What did you do in your garage today..? | Page 195 | GTAMotorcycle.com

What did you do in your garage today..?

Not much done...but going through an internal struggle of DIY DESMO....or pay for DESMO.

Belts I'm not worried about.
Valve clearance check / adjustment is what worries me

Plus if I'm selling the Scrambler, good chance no one will believe me that I actually did the DESMO service so that will push the price down.

I'll call Ken to see how much just for the valve clearance / adjustment as I can knock out the belts and spark plugs.

Not much done...but going through an internal struggle of DIY DESMO....or pay for DESMO.

Plus if I'm selling the Scrambler, good chance no one will believe me that I actually did the DESMO service so that will push the price down.

I'll call Ken to see how much just for the valve clearance / adjustment as I can knock out the belts and spark plugs.
If Ken is going to do the clearance check, get him to do the belts as well.

Take a bunch of pictures of the process, and start a new thread where we can tell you everything you did wrong.

Then start a new thread in Project Tutorials under a different username when you're ready to sell, and just post all the steps as though you'd done it correctly the first time. Send that Project Tutorials link to prospective buyers.

Take a bunch of pictures of the process, and start a new thread where we can tell you everything you did wrong.

Then start a new thread in Project Tutorials under a different username when you're ready to sell, and just post all the steps as though you'd done it correctly the first time. Send that Project Tutorials link to prospective buyers.
I’m slightly offended by the implication I don’t know what I’m doing at all…slightly.

Try the DIY Desmo service. YouTube your work to help others and give your buyer confidence it was done.

Maybe Desmo service ends up being your new side hustle.

That sounds like an expensive lesson

+1 on what others have said about documenting the work done, whether it be youtube or just taking a bunch of pictures. That will give perspective buyers some confidence.

In my defence…the basement flooded and I had my gallbladder removed in the meantime…

Damn! You went through a lot of trouble just to avoid finishing the job! :)

+1 on what others have said about documenting the work done, whether it be youtube or just taking a bunch of pictures. That will give perspective buyers some confidence.

Damn! You went through a lot of trouble just to avoid finishing the job! :)
Go big or go home!

3) I'm new to doing my own oil changes (so if there's a reason the Pennzoil would've been the better choice I'm all ears :)

Ah ok.
Canadian Tire has Pennzoil on sale from time to time so I pick up a couple of jugs then and run them over the next 2-3 years.

Based on what I've seen it appears to have nice cold flow properties and is derived from Natural gas, then again I drive a Dodge and need to use Pennzoil to maintain my warranty lol. But I have been running on all cars at home it since 2012.

My cousin swears by Castrol on his GTi but noticed that he needs to top it up occasionally. Not sure if it is due to bad piston rings or Noack volatility. End of the day I guess if one changes their oil sooner rather than later, it doesnt really matter.

Ah ok.
Canadian Tire has Pennzoil on sale from time to time so I pick up a couple of jugs then and run them over the next 2-3 years.

Based on what I've seen it appears to have nice cold flow properties and is derived from Natural gas, then again I drive a Dodge and need to use Pennzoil to maintain my warranty lol. But I have been running on all cars at home it since 2012.

My cousin swears by Castrol on his GTi but noticed that he needs to top it up occasionally. Not sure if it is due to bad piston rings or Noack volatility. End of the day I guess if one changes their oil sooner rather than later, it doesnt really matter.
The important point (especially for VW) is that the oil meets the vehicle manufacturer required standard (depending on year 502 00 or 504 00) and viscosity is correct. Oil that says approved or safe for xxx but doesn't include the standards it meets is good for my lawnmower but not expensive engines. I have zero brand affinity normally. Use oil that meets the required standard and buy the cheapest one. I have a 20L bottle of oil for my car in transit as it was ~$5/L cheaper from the states.

Oil consumption on many modern engines often happens. Depending on the manufacturer, they argue that 1L/1000 km to 1L/2000 km is normal. Engines hold about 6L and 15000 km change intervals but 1L/1000 is normal. Fack. That starts to become a significant operating expense (up to about 10% of the price of fuel you run through).

Free tip if your oil filter is down-pointing is to cover it entirely in an old plastic bag leaving it on while you unscrew it (old bread loaf bags work great). That way all the oil stays in the bag and it’s a quick easy cleanup with little to no mess. Changed the oil/filter in our Ody this morning as well (I use Pennzoil Platinum and stock up when it’s on sale).

Attachments

• IMG_5841.jpeg
    IMG_5841.jpeg
    298 KB · Views: 5

Back
Top Bottom