Solution to traffic | GTAMotorcycle.com

Solution to traffic

So would we actually need depots, or would transport companies just move everything between 9-4 / 7pm-6a? Can they effectively move anything during rush hour anyway?

the trucks aren't the problem. they occupy the space of 4 cars maybe 5 on the road. The problem is 4 or 5 cars, that could use mass transit but wont walk from the car to a train station , or the commute is a car/train/subway/hike and they wont accept the inconvenience. Offices that cant or wont offer flex start and finish times to mitigate traffic. To say nothing of the dude with a pickup truck putting out more hp than the transport he's following, 4dr and 22" mudders, he's in it alone.

My son is a journalist, they don't write news anymore they write stories to sell advertising space.

the trucks aren't the problem. they occupy the space of 4 cars maybe 5 on the road. The problem is 4 or 5 cars, that could use mass transit but wont walk from the car to a train station , or the commute is a car/train/subway/hike and they wont accept the inconvenience. Offices that cant or wont offer flex start and finish times to mitigate traffic. To say nothing of the dude with a pickup truck putting out more hp than the transport he's following, 4dr and 22" mudders, he's in it alone.

My son is a journalist, they don't write news anymore they write stories to sell advertising space.

so. much. THIS ^^ !!!

Also, with trucks spending less time on the road, goods will take longer to arrive at their destination, creating less supply & more demand = higher prices for goods. AKA the last friggin thing we (as consumers) ever need.

I say we encourage more people to ride motorcycles and bicycles. Replace those 4-5 cars with more two-wheelers, and increase infrastructure to support car-free commuting in the city; I don't understand why anyone in the downtown core would drive a car into work.

Here in the 'burbs, the problem is MUCH more spread out, and thus much more difficult to tackle. We need better traffic light programming, more freeways, dedicated lanes, more options for travel. I wish Steeles Ave. had an underground freeway underneath it :(

Articles like this show a complete and total detachment from reality. I wholeheartedly agree with crank above, this is nothing but a sensational story that without doubt a lot of people will agree to, but as mentioned isn't based on realities are facts.

The economy doesn't stop during rush hour, neither can trucks if society wants all the benefits and conveniences they've unknowingly become accustomed to because of them. People have absolutely no idea that almost everything they touch and consume on a daily basis got into your hands via a truck.

If the clueless journalists that write this sort of tripe actually came and spent a few days in the industry and understood it's realities they would be embarrassed to even have put those words to print.

But hey, it's easy to write about something that gets people all riled up, even if it's not based on reality, right? The first few lines of Cranks response above is a very insightful piece of the overall pie, not to mention the other realities about how freight gets from A to B.

Good luck with that proposal ... It will never happen in densely populated North America ... Maybe easily done in the middle of nowhere, but then they don't have a traffic problem.

The problem really is, no alternative to car for far too many. It will take decades to correct, and they would have to start now. Traffic is easily the biggest pain the *** in Canada, if you live anywhere near large city.

Ban motorcycles outright, and only allow driverless vehicles into the city centre.

As for journalists, they write their opinion of the news, so that they can get a cushy job as a columnist.

so. much. THIS ^^ !!!

Also, with trucks spending less time on the road, goods will take longer to arrive at their destination, creating less supply & more demand = higher prices for goods. AKA the last friggin thing we (as consumers) ever need.

I say we encourage more people to ride motorcycles and bicycles. Replace those 4-5 cars with more two-wheelers, and increase infrastructure to support car-free commuting in the city; I don't understand why anyone in the downtown core would drive a car into work.

Here in the 'burbs, the problem is MUCH more spread out, and thus much more difficult to tackle. We need better traffic light programming, more freeways, dedicated lanes, more options for travel. I wish Steeles Ave. had an underground freeway underneath it :(

I used to live just about right on the Bloor line, only 3 stops away from my job. It was still 30-40 minutes to get there via transit, vs 5-10 by riding there. When I went back to school, similar story - 15 minutes by bike and about an hour by TTC.

Articles like this show a complete and total detachment from reality. I wholeheartedly agree with crank above, this is nothing but a sensational story that without doubt a lot of people will agree to, but as mentioned isn't based on realities are facts.

The economy doesn't stop during rush hour, neither can trucks if society wants all the benefits and conveniences they've unknowingly become accustomed to because of them. People have absolutely no idea that almost everything they touch and consume on a daily basis got into your hands via a truck.

If the clueless journalists that write this sort of tripe actually came and spent a few days in the industry and understood it's realities they would be embarrassed to even have put those words to print.

But hey, it's easy to write about something that gets people all riled up, even if it's not based on reality, right? The first few lines of Cranks response above is a very insightful piece of the overall pie, not to mention the other realities about how freight gets from A to B.

What's it like moving stuff during rush hour anyways?

Many countries in the world use this strategy of not allowing trucks during pick hours, it works, I used to live in one of them.

Goods do not go up as companies adjust and adapt their schedules and everything falls into a flow.

Result is thousands of less trucks on the main road and HWYs during rush hour saving the economy millions of dollars and saving the general public money and life quality.

Sure if you are a truck driver and live in a very small world were only you matter then of course you will disagree.

Many countries in the world use this strategy of not allowing trucks during pick hours, it works, I used to live in one of them.

Goods do not go up as companies adjust and adapt their schedules and everything falls into a flow.

Result is thousands of less trucks on the main road and HWYs during rush hour saving the economy millions of dollars and saving the general public money and life quality.

Sure if you are a truck driver and live in a very small world were only you matter then of course you will disagree.

+1

Same happens in Istanbul. People argue it's safer in traffic as well, since this also reduces chances for i.e schoolbusses colliding with trucks.

uhm all the VW bashers should be asking how much pollution are those trucks dumping out just idling on the highway.
It never made sense to me why these large trucks are on the DVP and the 401 city corridor during rush hour.

I like this idea.
Whether it makes sense or not, I have a strong bias against truck drivers because I got hit-and-ran by one on QEW

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Here in the 'burbs, the problem is MUCH more spread out, and thus much more difficult to tackle. We need better traffic light programming, more freeways, dedicated lanes, more options for travel. I wish Steeles Ave. had an underground freeway underneath it
icon_sad.gif
The main problem in the burbs is that there is virtually no employment. All city planners planned for was fields of houses. Take Markham for example. You have IBM, Markham Stouffville Hospital and ummm....oh yeah, the mall.

The product my company distributes goes into the GTA (and all over north America) on a daily basis. We often send trucks into Toronto at 'off' hours just to make life better for the drivers and because they can get into the city, drop, and go against the huge flow getting out. But sometimes somebody needs a tractor sent in to keep an afternoon shift running and you have trucks in the rush hr.
And if you left Halifax and come to TO. you get there when you get there, sitting in Trenton waiting for the traffic to clear is a possibility but time is money, waiting isn't free. Drivers are often paid by the kilometer so when the wheels no turny, no chequey.
Consumer goods would see an increase? somewhere likely, because if my frt costs go up, I pass it along. I'm not eating it.

There are lots of things that could make life better, like give trucks a free pass on the 407 at peak times and clear the 401. Oh right the province already wrecked that.
Maybe build a corridor from 401 Milton to the qew?? James snow was never finished, tremain will take for ever, #6 is a gong show. I see truck routes as a solution not truck regulations.

Sure other countries have 'truck time' . I don't live there.

you guys are all crazy. Kathleen Wynne has this in the bag!

The solution is to reduce the lanes on Gardiner and put paid "express" lanes and for good measure, a 2 year construction on the busiest part of the highway. Allt his while she bicycles her way around with her wify and a basket full of BS!!!

The only real solution is to have a much more vast and convenient public transit system.

I drive into the city from Mississauga adn deal wit hthe nonsense everyday simply because there is no train station anywhere near north of Mississauga. If there was, id NEVER drive into this madness.

If you leave from Halifax, wouldn't you leave at a time planning to be in Toronto at any other time but rush hour? Not like you are a tourist and don't know if the line up at the next "attraction" will be busy, you basically know at what time you will be arriving give and take.
Like I said, all these countries have the same issues and they manage.

I understand it is easy for me to say because it isn't my profession but at some point something needs to be done.

Anyways, that is my Opinion

The product my company distributes goes into the GTA (and all over north America) on a daily basis. We often send trucks into Toronto at 'off' hours just to make life better for the drivers and because they can get into the city, drop, and go against the huge flow getting out. But sometimes somebody needs a tractor sent in to keep an afternoon shift running and you have trucks in the rush hr.
And if you left Halifax and come to TO. you get there when you get there, sitting in Trenton waiting for the traffic to clear is a possibility but time is money, waiting isn't free. Drivers are often paid by the kilometer so when the wheels no turny, no chequey.
Consumer goods would see an increase? somewhere likely, because if my frt costs go up, I pass it along. I'm not eating it.

There are lots of things that could make life better, like give trucks a free pass on the 407 at peak times and clear the 401. Oh right the province already wrecked that.
Maybe build a corridor from 401 Milton to the qew?? James snow was never finished, tremain will take for ever, #6 is a gong show. I see truck routes as a solution not truck regulations.

Sure other countries have 'truck time' . I don't live there.

If you leave from Halifax, wouldn't you leave at a time planning to be in Toronto at any other time but rush hour?=

A bit long, but as someone that's in the industry, here's my take on that.

Can you get a shipper to load the drivers trailer at the exact required time to make this happen, all while possibly trying to adhere to the same version of this scheme in Halifax, meaning the driver has to show up and load in the middle of the night? What's good for the goose is good for the gander, right? So Halifax, Quebec City, and Montreal all instituted the same rush hour laws.

Sinc the driver has been awake all day waiting for the "allowed" non rush-hour time window to go to that shipper, he runs out of allowable work hours before he even leaves the shippers property...so now he has to log 10 hours off and sleep for at least 8 of them. And he can't LEAVE in the morning when he's legal to drive again because of the Halifax rush-hour ban, so he sits and idles (all while burning on-duty hours) until, say...noon? But he's already burned 4 hours of on duty time waiting in the cab because of the rush hour ban - Whenever the rush hour ban "window" opens, if one even opens through the day...or are trucks still banned until say 8PM again?

So, lets say he leaves Halifax the next morning around noon (after burning over 24 hours for a simple unload and reload, very little or possibly none of which he got paid for since long distance drivers are paid by the mile, not the hour) when the non-rush-hour departure window opens up. He can legally only drive for 9 hours now since he burned 4 hours sitting on his hands waiting for the rush hour ban in Halifax to end.

Driver runs out of hours east of Quebec City around midnight, goes to bed. Wakes up at 8, has breakfast and a shower, legal to go on duty and drive again at 10AM. But oh ****, Quebec City has a rush hour traffic ban as well and he can't pass through until noon, so another 2 hours sitting on hands killing on duty hours.

**** again, arrives east side of Montreal at 3PM right when the rush hour ban is in full force, stuck sitting on his hands again on the east side of the city until 8PM when the ban ends and he can proceed. Has now been on duty for roughly 9 hours. At 8PM driver heads through Montreal but traffic is still heavy (not uncommon for MTL, honestly) so he doesn't get out the other side until 9PM. Has been on duty 11 hours and only has 3 hours left before he has to once again shut down for 10 more hours and sleep 8 to be legal. With 5 hours to Toronto...that's not going to work. Driver runs out of hours west of Kingston and goes off duty at midnight until 10 AM.

Driver hits road precisely at 10AM when legal again, arrives in toronto at Noon...but no trucks allowed except overnight, so driver sits on hands again in Bowmanville...again, burning on duty hours until 8PM. Widget factory is loosing their mind because they need their stuff, but it can't get there.

Driver proceeds into Toronto at 8PM, has covered only 250 Kilometers of paid milage today, and runs out of hours at the customers dock while unloading, can't even drive to the next customer to pickup his next load, so he now potentially sits ANOTHER 24 hours in Toronto before he loads and can roll again, all while his allowable hours are completely reversed now.

In other words, in the reality of the transportation industry, this doesn't work. Even tossing out the theoretical limitations in Halifax, Quebec City and Montreal as well all it takes is one unexpected delay (highway closure, blown tire, breakdown, whatever) to not only shut a plant down that's waiting for their product because the truck can't get into town when it arrives (vs when it was theoretically *supposed* to arrive) but the driver who's getting paid by the mile is loosing his mind spending countless extra hours stuck in his truck earning butkiss.

A bit long, but as someone that's in the industry, here's my take on that.

Can you get a shipper to load the drivers trailer at the exact required time to make this happen, all while possibly trying to adhere to the same version of this scheme in Halifax, meaning the driver has to show up and load in the middle of the night? What's good for the goose is good for the gander, right? So Halifax, Quebec City, and Montreal all instituted the same rush hour laws.

Sinc the driver has been awake all day waiting for the "allowed" non rush-hour time window to go to that shipper, he runs out of allowable work hours before he even leaves the shippers property...so now he has to log 10 hours off and sleep for at least 8 of them. And he can't LEAVE in the morning when he's legal to drive again because of the Halifax rush-hour ban, so he sits and idles (all while burning on-duty hours) until, say...noon? But he's already burned 4 hours of on duty time waiting in the cab because of the rush hour ban - Whenever the rush hour ban "window" opens, if one even opens through the day...or are trucks still banned until say 8PM again?

So, lets say he leaves Halifax the next morning around noon (after burning over 24 hours for a simple unload and reload, very little or possibly none of which he got paid for since long distance drivers are paid by the mile, not the hour) when the non-rush-hour departure window opens up. He can legally only drive for 9 hours now since he burned 4 hours sitting on his hands waiting for the rush hour ban in Halifax to end.

Driver runs out of hours east of Quebec City around midnight, goes to bed. Wakes up at 8, has breakfast and a shower, legal to go on duty and drive again at 10AM. But oh ****, Quebec City has a rush hour traffic ban as well and he can't pass through until noon, so another 2 hours sitting on hands killing on duty hours.

**** again, arrives east side of Montreal at 3PM right when the rush hour ban is in full force, stuck sitting on his hands again on the east side of the city until 8PM when the ban ends and he can proceed. Has now been on duty for roughly 9 hours. At 8PM driver heads through Montreal but traffic is still heavy (not uncommon for MTL, honestly) so he doesn't get out the other side until 9PM. Has been on duty 11 hours and only has 3 hours left before he has to once again shut down for 10 more hours and sleep 8 to be legal. With 5 hours to Toronto...that's not going to work. Driver runs out of hours west of Kingston and goes off duty at midnight until 10 AM.

Driver hits road precisely at 10AM when legal again, arrives in toronto at Noon...but no trucks allowed except overnight, so driver sits on hands again in Bowmanville...again, burning on duty hours until 8PM. Widget factory is loosing their mind because they need their stuff, but it can't get there.

Driver proceeds into Toronto at 8PM, has covered only 250 Kilometers of paid milage today, and runs out of hours at the customers dock while unloading, can't even drive to the next customer to pickup his next load, so he now potentially sits ANOTHER 24 hours in Toronto before he loads and can roll again, all while his allowable hours are completely reversed now.

In other words, in the reality of the transportation industry, this doesn't work. Even tossing out the theoretical limitations in Halifax, Quebec City and Montreal as well all it takes is one unexpected delay (highway closure, blown tire, breakdown, whatever) to not only shut a plant down that's waiting for their product because the truck can't get into town when it arrives (vs when it was theoretically *supposed* to arrive) but the driver who's getting paid by the mile is loosing his mind spending countless extra hours stuck in his truck earning butkiss.
Have you been typing this since my post this afternoon?

Sorry man I skimmed through your answer as it is too long.

We are talking about scenarios with only Toronto having the ban, so let's keep to that.

Again# if instituted companies would have to figure the best way to do business. You might not see those measures right now as you are thinking on your current frame of work.

Anyways, back to the Raptors.. you now have the whole night to write another book.

Back
Top Bottom