What caused your crash? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

What caused your crash?

I remember before I went down for the first time hearing an old saying that there are two types of motorcycle riders, those who have gone down and those who havnt gone down YET

I remember before I went down for the first time hearing an old saying that there are two types of motorcycle riders, those who have gone down and those who havnt gone down YET

Actually, I HAVE thrown a dirt bike away a few times.. :) Purely riding above my talent level!! :)

crash 1: Inexperience
crash 2: Excess speed, Inexperience
crash 3: Dumbass cager turned left

It was like the scene from A Twist of the Wrist where the biker goes over the guard rail because of his "SR". Went into a left hand turn on the 219 in Pennsylvania, saw my buddies make the turn and then just focused on the guard rail. Said "OH ****, this is going to hurt". Grabbed the front brake, low sided, kicked the bike away. It lodged under the guard rail and I hit the support coming out of the ground and broke my wrist. Got it on youtube, not the accident but the after math. Bike was a write off, but I wasn't. This happened last year in April, drove by this June and picked up a piece of fairing still on the ground.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kM8CltC8TM

Last edited:
Lakeshore in rush hour moving east bound in the morning (by the tip top building). Truck in front of me changed lanes in the interestion in front of me, I swerved over to avoid him. I swerved into the turning lane on the brakes which was covered in sand and fine gravel on top of the pavement, low sided at about 60 kph.

Not sure what I could have done better, maybe just jammed on the brakes going straight (likely would have been hit from behind) or no brakes in the sand (which I did not notice until it was too late, so I guess pay better attention...).

Turning left thought I was going to fast, bailed on the corner stood the bike up and tried to stop but went onto gravel shoulder and down I went. Walked away with a bruised ego. Lesson learned, lean the f&$king bike

Rider error: Rode off corner 2 at Cayuga, thought I was in the clear to continue through the grass when I realized that it rained the night before and the fields were mucky. I missed my one chance to pull a Jesse GP! (BTW that kid still around?)

Krashasaki has had way too many crashes!

1. 4 days after getting my bike, going around and around on my block. Went around a corner faster than the previous time, target fixated on the curb, and down I went. Rashed up plastics, cracked the tail plastic, bent the shift lever, and somehow popped the pawl spring that keeps tension on the shift forks. I was fine. Spent 1.5 weeks trying to diagnose the problem, as it just simply wouldn't shift. Opened the clutch cover, spring just fell right out. But to mount it on again, I had to remove the clutch basket. Had some people from here volunteer to help, we made a clutch basket holder out of spare metal parts and managed to break that. Had to order a new clutch basket, and also got the proper tools. After that, fixed it all myself. Vowed to myself to never let anyone else touch my bike. The person was very apologetic, very helpful and I wasn't upset with them at all. But at least if I break something, I can get mad at myself.

2. Maybe 2 months later, went up to River Rd. on my own. Went through the road once with no problem, but noticed a bunch of gravel in some spots. On the way back, came up on a corner that was marked yellow sign 50 km/h. I was coming in at 80, and I thought, this is maybe a little fast. Ah well, as long as I push hard, I can make it. I target fixated on the opposite lane, had totally improper body positioning, and crashed into the gravel and grass of the opposite lane. Totally lucky it was so early and deserted. Walked away with my helmet scratched, a piece of lettering on my jacket gone, and a small bruise on my elbow. Bike totally flipped, rashed up the plastics more, bent the handlebars, broke the turn signals. Took a while to get it up, picked up all the pieces and rode home. Took about a week to fix, mostly due to researching how to untwist the front end. Rode with bent handlebars for a while.

3. This one wasn't Krashasaki's fault. Did a whole string of maintenance and tuning a week prior to leaving for a big trip to Deal's Gap, including shimming the carb needles and removing the snorkel. Krashasaki's dad is very overbearing at the best of times, and doesn't trust Krashasaki's work. So after Krashasaki gets home from work, Krashasaki's dad decides to ride his bike around the block. Krashasaki hates this and always gets nervous because Krashasaki's dad never gears up, not even a helmet. Regardless, Krashasaki ignores the gut feelings and trust his dad's "experience." Krashasaki's dad tells him the bike feels better and has more "power," then proceeds to loop around, and give it a bit of gas. While the front end is turned and tucked, Krashasaki's dad grabs a fistful of front brake. Down he goes, head grazing the asphalt. Krashasaki is a trained medical first responder (not a paramedic), so he tends to his dad's injuries and attempts to ascertain the extent of them, the primary concern being a head injury. Extremely luckily, it was just road rash and a few bruises. The bike had a shattered right rearset, scratches on the muffler guard, additional rash to the plastics, and broken turn signal. With a week to go, Krashasaki somehow managed to get the parts in time. Krashasaki never really let anyone touch the bike, but always had trust in his dad's abilities. This is no longer the case.

4. On Krashasaki's Deal's Gap trip, he managed to use the front brakes in a patch of unseen gravel, and according to the person riding behind him, almost highside as the back end kicked around. Saddlebags took the brunt of the impact, but the plastics got their worst rash yet. Front end was twisted, and the left handlebar bent. Rashed up 4 day old leathers, and a very ****** off Krashasaki, but otherwise fine. In Krashasaki's defense, he was wearing a dark visor at dusk, as was the group leader. We had actually turned off the Blue Ridge Parkway to go to a motel to turn in for the night. We were only a mile away. The group leader saw the gravel very late, kicked out his foot to signal it, and Krashasaki instinctively hit the front brake while attempting to ascertain what the leader was warning him about. Krashasaki managed to get everything together and make it to the Gap, ride for the rest of the week and ride back home. Krashasaki is still unsure of what could've been done differently, other than maintaining a larger gap, use some rear brake, and/or don't jump on the brakes right away until you see what you're dealing with.

Oh, and that last one is where Krashasaki got his name. Those are just my crashes on the road. You can now understand why they call me Krashasaki.

I did the Racer5 school in early May, and managed to crash every single day of the 4 days.

Day 1: Towards the end of the day, last session, I came around Turn 8, the slow right hairpin. I must've chopped the throttle, as I found myself sliding on my butt, with the bike moving away from me. It was almost in slow motion. Wasn't a big deal, very easy crash, but somehow managed to break the stupid ear on the front fairing, meaning the whole thing had to be replaced. They need to stop designing them that way. Oh and twisted the front end a bit. Otherwise, the bike was fine, picked it up and rode it in.

Day 2: During one of the practice sessions, I found myself closing in on one of the faster guys in our group. It seems that I can carry a lot of corner speed in the infield, as I find that I always close in on people in this area. Between turn 3 and 4, I attempted to make a pass. I stupidly looked at the other bike, and not where I wanted to go, running into him. It was bad, I hit my head pretty hard on the ground, destroying my helmet. Got checked out by trackside EMS. I didn't lose consciousness, but I was definitely dizzy and had a headache. I decided to get checked out at the ER, thus ending my day. Bike was apparently fine, and my crash was the talk of the paddock for a few weekends!

Day 3: Came back with a clean bill of health, but obviously shaken. Came up behind someone in turn 6, the slow left hander. I was probably 2 metres away, but it still freaked me. Grabbed front brake, stood it up, headed for the grass, lost it in the mud. Picked it up, rode back to the pits, didn't finish qualifying. Bent rearset.

Day 4: Didn't really crash, just ran wide into the grass out of turn 3 due to nerves and target fixation. Came back onto the track without skipping a beat, but proceeded to yell at myself.

Went back this past weekend to race again, I was faster, smoother, and I did not crash at all (not even running into the grass). When in doubt, try again.

Oncoming cager made a left infront of me giving me less than 2 meters to react.

Watch them lefts!

2011 - First year of riding, leaned on a routine left turn...during the lean, I low sided at about 15-20 km/h. No brakes, nothing wrong, rider behind me was also surprised as he also said I did nothing wrong. Went to check the road and there was a giant bump where I lost balance during my turn. Rider error....should've been aware of the bad road and been more careful. Not the best first season as injured hand prevents me from riding. Hope I can ride a little before seasons end.

1. On a side road up around Coboconk, coming up to a ~60 degree left turn on a narrow two lane (was more like a 1.5 lane) and through the trees saw a large van oncoming hogging the road. There was no way he could see me. Was going way too hot as there'd been no other traffic which was the biggest problem. Went wide to avoid being hit head on and ran off into dirt, was grabbing a lot of front brake as it was happening and lowsided. Bit of rash where my jacket lifted, but walked away.

2. Cool early morning in early October on Lakeshore making the left out from the Petro Canada to get onto the Gardiner. Those train tracks pass through the lanes at a 45 degree angle, target fixated on them and front wheel followed the track, then slid out.

Turning left thought I was going to fast, bailed on the corner stood the bike up and tried to stop but went onto gravel shoulder and down I went. Walked away with a bruised ego. Lesson learned, lean the f&$king bike

Same here on the Forks. I charged the turn.
Lesson learned: look through the turn. Bike goes where you aim for.
Spent time to practice roll off the throttle and trail braking.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trail_braking

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Had the tube blow out on my rear tire while travelling southbound on hwy 400 @ 100 km/h. My buddy was on the back. We were in between the "packs" of cars on the highway, so we had room for the wipeout. Controlled the bike down to about 80 km/h then it just slid out from under me. My buddy tumbled into the ditch and got a bit of road rash. I slid down the slow lane on my butt for a bit, then I pushed up with my hands and ran down the 400 at about 70 km/h. Six million dollar man, eat your heart out!

I had just bought this bike used from a private seller and it had a brand new rear tire, so I figured I was good to go! Subsequent investigation revealed that the fellow had not replaced the tube when he replaced the tire. The tube had about six of those thick rubber bicycle tube patches on it and one of those let go, causing the tire to deflate almost instantly.

Lessons learned:
- be wary of private deals - make sure you take the bike to a reputable shop for a thorough inspection by a good mechanic (although my problem prolly would not have been caught in an inspection.)
- dont use tube tires - they deflate much too quickly. Buy a bike that uses tubeless tires. AND - never use tubes in tubeless tires! If your tire wont hold air, find out why!
- tires are crucial to your safety - buy the best you can afford and replace them before (or shortly after) they wear down to the wear bars.
- don't ride with the pack of cars if possible ....position yourself in between the packs so you have room to wipe out. It would prolly ruin your day to get run over after a wipe out.
- buy crash bars for your bike - they will keep the bike from pinning your leg underneath when it goes down, allowing you to slide a without a bike laying on your leg.

Back
Top Bottom