Solution to traffic | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Solution to traffic

What irks me is the volume of semis on highways at peak rush hours. Semis are slow to accelerate to highway speeds & take far longer to stop and when they merge (or encounter merging traffic) their bulk and inability or unwillingness to yield leads to backups and slow-downs.

To address those comments.

- Yes, there's lots of us. The greater majority you see in Toronto are just passing through. The 401 is the busiest highway in north america, and trust me, a lot of those drivers have no desire to see Toronto except when it's in their mirrors. Again, in a perfect world every driver on the face of the planet would avoid big cities during rush hours, but that's never going to happen as there's a million variables that make it impossible.

- Yes, we are slow to accelerate, but we try to have to do it as little as possible by maintaining inertia. That said, when we get stuck in traffic and the centipede effect starts it's inevitable we become part of it, and if you try to maintain a constant speed and "smooth" the centipede 5 cars will jam themselves into the open space you leave making it impossible. Trust me. When we're at speed and a vehicle jumps in front of us and slows down (often for no apparent reason, it's frustrating as ****) we loose inertia and it takes a lot of time for us to build it back up. Cut us off and we have to slam on the brakes, seame thing. When you weigh as much as we do inertia rules the world, but amongst ourselves we are exceptionally good at avoiding situations that require us to loose it - throwing cars into the mix changes all that as they simply don't understand things. In other words, car drivers are almost always at fault for creating the very problems that frustrate car drivers.

- Unwillingness to yield? Often inability. Come sit in the passenger seat for a day with a driver of a semi and you'd soon experience what we deal with. Put on your signal to change lanes to let traffic merge? Some cager often immediately (it seems almost instinctually) accelerate to block as they don't want to get stuck behind the big evil truck, so we no longer HAVE the option to move over to let you merge. Sometimes moving over puts us in a situation where we'd loose so much momentum that we'd become an obstacle in the middle lane (ie, someone in the middle land going drastically slower than us) and then we get stuck out there with traffic blowing past us on the right, we can't get back up to speed propertly, and it presents a safety issue. Don't get me started on the cage drivers who don't even know how to merge properly to begin with.

When a driver can safely move over for merging traffic, the professionals amongst us do so. We have no desire to tangle with you, intentionally or accidentally, and onramps are famous for accidents, but you have to understand that often there's things beyond our control or ability that prevents it. In the end, in that case, it's still (by the letter of the law) the responsibility of

Are there idiots amongst us? Yep, and without doubt some use the size of their vehicles to their advantage, but to paint the 2 or 3 idiots you may see out there as to suggest the other 500 you never noticed are all the same isn't fair. As with many situations there's often reasons for our actions, but unless you're in our drivers seat you'd never understand them.

Lastly:

Blackfin said:
When they're involved in crashes people often die and three lanes of a highway end up blocked for hours and hours.

Statistically (Feel free to look it up) the overwhelming majority of accidents involving trucks are caused by car drivers. Do car drivers loose in such situations? Absolutely..but the same can be said for Motorcycle vs car, car vs train, car vs bus, etc etc - we don't automatically demonize the other vehicle if the person who caused the accident to begin with got hurt as a result, do we?

When a motorcycle crashes often people die as well and the same thing happens. There's just less to clean up...but again, I've always refused to feel guilty about a truck accident when I hear that it was directly caused by a car. Yes, I know it inconveniences people and it sucks, hell, I've got tied up in truck accident scenes myself and don't enjoy it, but I keep things in perspective - not the truckers fault.

Hey, I have an idea. Let's dismantle the Gardiner, and force everyone to watch trains shunt,
while they're on their way to and from work. Nah, nobody would be foolish enough to accept that.
Oh wait . . .

Good perspective. What looks better to people in this thread...

This?

traffic-77n-july7-745amjpg-3ac2573c0e5530a6.jpg

....or this....at every third intersection all through the ​entire city, since some suggest direct rail to retail is the solution?

bilde

lol

Idea: Ban certain large trucks during rush hour to ease congestion
Objection: It would cost us money!

Seriously, that's what the objection boils down to? I mean it may be a bad idea for many reasons, but expecting something for nothing is retarded.

To address those comments. ...

Sounds like you should be coming down on the side of advocating for a limitation of the interaction of cars and semis on the highways during rush-hours by some sort of "time division multiplexing" scheme...

Sounds like you should be coming down on the side of advocating for a limitation of the interaction of cars and semis on the highways during rush-hours by some sort of "time division multiplexing" scheme...

There is no perfect solution short of separating the two completely, which truck drivers would love. Watch almost 100% heavy truck traffic flow through the night and things go smoothly, the same would be happening at the height of rush hours if we weren't mixed with cars.

In absence of this perfect world scenario that will never be, we all just need to learn to get along. If cars understood trucks better it would help alleviate a lot of the issues, or at least reduce them.

In absence of this perfect world scenario that will never be, we all just need to learn to get along. If cars understood trucks better it would help alleviate a lot of the issues, or at least reduce them.
I happen to agree with this. I observe the way cars behave around trucks and just shake my head, completely oblivious to the fact that they need all that space in front of them as a buffer to brake, it isn't a space to squeeze in and then brake hard in front of a truck.

People are either stupid an unaware or complete ********, my opinion is 60 percent ******** and 40 stupid unaware (those that drive this way)

But also - That 18 Wheeler has no business on the center lane when he is not passing any other truck.

But largely trucking is less expensive than rail, so we truck. And a box car holds about three trucks of product so if you don't want three trucks in one shot...

But that's what's upside down with rail in NA. It's supposed to be cheaper than truck (except for really long hauls like Vancouver-Toronto for example which currently cost less, but shorter runs like Toronto-Montreal not so)k, bur rather it's considered rarity, whether cargo or passenger. Makes no sense and never will. NA doesn't know how to do rail efficiently. It's decades past Europe in that regard and will stay there for long time, probably ever.

Surely it's not for every sort of transport and scenario, bur imagine you could move 20-30% of truck traffic to full rail traffic, it would help immensely ..... but that's not something the truck lobby wants to hear.

But also - That 18 Wheeler has no business on the center lane when he is not passing any other truck.

Yes, and no. If I'm on an open stretch of road I have no desire to be in the center lane.

If passing through a city or an area where there are lots of on and offramps, we tend to hang there instead of switching back and forth. Why?

- We're in the right lane trying to manage momentum. Car starts to merge, doesn't accelerate properly (biggest most frustrating issue I deal with on a daily basis), paces us instead, often gives us the finger (because we're not moving over to let him/her merge at 50KPH below traffic flow, fails to notice car beside us so we CAN'T move over) and then I have two options - continue on, or slow down to let him merge. If I slow down it can take me 1 or 2 kilometers to get back up to speed again and now (as demonstrated in the this thread) I'm annoying other people by being that "big slow truck" in their way. If I'm on a hill I might *never* get that speed back until I crest the hill. Now people are starting to pile up behind me.

- Trying to constantly change lanes is difficult. If I switch to the right lane when there's another on/offramp a few kilometers up the road chances are good I'm going to be looking to change *back* to the center lane in short order because of traffic on that ramp. Now, this is where most people don't think much about the realities of trucks. Hookup 53 feet of trailer behind your car and see what it's like to change lanes when nobody wants to let you. At 70 feet long I need the space of 8 to 12 cars to change lanes, but how often do you see idiots that (as I mentioned) speed up to prevent us from changing lanes, or sit there oblivious to our blinker? So, I made it to the middle lane, probably after having had to slow down to do so, now I have to change back again - repeat all those issues all over again, including (surprisingly often) the guy we moved over to let merge now sitting in our blind spot pacing us...so I have to slow down again to get back over since speeding up isn't an option - we are electronically governed to 105KPH max.

Now, drive the 50K across Toronto while repeating that over, and over, and over again. Throw in plenty of impatient ***** who cut us off, drive in our blind spots, slow down in front of us for no apparent reason, can't merge properly, can't exit properly (the OFFRAMP is for decelerating, not the highway), etc etc.

Does that demonstrate why some of us take the middle lane and tend to hang onto it while in heavy traffic?

It's really one of those situations where you need to walk a mile in our shoes. Spend some time in the jumpseat and you'd understand.

There should be cops monitoring on ramps for lackluster mergers. This is one matrix point on the motoring spectrum that clearly demonstrates the need for uppers or Red Bull.

Some of you guys should really do a ride along with a truck driver to see the BS they have to go through all day every day. They're regulated up the wazoo, payed peanuts by the mile, treated like crap by the vast majority of car drivers everywhere and then get blamed for causing all the traffic/collisions/pollution/delays/wars/famines/etc.

But please, write more articles about how the truck inconvenience you on your morning commute to and from the city by yourself in a car hauling no cargo.

Yes, and no. If I'm on an open stretch of road I have no desire to be in the center lane.

If passing through a city or an area where there are lots of on and offramps, we tend to hang there instead of switching back and forth. Why?

- We're in the right lane trying to manage momentum. Car starts to merge, doesn't accelerate properly (biggest most frustrating issue I deal with on a daily basis), paces us instead, often gives us the finger (because we're not moving over to let him/her merge at 50KPH below traffic flow, fails to notice car beside us so we CAN'T move over) and then I have two options - continue on, or slow down to let him merge. If I slow down it can take me 1 or 2 kilometers to get back up to speed again and now (as demonstrated in the this thread) I'm annoying other people by being that "big slow truck" in their way. If I'm on a hill I might *never* get that speed back until I crest the hill. Now people are starting to pile up behind me.

- Trying to constantly change lanes is difficult. If I switch to the right lane when there's another on/offramp a few kilometers up the road chances are good I'm going to be looking to change *back* to the center lane in short order because of traffic on that ramp. Now, this is where most people don't think much about the realities of trucks. Hookup 53 feet of trailer behind your car and see what it's like to change lanes when nobody wants to let you. At 70 feet long I need the space of 8 to 12 cars to change lanes, but how often do you see idiots that (as I mentioned) speed up to prevent us from changing lanes, or sit there oblivious to our blinker? So, I made it to the middle lane, probably after having had to slow down to do so, now I have to change back again - repeat all those issues all over again, including (surprisingly often) the guy we moved over to let merge now sitting in our blind spot pacing us...so I have to slow down again to get back over since speeding up isn't an option - we are electronically governed to 105KPH max.

Now, drive the 50K across Toronto while repeating that over, and over, and over again. Throw in plenty of impatient ***** who cut us off, drive in our blind spots, slow down in front of us for no apparent reason, can't merge properly, can't exit properly (the OFFRAMP is for decelerating, not the highway), etc etc.

Does that demonstrate why some of us take the middle lane and tend to hang onto it while in heavy traffic?

It's really one of those situations where you need to walk a mile in our shoes. Spend some time in the jumpseat and you'd understand.

Oh it's completely understandable. It's the same reason that many slow cars do it. Unfortunately, big slow trucks are even harder to pass than slow cars, passing on the right isn't the safest thing, especially with drivers who can't even be bothered to drive in the proper lane.

But then again, we're talking professional drivers rather than amateur here. Back in the old days, professional drivers would never think of being in the wrong lane, unfortunately, the times they are a changin'.

[video=youtube;e7qQ6_RV4VQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7qQ6_RV4VQ[/video]

But then again, we're talking professional drivers rather than amateur here. Back in the old days, professional drivers would never think of being in the wrong lane

If us professional drivers were sharing the road with professional car drivers, this whole debate would be unnecessary - most of the things that cause issues between the two would never happen to begin with.

A huge part of the problems today have to do with the fact that the MTO has made it so unbelievably easy to get a drivers licence that there's no skill required anymore, just a regurgitation of what the the $99 "driver training" mill in Toronto taught people in 2 or 3 days, which is just enough, when regurgitated in the correct order, to pass the road test. To add insult to injury, a lot of Toronto driver training companies (using the term loosely) take their students into the far north to do their road test. Go up to Bancroft but for one example and you'll be amazed at all the Toronto student driver cars up there....because, ya know, doing your road test in Bancroft is akin to driving in Toronto, right?

Don't even get me started on how comparatively easy it is to get a class A licence...which, admittedly, has a lot to do with the decreasing quality of our workforce, at least in urban areas. Yes, it's a problem, but keep in mind the majority of us are still professionals - our jobs and livelihoods depend on us not smashing into things or getting tickets otherwise we become uninsurable in a hurry.

Some of you guys should really do a ride along with a truck driver to see the BS they have to go through all day every day. They're regulated up the wazoo, payed peanuts by the mile, treated like crap by the vast majority of car drivers everywhere and then get blamed for causing all the traffic/collisions/pollution/delays/wars/famines/etc.

But please, write more articles about how the truck inconvenience you on your morning commute to and from the city by yourself in a car hauling no cargo.

Good to see some see the other side of the story. Myself, I work for a great company, get paid by the hour (although I'm a local P&D driver now, my open road days are long behind me), and I work out in the country now for the most part (covering daily about a 400 sq KM area between Peterborough east to Madoc, Tweed, and Trenton, and west), and in general I have it really darned good, but it took me nearly a decade in the industry (an some luck to have that sort of job fall into my lap) before I got that job 10+ years ago, but I'm very aware that the greater majority of the drivers in my industry are dealing with exactly what you type above. It's real.

In my mind there's no question that on average truckers are the best drivers on the road, exponentially better than the average car driver. The suggestion to ban certain trucks during rush hour shouldn't be taken as a criticism of truckers, it's just an idea (good or bad) to alleviate congestion.

I kinda miss that snow plow guy, Gunz I think he called himself. You can learn a lot about Tonka toys from the revolving talent pool.

I kinda miss that snow plow guy, Gunz I think he called himself. You can learn a lot about Tonka toys from the revolving talent pool.

Did someone scare him away already?..

Did someone scare him away already?..

I sure hope not. I really enjoyed his earnestness and his curriculum vitae in the unionized moving of snow was second to none. Also split wood like nobody's business.

Stop buying ****! Problem solved.
Lol, if you live like the people around Kitchener... The Mennonites, we can solve all problems. No pollution, no traffic jams, no global warming.

Where's my Nobel prize?

Back
Top Bottom