Speed camera update (Sept.11) | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Speed camera update (Sept.11)

Cash grab anyways. I knew about the 10th line Mountainview one. Lots of people not stopping for a full 3 seconds, and getting nailed.
A long time ago I got stopped by a cop for not putting my feet down at a stop sign. I showed him that I could balance for 2-3 seconds with the wheels not moving so he had to let me off. He didn't like that. Nothing to do with speeding, your results may differ.

Cash grab anyways. I knew about the 10th line Mountainview one. Lots of people not stopping for a full 3 seconds, and getting nailed.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
Where is 3 seconds in the law? Stopped is stopped. Hta requires "full and complete stop". On a red light camera, many people run well over the stop bar before stopping if turning right. That is against the law and could get you a ticket.

Well, I can tell you that at our local school there are kids and parents walking, crossing the street, entering and exiting cars for 20 - 30 minutes in the AM and then PM. It's a busy place with hundreds of people coming and going. The 30 zone is a couple of 200 - 300 metres in length + there is a stop sign in front of the school, slowing down is not a huge imposition.

I have no issues with traffic calming in school zones, but how is a speed camera effective if all it does is fine you AFTER you've committed an offense? I think giant speed bumps would be more effective and cost taxpayers less.

Where is 3 seconds in the law? Stopped is stopped. Hta requires "full and complete stop". On a red light camera, many people run well over the stop bar before stopping if turning right. That is against the law and could get you a ticket.
Just looked it up.

You are correct.

Apparently "Driving schools often teach 3 seconds, but that's not the law... "

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

I have no issues with traffic calming in school zones, but how is a speed camera effective if all it does is fine you AFTER you've committed an offense? I think giant speed bumps would be more effective and cost taxpayers less.
Speed bumps cost a fortune in vehicle maintenance cameras you have a choice when properly signed.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

The one near our school was going to sleep every Friday and woke back up on Monday mornings.

Yea people speed much faster right in front of the school between 2 stop signs 400m apart. And it’s scary with all the kids walking about.

Funny how one street going east west has speed bumps. But north south doesn’t…which is the one in front of 2 schools!

?? All tickets are issued to you after you commit an offense. Is the financial penalty any different whether you're aware of it 2 minutes after the offence, or 2 weeks later?

I received a ticket for 46 in a 30 in a school zone a few km from our house. Don't drive by there often. Slowed down through it, but sped up too early. Saw the flash and a few weeks later got a ticket for about $125.

Because I got a ticket, and don't want another one, I'm especially careful in all school zones now.

Can you image anyone who received a couple of school zone tickets continuing to speed through these areas. Most people are not idiots and will change their behavior.

In Mississauga the new speed bumps tend to have gaps in them. For a regular passenger vehicle you have no choice but to have at least one side go over the bumps as they are wider than your track. BUT larger vehicles like school busses, fire trucks, ambulances have a wide enough track that their wheels could entirely run in the gaps between the bumps. I guess they do nothing to slow motorcycles as you can zip through the gap... Someone was thinking or it was just dumb luck...

Now what amazes me.... I see three options for a regular passenger vehicle:

1) Drive with one set of wheels over one bump and the other over the other bump. Near maximum height on both sets.
2) One set of wheels goes in the gap, the other over the bump. Medium to maximum height on one set of wheels.
3) Straddle the bump so both sides go over just a little of the bump (edges) on each side of it, it is actually very small. <- what I do

The amazes me part, many (maybe most??) locals seem to take option 1 which is the worse one IMO. Drive up, almost stop, go over the highest points on two bumps with all wheels.

In Mississauga the new speed bumps tend to have gaps in them. For a regular passenger vehicle you have no choice but to have at least one side go over the bumps as they are wider than your track. BUT larger vehicles like school busses, fire trucks, ambulances have a wide enough track that their wheels could entirely run in the gaps between the bumps. I guess they do nothing to slow motorcycles as you can zip through the gap... Someone was thinking or it was just dumb luck...

Now what amazes me.... I see three options for a regular passenger vehicle:

1) Drive with one set of wheels over one bump and the other over the other bump. Near maximum height on both sets.
2) One set of wheels goes in the gap, the other over the bump. Medium to maximum height on one set of wheels.
3) Straddle the bump so both sides go over just a little of the bump (edges) on each side of it, it is actually very small. <- what I do

The amazes me part, many (maybe most??) locals seem to take option 1 which is the worse one IMO. Drive up, almost stop, go over the highest points on two bumps with all wheels.
The pavement princesses almost always do option 4. You drive a lifted jeep and are afraid of a speedbump. Facepalm.

My car doesn't have a ton of ground clearance and has a plastic oil pan so I do option 2. I am worried that option 3 could get incredibly expensive if the wheels come up a bit and the pan catches on the bump.

?? All tickets are issued to you after you commit an offense. Is the financial penalty any different whether you're aware of it 2 minutes after the offence, or 2 weeks later?

My point exactly. If we want to be effective at reducing speeding, we need to be proactive, not retroactive. If we can't get police presence, then at least something with asinilar effect - like I said, conspicuous signs/lights with clear communication of the consequences.

As to your questions, it's not the financial penalty, it's the change in behaviour. Some people can afford to treat it as a fine. Others will just be more vigilant in the future looking for the camers. And if they're not easy to spot, or the driver isn't paying attention, the behaviour won't necessarily change.

I received a ticket for 46 in a 30 in a school zone a few km from our house. Don't drive by there often. Slowed down through it, but sped up too early. Saw the flash and a few weeks later got a ticket for about $125.

Because I got a ticket, and don't want another one, I'm especially careful in all school zones now.

Can you image anyone who received a couple of school zone tickets continuing to speed through these areas. Most people are not idiots and will change their behavior.

If it were in my neighborhood or on a route I take regularly, you're right. But if it's somewhere I've never driven beofre or rarely, I'll forget by the time I go through it again, if ever. Not all these cameras are in school zones.

If it were in my neighborhood or on a route I take regularly, you're right. But if it's somewhere I've never driven beofre or rarely, I'll forget by the time I go through it again, if ever. Not all these cameras are in school zones.
I bet 2 or 3 tickets in your memory will start to improve.

Back
Top Bottom