Thinking about downsizing....anyone done it? | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Thinking about downsizing....anyone done it?

I have multiple bikes to pick from in the garage. The cbr125 is ridden more than the others put together.

In fact, I've used it so much that I now have a day of forced down time on that bike (brake pads are down to the metal).

Can you give a percentage split on the appeal aspect of the CBR125 in terms of motor characteristics and chassis dynamics? ie if the motor was tripled in power and/or torque and chassis dynamic same, would that lessen or enhance the experience? What about the reverse?

Can you give a percentage split on the appeal aspect of the CBR125 in terms of motor characteristics and chassis dynamics? ie if the motor was tripled in power and/or torque and chassis dynamic same, would that lessen or enhance the experience? What about the reverse?

another red herring post

I put 10,000kms on a Cbr 250 last year, fun little bike. When i saw my old bike that i had sold to buy the thumper re-listed on kijiji i had sellers remorse and sold the little guy. For me it needed just a little more poke, i think a Ninja 300 is the bike to own right now.

The rain and wind horror stories about small bikes make me laugh.

The rain and wind horror stories about small bikes make me laugh.

Well the usual pompous hype on small slower then ninja turdle speed bikes are just as silly as comparing a gas mower engine with a sport car motor :) lol

Last edited:
another red herring post

If you've ever ridden a KX500 you wouldn't say that................fade to uncleduck feverishly googling KX500......

Last edited:
23516335.jpg

Have I told you guys how much I love reading some of your posts?!

150 kmph on a 300 is easy...yes...easy..after that you will start to feel power loss...it'll top out around 19oish( don't ask! :p)

however, it's no SS!

I don't know how you will feel downgrading though..it's harsh compared to ..say a honda cbr 500...but its more "flickable"...

If you are over 5'10" you might have a problem with ergonomics.

Other than that It's a great bike...Maintenance is pretty easy as well. It'll take you from Kawarthas to Niagra falls in 1 tank! ( pun intended!) :)

Have you done a ride out of the GTA? How about to PA? The roads there are amazing. Worth keeping your bike just to do that once a year. Only think was the ride down there and back on a naked bike was tiring, but worth it for sure. Keep an eye in the touring section. If you only ride GTA ( mall to mall, timmies to timmies, etc) then the Ninja 300 will be good enough. Make sure you get the green one with Monster stickers. ;-)

you are Fing joking right?? right!

Mall to mall? Timmies to timmies? on a 300?

That's what SS are for! the 300 is a workhorse dude!Like the blue collar workers busting their balls to earn a living

SS= white collar dudes who just speculate on $ hit!

I would have no problems taking a 300 to PA

Thanks for the response! I'm not into hwy riding for this bike anyway, if I want to go on the HWY for long distance, I would get a cruiser.

Interesting. I own both, and if I hit the HWY I prefer the clean wind of a sport bike over the buffeting of a cruiser.

My 2 cents worth. I owned a couple of FZ6's. Currently own a ZZR250, a VFR, and a V-Star 950. Each bike has it's thing.

Ultimately I found I was riding the FZ6 too fast. You had to ring its neck to get any POP, but by then you had to slow down or lose your licence. I find that because the VFR has more lower down, you can still have fun without winding it out - meaning you have pull within the speed limit so you can still get a rush.

ZZR250 2-up, I don't think so. It's great for romping around the city but beyond that you have to put up with a bike screaming underneath you at 120. Yes it will do 170 but ...

And well, a cruiser's a cruiser.

150 kmph on a 300 is easy...yes...easy..after that you will start to feel power loss...it'll top out around 19oish( don't ask! :p)

however, it's no SS!

I don't know how you will feel downgrading though..it's harsh compared to ..say a honda cbr 500...but its more "flickable"...

If you are over 5'10" you might have a problem with ergonomics.

Other than that It's a great bike...Maintenance is pretty easy as well. It'll take you from Kawarthas to Niagra falls in 1 tank! ( pun intended!) :)

190ish, either your speedometer is out or you were dropped from an airplane... top speed is around 170 based on GPS tests and physics... still much higher than 150 though.

Not uncommon for motorcycle speedometers to be very optimistic at highish speeds.

V-twin sport bikes are a good in-between. You don't have to rev the snot out of them to get to the power so it's much more manageable and useable. If you want better ergonomics, a naked sv650 is a great bike. You can find them used for cheap and insurance won't empty your wallet because they're not classified as an SS. Just a thought.

I agree, give a v-twin sport like bike a try.

Last edited:
CBR250 and Ninja300 are neat bikes but bikes with engines that small should have matching chassis numbers. If a GSXR750 has a dry weight of 395lbs. there should be no reason these little bikes weigh what they do. Kind of a turn off. CBR 350 @ 290lbs would be sweet.

Sure there is, they cost half as much. You could make a 300lb 300, but then you are talking magnesium, aluminum, titanium, and the mentality is still that smaller bikes should cost less.

No one is going to pay $12K for a 300.

Formula 450 Super Single based on Open class MXer. 250lbs dry. That gives 30kg. (66lbs bag of cement for context) for street legal equipment. Not seeing anything exotic here.

Some of you guys are seriously saying a 300 is no good because it will only do 190 kph? How fast do you ride normally? I'm sure you're not all driving super cars when you're not on a bike so I don't see why having performance similar to a car is such a bad thing. Yeah if you wanna do 200 kph daily and run from the cops, a 300 is probably not the right bike.

Who cares if you need to wind it up to get some speed? That's half the fun. Wring it's neck. It's like a woman that likes it rough. ;)

My 125 weighs under 300 lbs and is still fine passing trucks at 150 in wind.

Some of you guys are seriously saying a 300 is no good because it will only do 190 kph? How fast do you ride normally? I'm sure you're not all driving super cars when you're not on a bike so I don't see why having performance similar to a car is such a bad thing. Yeah if you wanna do 200 kph daily and run from the cops, a 300 is probably not the right bike.

Who cares if you need to wind it up to get some speed? That's half the fun. Wring it's neck. It's like a woman that likes it rough. ;)

Passing trucks at 150 km/h on a 125CC bike?? Are you being dragged by another vehicle? :lmao:

All joking aside... How long does it take to go from 110-150?

I have to agree here as well -- just recently went from a CBR250RA I had for 2.5 years to a CBR650F. Biggest reason for the 'upgrade' was to have better passing power on the highway, and also to not have the bike screaming constantly when doing half/full-day rides far, far from the city.

Even with the 650, I've had a few people comment that I should have went bigger because a '600 is too slow for the street' or how they had a 600 and had to get a 750 or 1000 to feel 'safe'. I wonder about these people...I guess they must drive F1 cars or better to work everyday as even a Ferrari might not be fast enough to be 'safe'. lol.

I also say Supermoto.

But I ended up with a 2010 KTM Duke 690 for a city commuter with minimal highway. So fun.

The thing turns like my mountain bike. Its geared so that you're in 5th or 6th at 110kph. Im rowing through the gears on normal city streets - probably in 3rd at 70kph. Crazy brakes. Not cheap for a used bike though.

Passing trucks at 150 km/h on a 125CC bike?? Are you being dragged by another vehicle? :lmao:

All joking aside... How long does it take to go from 110-150?
I'll have to time it sometime. From what I recall it's not too bad but it sure doesn't go any faster than that, at least with stock gearing.

Keep in mind mine's a 2 stroke. I also weigh over 200 lbs without gear.

Last edited:

I think you are entirely missing the point, someone claimed he has done 190"ish" on his 300, on a bike forum where people may actually know bikes...when said 300 can only actually do 170 on a good day... And now a guy with a 125...

This has very little use in the real world (150 vs 170 vs 190...). The only thing that is important is how much acceleration the bike has at traffic flow to get you out of trouble if need be. As long as the "downsized" bike isn't sucking wind at 120 when you are trying to get out of the way of the truck merging into your lane, you are good...

Back
Top Bottom