a V-Strom 650 past 200,000 km. (Same engine as SV650)

edit: GTAM member and moderator WobblyCat has a cbr600f2 with something beyond 140,000 km on it and it has not been apart.
not bad so any thing before 80,000 would be just regular maintenance eh

I had a 1999 klr 650 single. When I sold it with 83000km it ran perfectly. The only real repair was replacing the water pump seal. Everything else was routine maintenance or fixing owner breakage. When a klr goes down in the woods, it goes down HARD.

dam that's good and lol true

+1 @ KLR650, very popular and seemingly indestructible. They always sound like they're only running on one cylinder but don't let that fool you. Good bikes.

I have seen the video already any way did you ride the fz6r yet I rode the cbr 5 times already I love it LOL and the exhaust

Yeah i took it out for a run last week after i did the oil change. Runs smooth, had to spend some time on the chain and sprockets tho.

Did you make a riding video of the CBR yet?

Last edited:
My current VFR750 has 120,000km on the OD. Sadly last year I only put on about 500km mainly due to waiting on parts to come in, wrong parts ordered, work, life, etc., You just have to keep up with the maintenance. However when the engine goes I'll probably just end up stripping it to sell what I can, and junk the rest. My replacement probably be a newer R nine T from BMW. However I'm liking this at the moment yamaha r1-z 3xc http://page17.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/v450590956

I remember back in mid 90's my dad thought a bike with 35,000km on the OD was worn out and considered worthless. I missed out on a few yamaha radian's for dirt cheap for taking that advice.

Last edited:
Current ride is a 2001 Honda Blackbird with 103,000 KMs, does not use a drop of oil and still pulls like a missile.....it's a Honda, keep your maintenance up and ride on!

2001 Honda Blackbird here, 103,000 KM, does not use a drop of oil, solid ride and still pulls like a missile.....its a Honda, do your regular maint. and ride on!

Yeah i took it out for a run last week after i did the oil change. Runs smooth, had to spend some time on the chain and sprockets tho.

Did you make a riding video of the CBR yet?
nice oh what was wrong with the chain and no I will have riding vids on the cbr maybe this week

nice oh what was wrong with the chain and no I will have riding vids on the cbr maybe this week

It looked like you never lubed it tbh, I hate rust :lmao: I thought I might of had to replace the sprockets too but i scrubbed the crap out of everything with a chain cleaner and brush. It'll be fine for the season.

I'm glad you're happy with the CBR tho, It's a hell of a bike :thumbup:

Last edited:
I like to think of 10k as the marker where the bike is no longer new. Under 10k is basically a new bike in my eyes. To me high mileage is probably 40k+. But im not a mechanic.

What I want to know is who are these people that can buy a bike new and then sell it with under 10k kms?!?
When I see a 5 year old bike for sale with under 10k on it I just assume that something must have gone horribly wrong in that persons life :p
i bought my 09 in 2013 with sub 1000km on it. it was in a crate for 2 years when the original owner bought it from the dealer.
he sold it because he was going for back surgery, and i bought it because i was doing better after back surgery but still had a few more surgeries to go (and still do..may be going under the knife again in a few weeks but im trying to delay till november..)

Back
Top Bottom