SS bikes as daily commuters? | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

SS bikes as daily commuters?

I do it and love it except the heat. The heat/sweating is the worse so I end up going in a tshirt a lot which I don't like for safety reasons.

Sometimes I wish I had a DRZ400SM or a Hypermotard tho. Probably a lighter SM would be better for around town.

While the law treats a SS bike the same as an 18-wheeler, you are still more maneuverable, so it saves you a bit of time. Definitely shorter commutes for me from southern e-dot to richman's hill, which is across and up/down Toronto (as bad as it gets). Definitely saved on fuel and the comfort factor wasn't too bad.. However, I had flex time, so I was working 10:30-18:30, thus avoiding the worst of the rush hour traffic.

yeah, i think it depends on the city you live in? In the Toronto area i probably wouldn't ride my bike to commute (gsxr600) but since i'm in a smaller town i love riding to/from work, soccer, lunch meets etc :) i see the pros as in: Gas, driving around made fun, front row parking. the only con for me is: helmet hair at work haha

I have an EX500 for commuting but it's hard to resist taking the Ducati. I don't care much about comfort and the Duc gets great gas mileage, I took it every day last year from March till the end of September.

I used an SS to go DT for two years rain or shine, dressed business professional. You get used to it after time, it's no Cadi but it sure beats the hell out of the TTC. That and free parking, I love free parking.

I'll be riding my F4i from Barrie to Markham on nicer days.

I'm really looking forward to it. :)

worst gas mileage.

least comfortable.

traction is the same unless you're looking at ABS or TC models.

max performance, minimum comfort.

If you are asking these questions you are looking at an SS for all the wrong reasons, the only reason to buying an SS to commute is if you love the looks of them or want that peak performance there is zero comfort and parcticality to commuting on these things. That being said I commute on mine and love it.

i agree its not the best but i still enjoy it and go to work with it hah

Another question regarding commuting:
How comfortable would be to ride a street fighter (no windscreen) on highway, ~80km one way?
That means ~ 50min ride at 100-120km/hour with head shaking from wind :)
80km isnt that bad. i rode my street triple around for longer rides and never really had issues. i only started to feel tired after pulling 400km in a day. the head shaking isnt that much different from a supersport, and if you tuck down near the tank it pretty much disappears.

as for commuting on an ss. not comfortable at all. gas mileage in around a civic. in the rain it handles like anything else. yet i love it. but my street triple was infinitely more comfortable than my r6 or daytona. i ride approx 20km highway one way on my commute everyday.

Back
Top Bottom