SS bikes as daily commuters? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

SS bikes as daily commuters?

I also use my SS exclusively during the summer. Except for in heavy rainfall. Gas consumption is definitely better on the SS than in my car. Insurance is also cheaper on the SS than my car (stupid insurance companies).

The commute is 3 or so KM to work and same amount of KM back. I don't hit any traffic going to work but coming back there is some traffic especially at the intersection getting out of my workplace. Takes about 5 minutes to get through the intersection itself. Other than the the whole commute time is not bad.

ss bikes are no more practical than sports cars.

i have one because i wanted something shiny

One of the main reasons why I sold my SS. lol I go (ie. get stuck) up and down the DVP daily.
I found the time I actually use it for open road riding is a fraction of when I use it for commuting (which is 90% of the time).

I say look for a sport tourer if you'll be commuting a lot but still want the occasional weekend twisty fun.

Last edited:
Superbikes are even more brutal than a SS. With 1st gear being even longer, you're stuck holding the clutch in half way the majority of the time in stop-and-go. Hand cramps are brutal.

With that said, aside from stop-and-go, I love riding in to work on my GSXR1000.

Take my SS 30kms to work and 30kms home each day, but super fast when lane splitting. :D

I think the slight differences between different supersports get magnified x1000 when you're commuting in stop and go. I had a Triumph T595 and commuting on it SUCKED - I'd be feathering the heavy clutch constantly (the bike would idle at 40kph in first gear), the clip-ons were at a weird angle that cramped my wrists, it put out so much heat that sweat would be pouring off me even with my jacket totally open and my gloves jammed in the triple tree, and the steering was pretty heavy at low speeds.

The ZX11 is pretty tame is comparison, but it's not really an SS either. However if you were talking about like a newish CBR600RR (07+), or a last-gen R6 commuting on it would likely not be a problem.

My reason for not commuting is for safety reasons. Going downtown Toronto or any big city with a motorcycle is just asking to get cut off to rear ended. Soon as I jump on my SS, I get as far away from the City as possible.

Asking these questions sounds like you're not ready to handle a SS, But i could be wrong I don't know you're riding history.

Be safe out there.

Agreed. Your question is like asking "will running make me tired?" are you running for 10 seconds or 2 hours? What type of running shoes? lol

Depending on your distance of commute and body shape, different models of SS will be more comfortable. My R6 was brutal on the wrists, but my 636 was super comfortable even on moderate drives (1hour long).

How many of you use your super sport on a daily basis?
Me

How's gas mileage?
18km each way (into downtown) x 2, x 6 between fill ups. Always a bit in the tank so probably in the order of 17 L fill ups. = about 12.7 km / L or 7.9L / 100km, which is better than my Kia Spectra's ideal highway cruising consumption.

Comfortability?
I keep my suspension at my track day settings. It's rough! Getting worse with the horrible state of the roads. But it makes me feel like a man-champ so I keep it. Can be hard on the wrists. 45 mins highway cruising shows signs of numb fingers, numb bum, and num feet. Never get numb in the city though, no matter how long I ride.

Traction and control in the rain?
I don't have problems. Needs a sure sensitive throttle hand tho!!! But extreme care must also be taken on streetcar tracks and those crappy new pelican crossing white bands!!!! They make no sense at all!!! In fact in the UK they have started laying extra grippy tarmac in the 50m leading up to an intersection. Those white lines were a backward poorly thought out copy cat move on the part of the city.

Comfortability and performance in comparison to a sport tourer on a scale of 1-10?
I got no idea, I don't no no better. Delivered a zzr600 once and it felt like a lazyboy-couch. Ignorance is bliss, better I don't know what a comfy bike feels like.

Agreed. Your question is like asking "will running make me tired?" are you running for 10 seconds or 2 hours? What type of running shoes? lol

Depending on your distance of commute and body shape, different models of SS will be more comfortable. My R6 was brutal on the wrists, but my 636 was super comfortable even on moderate drives (1hour long).

I thought brad Pitt rides these custom choppers lol

How many of you use your super sport on a daily basis?

How's gas mileage?

Comfortability?

Traction and control in the rain?

Comfortability and performance in comparison to a sport tourer on a scale of 1-10?

I see tons of sport bikes commuting, especially into the inner city, just as many as non sport bikes. Though, one thing, I dont see many HD's commuting into the city.

I do see the odd "hard arse" riding through the city, though I dont think they are commuting.. just showing off to the ladies at lunch time... I mean, why would you be blipping your throttle at the lights.. ;) lol

I haven't chimed in because I don't have an SS, but the best daily commuter is a scooter of some sort. I've seen a 450 cc scooter (Bergman Executive with all the bells and whistles) without a ticket parked on the sidewalk beside a 250 cc motorcycle with a ticket.

I beg to differ.. depends how far you commute and where to.. one mans commute may be from Richmond Hill to Bay st.. another;s - Ajax to Bloor.
I would guess its the "downtown" factor that is the killer.. ie. How much riding is in the inner city core.. thats a killer. My old commute was to the edge of the city centre so I was lucky.

I use my SS as much as possible and when the weather permits. My round trip for work is 50km. Gas mileage on my SS is a little worse than my old F4, and when I do day/weekend trips I have to fill-up a few more times. However, none of that really bothers me as I'd rather be on my bike than sitting in my cage.

Last edited:
I see tons of sport bikes commuting, especially into the inner city, just as many as non sport bikes. Though, one thing, I dont see many HD's commuting into the city.

I do see the odd "hard arse" riding through the city, though I dont think they are commuting.. just showing off to the ladies at lunch time... I mean, why would you be blipping your throttle at the lights.. ;) lol

The IAC didn't work too well, I had to do that or it would stall. :p

I will be commuting downtown (from Pickering to spadina but my work is close to the highway) but it's not too bad on my 250. Probably because I'm not in the CORE just around it (Bathurst and dundas)

On my Sport TOURER, FZ6R, I commute ~90km (each way) from near Orangeville to eastern downtown Toronto. I know this isn't a super sport, but it is a little bent over and so far it's not that bad commuting in. Sure, during stop and go it can get tedious, but if you just realize and go through it not constantly getting mad then you'll be fine. IMO it's no worse than driving a manual car (which I do lol).

As for gas mileage, just remember that many SS bikes take premium. So their 40, or so, mpg, isn't the same as your cars mpg.

For me it costs ~$17.50 to drive my car, or ~$12 to drive my bike (again, a sport tourer, not a SS). That being said insurance totals any 'savings' that lower gas costs gets me.

I ride my 929RR from Alliston to Dufferin & Wilson daily just around a 200km trip, its not bad once i get on the 400, and alot cheaper then my truck.:D

I ride to work on an ss everyday from Ajax to Mississauga ( 60km one way) and yes, in traffic can suck, but wouldnt change it for anything!
as soon, as the traffic open up, that sweet bliss of the open road is alll worth it!!

I ride an RC51 to work from Peterborough to Stouffville. I have a stock seat... The cramping is incredible ! It also sucks more gas than my Yaris. It's more fun though.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom