What does "Work" mean to you? | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

What does "Work" mean to you?

LOL...I don't think ANYONE wants to see Sushii in oil...i certainly don't LOL

dunno about that. I heard he's got a more feminine body than you. With a lot of beer he could probably pass as a real girl.

Edit: I think we need to stop. Dude is going to flip out if he reads this.

Last edited:
LOL....Could be true...If you can get him out...i'll wear my burliest bikini! =P

I was curious about "burliest bikini", but decided not to google it. I think that'll get me fired.

I think this convo is going to get me fired if audit ever reads it...

Its kind of funny how people always say they love their jobs etc... what would happen if the company stopped paying them for a month, think they would still love their job?

I have gone several months at times without a paycheque. I kept doing what I was doing because I love what I do and know it is what I am called to do. Now if I was starving, I may have picked up something else but I wouldn't not have stopped being a minister.

I do what I do for the money. IT has stop being challenging and or interesting a while back. We hardly program any more and for the most part it's all about integrating. Integrating systems, integrating code, etc.... But, it's not a slacking work neither and you still have to burn a lot of concious thought in resolving some "issues" and "problems" that are neither critical nor challenging.

When I say IT, I'm simply referring the enterprise business Software life cycle model. I'm sure the guy's cutting AI and other forefronts of real computer science endeavours are actually producing some cool stuff worth thinking about.

I've been doing the same thing for so long that I am considered an expert in the field. My job is therefore a big part of my identity. Keep in mind that accountants think auto mechanics are anal and vice versa so you tend to live in your own worlds.
Apparently this is a North American thing. Here if someone asks what you do you say "Plumber, accountant, truck driver etc." I read that in Europe the typical answer would be "I ski, I dance, I go to the opera etc"
Anyway, the recognition is nice and providing the money is sufficient, life can be OK.

I read that in Europe the typical answer would be "I ski, I dance, I go to the opera etc"
Anyway, the recognition is nice and providing the money is sufficient, life can be OK.
Some of my friends say the same thing. They close up shop for lunch (and have a REAL break). And many shops close up at 6pm so they can enjoy the rest of the night with their family and friends. I think the difference here is that we always want way more than the minimum.

I used to work to live, but now I've find that I live to work. I enjoy working really hard and being able to put it towards something substantial (like a nice vacation) or being able to spend on small ticket items without having to worry about it. I love being barely being able to find the time to see my friends, because when I do, they make for such great conversations/amazing times. And every time the topic of "what would you do if you won the lotto" comes up, I always say that I'd still find a job. I'm not sure a vacation would be all that great if it were life-long.

I don't even really find my 2 part-time jobs all that great. So I'm sort of excited for when I'm older and I do manage to somehow find something that I love doing. But I'm also relieved because even if I don't like it, I'd be willing to give that up for good pay (but like TomC said, that might change). But I'm also afraid of being sucked into the capitalist trap where we keep setting higher and higher goals for ourselves. Is it all just wasted effort, or should we be doing as the europeans do? On average, I see poorer countries around the world that are a lot more happy than we are (but there are also a lot of outside factors like religion involved).

Would you guys change anything if you had to do it all over again?

Last edited:
Well put Knowledge.

What we experience makes us who we are. I am happy for the good as well as the bad that has happened in my life because it has given me a better understanding of who I am and what I am capable of. It had shifted my paradigm.

I have to admit, unless my shoulders are in the harness, I don't feel good about myself. So I live to work.
However, because of the nature of my work, I get 4 months off a year and although the 1st month is always heaven the next 3 I feel pretty worthless. I fill my time with lots of useful projects and household renos but saving money isn't the same as making money. I know life is short and all that but I can't relax unless I have earned it.

I subscribe to the idea that suggests " If you love what you do, you will never work another day in your life." I'm blessed that I've loved every trade, vocation and experience I've ever had...especially my current one. I guess I've never really worked at all.

Back
Top Bottom