Street Riding Lean Angles (according to iPhone) | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Street Riding Lean Angles (according to iPhone)

There's likely a way to measure the overall width of the rear tire, the tread width minus the chicken strips and come up with a mathematical formula to tell you angle of lean (divided by two). I'm not a mathematician but I think you folks are working too hard at this.

I'm a little surprised some tire manufacturer hasn't done this. Cut lean angles into the tread pattern. Not entirely accurate due to rim width or tire pressure and it measures bike angle not bike plus rider angle but it would cost nothing and I could see some people caring. Although the people that care are also likely the people that can't reach the limit and wouldn't want it to be so obvious that they are full of crap.

Metzeler puts their logo on the edge of the tire along with marks for lean angle indicator.

Slay the Elephant!

DTHRuTC.jpg

We used to chalk up the sides and do the Lawrence butterfly, but alas.

These guys use the iphone telemetry data to calculate/extrapolate.

Seen some people using it at the track with decent enough comparison against the onboard ones and other aftermarket ones. So, my guess is your iphone is good enough. But just assume you're at 65 degrees draggin ass and elbow.

Metzeler puts their logo on the edge of the tire along with marks for lean angle indicator.

Slay the Elephant!

DTHRuTC.jpg

Here's the full range:

1659990754307.png

I like how they've left '5' well within reach of most riders, making the elephant's lines a little more discreet. Sort of like sizing men's shoes smaller so the ego is stroked when a true size 10.5 seems to fit a 12...

Pirelli makes an app (Diablo Super Biker) that claims to record lean angle, but no idea about accuracy. Anything from a phone will be a general guess at best, as the cornering forces are very different from simply holding a phone and tilting it.

Any modern bike with a full-range IMU should monitor lean angle data, though. My Tuono has a lean angle indicator on the dash, which I can't make go away, despite it eating up a lot of space:

1659991720832.png

If you're anywhere that you might be impressing yourself with a high lean angle, admiring your line on the dash is probably not best advised. You can also record the data to your phone, which is marginally more useful if you care about that stuff, though if you're chasing lap times, lean angle is less helpful than speed, throttle and brake data. In some ways, a higher lean angle may be an indication you need to hang off more. The lap timer function is more useful, assuming you have a sacrificial handset or are willing to bin your new iPhone...

It won't tell you the angle of the phone relative to a surface plane, angle will be relative to the arm/string holding it.

That's pretty much what I said. If you're leaned over in a corner on a 10° hill the phone will be measuring a compound angle to true vertical.

That's pretty much what I said. If you're leaned over in a corner on a 10° hill the phone will be measuring a compound angle to true vertical.
I'm not sure we're saying the same thing. When static, your phone will be measuring that compound angle. When moving, it will be something entirely diffferent.

I'm not sure we're saying the same thing. When static, your phone will be measuring that compound angle. When moving, it will be something entirely diffferent.

I just tried it. When I tilt the phone in 2 axis it skews the reading (measuring to true vertical). When I tilt the phone in one axis, hold it at arm's length and spin 360° it remains constant, so no.

Found another article placing MotoGP bikes at 65 degrees max - wow, that’s beyond any mere mortal abilities anyway, so 40ish sounds about right for the street. My rear S22 dosn’t have elephants so it’s scrubbed all the way to the edge so I would assume regular street tires not meant for 65 degree either :)
Great info, thanks everyone for input.

If you're willing to entertain an unsolicited opinion, 40 degrees doesn't sound too outlandish but if you're riding right to the edge of the tire on the street there's a good chance that you're riding way too hard, or you have poor body position, or both. It's hard to make generalizations without seeing you ride, though. I will say that my time on track has made me a lot more conservative on the street.

I looked into this “Elephant Killer” tire - Metzeler M5 Interact - lot’s of noise on the web, but it seems you can’t buy it in Canada, at least I couldn’t find it available.. So anyone here actually has/had this tire?

I looked into this “Elephant Killer” tire - Metzeler M5 Interact - lot’s of noise on the web, but it seems you can’t buy it in Canada, at least I couldn’t find it available.. So anyone here actually has/had this tire?

IIRC, the M5 is not the only Metzeler with the elephant on the edge.

My wife's old R1200ST came with OEM Sportecs (not the M5) and it had the elephant logo on the edge.

If you're willing to entertain an unsolicited opinion, 40 degrees doesn't sound too outlandish but if you're riding right to the edge of the tire on the street there's a good chance that you're riding way too hard, or you have poor body position, or both. It's hard to make generalizations without seeing you ride, though. I will say that my time on track has made me a lot more conservative on the street.

+1

Lean angle is just one metric that is not that useful without any other information.

I can achieve 40 degrees of lean while making tight U-turns at 15 km/h by counter-balancing the bike.

DSC_0480-L.jpg

I have been using only meztelers since 1987. And yes I have used that tire.

Back
Top Bottom