shortie needs a new bike | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

shortie needs a new bike

if you dragging a toe you doing it wrong, if you doing it wrong how do you know that lowering your bike didn't affect the handling and performance of your bike?

It isn't just about ground clearance!

Dragging my toe has nothing to do with the lowering and everything to do with not pointing my toe where it should be - i simply used the example to illustrate that lowering the bike hasn't adversely affected anything

And if you are riding a 600cc S.S. bike I hope you have the skills to move it around without lowering it. I mean you are talking about a 100 h.p. bike capable of over 150 mph. If you dont maybe you should not be on a 600, just a thought.

phew, good thing I ride a 750, so this doesn't apply to me either.

great suggestions. i didn't think of r6's mostly because they look to high. i do plan to sit on and test ride a couple for sure. I just dont want to be runnign around trying bikes i know will never fit me.

I find the other thing to keep in mind is the weight of the bike. I have ridden a gixxer and an R6. The R6 is lighter then the gixxer in the 600 SS class and the CBR 600 is the lightest in the class. I found the R6 to be a lot more nimble, and it did not feel as heavy as the gixxer. The gixxer also has bulky fairings, combined with the heavier weight it makes this bike feel big and heavy (to me anyway). By contrast, the CBR 600 to me felt more compact and felt like a much better fit overall. Ultimately you should sit on all of them and test them all out to see which one feels the best for you. Also bear in mind that lowering the bike and shaving the seat comes with "side effects" sometimes a shaved seat mean's less comfort. A lowered bike will ride differently particularly in turns. You will also likely need to get an after market kick stand for your lowered bike depending on how much you lower it.

All the bikes have seat height listed but width is a factor as well. Most however have lowering kits available. Good luck.

i'm the same height and weight as you. my in-seem is about 27/28" i know because i tailor my own pants. so i have been taking that into consideration as well

great suggestions. i didn't think of r6's mostly because they look to high. i do plan to sit on and test ride a couple for sure. I just dont want to be runnign around trying bikes i know will never fit me.
They do look high, but the weight is really down low, so they feel light and easy to move around. Once you get it lowered it'll blow your mind, guaranteed :)

Daniel at Heritage Auto will get you all set up!

-Jamie M.

You've either never watched moto gp or have an issue with selective memory. Someone holds the bike or puts it on a rear stand. Then Pedro walks out, hops on the bike and away he goes without ever touching the ground. Same thing when he returns. He pulls up, someone grabs the bike and hold it upright while he dismounts.

Not saying that it can't be done but using someone like that as an example is pointless.

Not to argue, I've never seen anyone hold his bike up for him when they are lined up at the start of a race. :D

On a side note, I just lowered my wife's 998 today.

Yes i road a cruiser, it hurt my back on longer rides and i had trouble in the corners. i'm doing very well not that i'm on my honda 250. my cornering is good i'm still working on tighter corners. Well i'm a rider in progess and i'm working very hard as it. putting good kms on. i can move my bike on and off perfectly i'm just lazy sometimes.
what i'm looking for is a sports bike, not a cruiser.(only got a cruiser first because my mom wouldn't let me have a sports bike) i need something light, if i have to lower it i will. i'm looking into putting something on the bottom of my riding boots to give me an inch. I'm open to a lot of options in displacements. i dont want to shave my seat because i like to do long rides and dont want to get uncomfortable..

other than that i dont know much about 600s yet because i've only just started me research. any opinions or options are helpful. i'm making a list and researching everything

A LOT of things "can be done". A lot of things are not impossible. Does that mean it's realistic or smart to purposely go for it just because it's physically possible? I say not. You buy a bike you're not comfortable with, you're not going to ride as much, you're not going to enjoy as much.

Sure some people put the effort into parking lot practices but in reality most do not. Unless OP comes back and say, okay guys I've practiced my moves, I'm completely confident in tippy toeing one foot. I can move the bigger, taller bikes with full confidence and ability? Telling somebody they should just go for it is IMO no different than teller a new rider they can and should continue to look into litre crotch rockets because people have successfully learned on them and physicall can operate them.

To clarify, I'm not saying the previous advice OP was given was correct (too much of a blanket statement as 600cc bikes can very so much in size and performance).

Bundles, you need to provide a bit more info if you really want help. Sounds like you're looking for a super sport (gixxer, r6, etc.) but I see you've ridden a cruiser as well. Are you looking strictly for a supersport or open to other bikes as well? Are you looking only at 600cc or open to slightly higher/lower displacements? (say 500 or 800). Have you considered a lower or shaved seat or height-adding boots like the Daytona Ladystars (a $500 investment but little or no mods to the bike itself)

if all you have ridden is the 250 cc bikes and that includes cruisers and you have had conering problems, I am not sure that a 600cc sport bike is the right next move for you anyway. Not sure whats available but if you were on this side of the border, I would Highly recomend either the Suzuki GS500F of the Kawasaki EX500 Ninja Both are Awesome bikes, think seats if you need to cut it down a little, handle great and are bullit proof in reliability and dependability and both have been on the market for years so parts are plentiful and so are used models.

Stick with the 250 while you're in school...(I'm guessing your birth year is 1991 and go to school)
I go to UTM, most of the bikes are an assortment of 250's with the bigger bikes usually belonging to profs or grad students most of whom are 25+. I don't know if you're paying tuition or not but a bike+insurance+school is A LOT for someone our age...thats not including gas and all your other random expenses.
I'm on my fourth year with my 250 and after 50,000km I'm still learning...and insurance is still almost half as much as my tuition.

I'll keep that in mind. 2nd year on a 250 and its like a 3rd of my schooling costs. first year this September... maybe i'll see you around

Stick with the 250 while you're in school...(I'm guessing your birth year is 1991 and go to school)
I go to UTM, most of the bikes are an assortment of 250's with the bigger bikes usually belonging to profs or grad students most of whom are 25+. I don't know if you're paying tuition or not but a bike+insurance+school is A LOT for someone our age...thats not including gas and all your other random expenses.
I'm on my fourth year with my 250 and after 50,000km I'm still learning...and insurance is still almost half as much as my tuition.

Back
Top Bottom