West coast cannonball run, 9 days, 10,000KM. | GTAMotorcycle.com

West coast cannonball run, 9 days, 10,000KM.

PrivatePilot

Ironus Butticus
Site Supporter
Ok, this trip that is jammed into my brain has officially moved into the planning stages.

Yes, it's a lot of miles, but those who know me here know that I like endurance/Iron Butt riding.

I'll preface this for anyone who says "You won't see anything, stop and smell the roses!". I am cool with seeing things as I pass by. A scenery stop for me is a few minutes, a few photos, and roll. Most scenery I enjoy as I'm riding past, I am not the type of person who needs to stop and "take it in" for a half hour or whatever. If I went off on every tangent and every possible scenery, road, landmark, or whatever stop, this would be a 4-6+ week trip instead. That can happen another time, I don't want to blow my entire years vacation allotment on one solo trip.

Moral of the story - I don't sit still well, I am very much an "Eat, Sleep, Ride" type guy when on a long trip like this, especially solo.

Here's the rough plan at this point.

Planning for late May or early June. Want to do this trip before the sweltering temperatures set in and before the tourist hordes start. The mountains through Colorado and such should be well clear and open by late May based on all the reading I've done thus far.

Planning for 2 nested Iron Butt Association rides on the way west.

Day 1: Home to at least (details below) Omaha Nebraska (1626km) for a Saddlesore 1000 which is 1000 miles (1609km) in 24 hours. This is easy peasy in about 15 to 16 hours even with fuel stops given the speed limits and long sections of open road with 70MPH (realistically easily pushed to 75MPH without any concern) speeds. Depart at 5AM on Saturday which should provide good timing for threading the needle through Chicago. Will be running Waze religiously on this trip to work around any traffic or accidents. Once west of Chicago it's a piece of cake. The end of the day will be not set in stone, if I am feeling good or ahead of schedule (likely if average speeds are what I suspect they will be based on previous rides out west) I may run a few hundred more km in preparation for day 2.

Depending on weather, crash in my tent or grab a motel somewhere and crash for however many hours sleep I can fit in while still leaving myself enough time for the next day's challenge - if I'm making the time I suspect I should be able to make, this should be almost a good solid 8 hours sleep honestly.

Day 2: Nested Iron Butt Association Bun Burner 1500 - 1500 miles (2414KM) in a total of 36 hours since leaving home. Destination Greely Colorado (North of Denver) which means I need to be there by 5PM on day 2. The number of kilometers in this day will be determined by how far I got on day 1. If I log 1800km on day 1, this leaves only a little over 600km to complete the BB1500. If I'm tired or whatever and only run the minimum 1600km to Omaha, this leaves just a little over 800km for day 2 to reach the Greely CO which is 2480km from the start of my trip, almost perfect to qualify for the Bun Burner. Shut it down, or continue on, play by ear depending on weather and how I'm feeling. Will be temped to continue west as this is where the roads and scenery get interesting, but need to keep daylight hours and accomodations in mind beyond this point. Chance are good I will continue on though unless there's bad weather. I plan to be completely self sufficient through this trip, camping as desired or needed, so all I need is a patch of flat terrain to throw my tent wherever I might end up at the end of my days. Motels every few days or whenever I want honestly for a good nights sleep, showers, etc.

Day 3 + 4, work westwards towards western terminus of Eureka CA, or wherever somewhere east of there I end up, everything is flexible. Planning route through Rocky Mountains National Park and and open to suggestions westwards from there. Eyeballing SR40 most of the way. Around 2000-2300km from Greely, or less if I log some more miles on Day 2 which is highly likely. Split between 2 days, so two probably 14-15 hour seat time days maximum, less if I log more miles on day 2. Great for me. Almost 15 hours of daylight this time of year. Could stretch this into part of day 5 if I wanted or needed. Eureka is just a "threw a dart at the dartboard" destination right now, but it's in the right vicinity to start Day 5-6 below.

Day 5 - 6, North Coast Highway south towards Long beach. A little over 1000km total so 2 pretty leisurely days honestly, even including some stops for photos and such.

Night 6, bucket list item, a night aboard the historic Queen Mary in Long Beach. The whole point of the trip.

Day 7-9, highball it home. Interstate all the way, probably through Kansas so that there's not much same road backtracking. May or may not make at least 1 Iron Butt run, will depend greatly on how I feel on a daily basis, and weather. 4300km home, so 1400ish km each day, one long day and a few shorter.

Now, everyone proceed to tell me how crazy I am. Wouldn't be the first time I've done a crazy thing on 2 wheels. 😜

I thought you wanted to do this trip this year.

Regardless, good luck and happy riding. Im sure you can do it

It's not for everybody. Some of us are weird though.

In the grand scheme of some of the really hard core IBA guys, this is a beginner level stuff though. But even I have my limits on what I know I'll enjoy.

In the end, if there's a mechanical breakdown or a string of really bad weather that screws up the plans in some way or another, I'll pivot as necessary and won't be heartbroken about anything, there's always (edit: Well, hopefully, health always allowing) another time. On a ride in years past I spent 2+ days trying to cover all the passes over the Green Mountains in Vermont and never did because of pea soup fog and rain (it should have been a 1 day thing), so meh, there's always next time lol.

Last edited:
I thought you wanted to do this trip this year.

Thought long and hard about it, but it's not realistic at this point given the daylight hours dwindling - by the time I planned and executed we'd be into the second or third week of October realistically which puts me in subzero temps in some spots with risk of dustings of snow in the mountain passes. I'm not against riding in the dark, but don't go out of my way to do so if there's an option and I'm not on some IBA mission on slab, and snow would really mess with a schedule lol.

I'm hoping to run an IBA SS1000 (1600km in 24 hours) in a few weeks to honor my friend I lost last year who was a fully off the chart Iron Butt Association guy. How I feel after this trip (the first IBA on the new motorcycle) will weigh into the decision on how many really long days I opt for on this trip as well.

I rode 1800km in 21 hours on my old VTX years ago and came home comfortable as could be and ready for more, but a 1500km nonstop ride to Moncton NB 2 years ago on my Vulcan left me very uncomfortable for the last few hours, but that was because (as I'm sure some remember) my Vulcan Voyager was never the right bike for me. A few 3 hour nonstop sections on my way back from WV (and a 13 hour day in the saddle) on the new Transcontinental left me realizing how much better this bike is for me ergo-wise.

If it goes well, I'll execute on this. If for some reason I'm in rough shape after a 1600km day, then I may have to reconsider. I'm not in the same shape anymore that I was when I did the 1800km ride, sadly, so we'll see.

Speaking of which, if anyone is interested in tagging along for that Saddlesore 1000 (someone who wants to do their first IBA ride, or someone who has already done it), drop me a message. It'll be an ride-gas-ride type schedule with some quick food stops, but should be done in about 16-17 hours with the around-the-lakes route.

Wow, now that is a real IRON BUTT ride. Hope the weather cooperates for sure. Some of the mountain passes in CO might not be open even at the end of May, but am guessing if you fine tune it a couple of weeks before departure you will be okay. You sure have the bike for it. Are you going alone?

Wow, now that is a real IRON BUTT ride. Hope the weather cooperates for sure. Some of the mountain passes in CO might not be open even at the end of May, but am guessing if you fine tune it a couple of weeks before departure you will be okay. You sure have the bike for it. Are you going alone?

From some cursory Googling right now it looks like the main passes will be fine by the last week of May. The only show concerns I see are for hikers hoping to go further up or into the woods where snow would still be an issue.

Ultimately if I push it ahead a week or so that'd be fine as well, I just need to have a date narrowed by late March when I go to sign for my vacation. I'm just trying to stay on the bleeding edge of "too early, snow" and "too late, hot as balls and too peopley".

Solo? Yeah, probably. Not against travelling with someone else, but finding people who are interested in this sort or riding is like finding a grain of salt in a sandbox.

Around 12 years ago, I was coming back from out West and changed my route from CO to Wyoming as some passes were tentative. Mt. Evans was on bucket list, and it was closed. Sorry I should say Mount Blue Sky (makes me think of ELO's Mr. Blue Sky), by the way it is closed next year, just in case that was on the menu.

The longest I ever rode in 1 day was from St. Louis to home, it was around 1,150 km from 5:30am to 10:00 pm and swore I was getting delirious at the end (bike ran like a champ), and I was way younger than now.

You are right, it will be a very few tough souls that would take you up on that ride.

I will be cheering for you!

Now, everyone proceed to tell me how crazy I am. Wouldn't be the first time I've done a crazy thing on 2 wheels. 😜

Not my style of riding, but I don't think you're crazy.

There are so many aspects of two-wheeling: long-distance touring, peg-grinding on twisties, eating dirt, etc. everyone approaches this past-time from their own angle.

Go and chase your bliss, and arrive home safely to tell us all about it! (y)🤜

signed,
IBA #44913

Not my style of riding, but I don't think you're crazy.

Coming from you, a guy with an IBA number, I know you get it.

This will without doubt push my limits, but my two favourite mantras in life right now are “YOLO!” (You Only Live Once), and “Carpe Diem!” (Seize the day!).

Last edited:
edited <spam>

Last edited by a moderator:
Day 1: Home to at least (details below) Omaha Nebraska (1626km) for a Saddlesore 1000 which is 1000 miles (1609km) in 24 hours. This is easy peasy in about 15 to 16 hours even with fuel stops given the speed limits and long sections of open road with 70MPH (realistically easily pushed to 75MPH without any concern) speeds.
My experience is you're going to be comfortable at 80mph from Sarnia to Omaha.
Depart at 5AM on Saturday which should provide good timing for threading the needle through Chicago. Will be running Waze religiously on this trip to work around any traffic or accidents. Once west of Chicago it's a piece of cake. The end of the day will be not set in stone, if I am feeling good or ahead of schedule (likely if average speeds are what I suspect they will be based on previous rides out west) I may run a few hundred more km in preparation for day 2.

Depending on weather, crash in my tent or grab a motel somewhere and crash for however many hours sleep I can fit in while still leaving myself enough time for the next day's challenge - if I'm making the time I suspect I should be able to make, this should be almost a good solid 8 hours sleep honestly.
Tip: Lots of camping available, expect $30/night for a tent site. Motels and restaurants are dirt cheap on the IA side, a Red Roof or Windham room goes for about $60USD in May.

Upper midwest Interstates are the worst in the country for deer collisions, I don't like riding those areas after twilight (8:30 in May). If you're after the Ironbut Badges and plan night riding, i71-I70 is a safer choice.
Day 2: Nested Iron Butt Association Bun Burner 1500 - 1500 miles (2414KM) in a total of 36 hours since leaving home. Destination Greely Colorado (North of Denver) which means I need to be there by 5PM on day 2.
You need to be in Greely by 3PM -- you are crossing 2 timezones.
...Day 3 + 4, work westwards towards western terminus of Eureka CA, or wherever somewhere east of there I end up, everything is flexible. Planning route through Rocky Mountains National Park and and open to suggestions westwards from there.

Eyeballing SR40 most of the way. Around 2000-2300km from Greely, or less if I log some more miles on Day 2 which is highly likely. Split between 2 days, so two probably 14-15 hour seat time days maximum, less if I log more miles on day 2. Great for me. Almost 15 hours of daylight this time of year. Could stretch this into part of day 5 if I wanted or needed. Eureka is just a "threw a dart at the dartboard" destination right now, but it's in the right vicinity to start Day 5-6 below.
If Eureka is on your list, I'd think about crossing the Rockies on I80 starting in Cheyenne and ending in Salt Lake. End in Ferndale or Eureka, then take Mattole Rd across the costal highlands, along the sea, then back through the giant redwoods of the Humbolt forest. Mattole Rd is desolate, and scenic and could use repaving in places. It's one of my drives/rides in California.
Day 5 - 6, North Coast Highway south towards Long beach. A little over 1000km total so 2 pretty leisurely days honestly, even including some stops for photos and such.
I presume you mean 101 to the PCH (Hwy 1) that runs down the coast. I think you'll find that's closer to 1300KM if you take the coastal highway. Eureka to Long Beach takes about 20 hours along the coast, 12 hours on the interior Interstates.
Night 6, bucket list item, a night aboard the historic Queen Mary in Long Beach. The whole point of the trip.

Day 7-9, highball it home. Interstate all the way, probably through Kansas so that there's not much same road backtracking. May or may not make at least 1 Iron Butt run, will depend greatly on how I feel on a daily basis, and weather. 4300km home, so 1400ish km each day, one long day and a few shorter.
Ive found the easiest drive, quickest, and least expensive bee-line route home is I40 -> I44 -> II70 -> I75.
You're crazy, but it's OK if you're a long-distance driver/rider and you're in shape. I wouldn't underestimate how tiring it is to ride the mountains, canyons, and coastal highways in the west. It's work, the altitude messes with you, and you will get tired and sore. The nice thing is once you hit the Mississippi, everything west will be blue skies.

One of my favorite riding areas in So Cal are the canyons inside Point Mugu, Santa Monica, and Topanga State Parks. Rather than explain it, just Google Maps Malibu and then look at the canyon roads between the coast and highway 101. My daily ride to and from work was along Decker Canyon Rd between Westlake and El Matador Beach.

You need to be in Greely by 3PM -- you are crossing 2 timezones.

Opposite. Colorado is 2 hours behind, not ahead.

You're actually gaining time riding east to west.

I know this because we just rode from BC to ON and lost an hour of ride time (actually sleep time) every couple of days, which really messed up our ride calculations.

Heading back west now, we're gaining an hour every couple of days now, which makes the ride nice and leisurely. Except for the odd Category 4 Hurricane...

PP is going to have to factor in losing an hour every TZ he crosses on his return trip, when he heads back east.

Are you
Opposite. Colorado is 2 hours behind, not ahead.

You're actually gaining time riding east to west.

I know this because we just rode from BC to ON and lost an hour of ride time (actually sleep time) every couple of days, which really messed up our ride calculations.

Heading back west now, we're gaining an hour every couple of days now, which makes the ride nice and leisurely. Except for the odd Category 4 Hurricane...

PP is going to have to factor in losing an hour every TZ he crosses on his return trip, when he heads back east.
Are you sure about that?

He's heading west. 5AM +36 hours is 5PM the next day in Toronto... which is 3PM next day in Greely CO.

Maybe one of our Horologists can chime in on this.

Are you

Are you sure about that?

He's heading west. 5AM +36 hours is 5PM the next day in Toronto... which is 3PM next day in Greely CO.

Maybe one of our Horologists can chime in on this.

You're not wrong, 5PM EST = 3PM MST. But your original wording implied he *needed* to arrive at 3PM, as if he's losing two hours.

Because he's riding 36 hours, he *will* arrive at 3PM CO time, which gives him two extra hours of ride time if he's aiming for a 5PM local arrival time.

You're not wrong, 5PM EST = 3PM MST. But your original wording implied he *needed* to arrive at 3PM, as if he's losing two hours.

Because he's riding 36 hours, he *will* arrive at 3PM CO time, which gives him two extra hours of ride time if he's aiming for a 5PM local arrival time.
He's gotta get to Greely by 3 PM local time.

His 5AM GTA departure puts the ride at 38 hrs if he hits Greely at 5PM local time.

For a guy with an IBA number, I get that last bit.

This will without doubt push my limits, but my two favourite mantras in life right now are “YOLO!” (You Only Live Once), and “Carpe Diem!” (Seize the day!).
Words to live by for sure! Well said. We all need this reminder.

The IBA goes by elapsed hours since departure in the case of time zone changes, so it's a cumulative total since departure, local time zone doesn't matter.

Yeah, I didn't take that into consideration in my original post when quoting times. Brain fart.

This is the reason I probably won't run any IBA rides on the eastbound legs as the daylight hours are shorter when making big miles eastbound. Going westbound with the sunset I'm gaining daylight hours. Going east against the sunset, I'm losing them. It may not sound like a big deal, but when you're covering 1000+km in a day directly west or east, it has a real world effect both ways.

Back
Top Bottom