shortie needs a new bike | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

shortie needs a new bike

What's pointless are your presumptions.

I have a linear memory and follow MotoGP religiously; so I know how they hop on and off the bike.

Would it be an inconvenience for the OP to ride a 600cc SS bike on the street due to his or her height/weight? Ah yea. Is it going to be a ***** to be in stop and go traffic? Sure! Can it be done? You know it can be done. My whole point is to show OP that he doesn't need to think that he/she is constrained by his height/weight.

See his original comment and the type of people he's getting advise from:

Someone told me i shouldn't ride a 600 because i dont weigh much. they said something about not being able to ground the motorcycle in the turns.
ludicrous!!!

Plenty of short people are capable of riding full size dirt bikes. They manage to kick start them while being on their tippy toes and corner just fine without being able to touch flat footed.

Honestly, once you get used to it you won't even notice... And the bike would fly with someone your size on it
tell your buddy to stop filling your head with stupid ideas... He just doesn't want some girl to have a faster bike than his.

Back on topic there are numerous bikes and mods that can allow the OP to ride securely at low speeds which is where the issue arises - once the bike is in motion there is little issue.
Ask Rogo about overbuying in the 600SS level. He learned an expensive lesson.
It's not an appropriate ride for the OP in my view.
They are top heavy and awkward at slow speeds - just look at the number of riders that dump 250 Ninjas at slow speed and most are not height challenged.

Back on topic there are numerous bikes and mods that can allow the OP to ride securely at low speeds which is where the issue arises - once the bike is in motion there is little issue.
Ask Rogo about overbuying in the 600SS level. He learned an expensive lesson.
It's not an appropriate ride for the OP in my view.
They are top heavy and awkward at slow speeds - just look at the number of riders that dump 250 Ninjas at slow speed and most are not height challenged.

ROGO situation was not about the bike - I met him and Corsara earlier this week and we chatted baout it and went over what happened and what remained of the bike. It was rider and would be the same if he was riding 250

Most 250 riders are still very green to riding when everyone will still be dropping bikes for stupid little things.
Once you have some experience, you learn how things work together.
Im only 5'7" but manage just fine on an fz6 which is taller end more top heavy than the SS bikes. Even at my height, I would be comfortable on something like a KLR650 or whatever tall, top heavy bike you can think of, simply due to technique.

A LOT of things "can be done". A lot of things are not impossible. Does that mean it's realistic or smart to purposely go for it just because it's physically possible? I say not. You buy a bike you're not comfortable with, you're not going to ride as much, you're not going to enjoy as much.

Sure some people put the effort into parking lot practices but in reality most do not. Unless OP comes back and say, okay guys I've practiced my moves, I'm completely confident in tippy toeing one foot. I can move the bigger, taller bikes with full confidence and ability? Telling somebody they should just go for it is IMO no different than teller a new rider they can and should continue to look into litre crotch rockets because people have successfully learned on them and physicall can operate them.

To clarify, I'm not saying the previous advice OP was given was correct (too much of a blanket statement as 600cc bikes can very so much in size and performance).

Bundles, you need to provide a bit more info if you really want help. Sounds like you're looking for a super sport (gixxer, r6, etc.) but I see you've ridden a cruiser as well. Are you looking strictly for a supersport or open to other bikes as well? Are you looking only at 600cc or open to slightly higher/lower displacements? (say 500 or 800). Have you considered a lower or shaved seat or height-adding boots like the Daytona Ladystars (a $500 investment but little or no mods to the bike itself)

Why are you stuck on a 600 class bike whats wrong with something like this especially if it fits you better?

SuzukiSV650S002.jpg

A LOT of things "can be done". A lot of things are not impossible. Does that mean it's realistic or smart to purposely go for it just because it's physically possible? I say not. You buy a bike you're not comfortable with, you're not going to ride as much, you're not going to enjoy as much.

Sure some people put the effort into parking lot practices but in reality most do not. Unless OP comes back and say, okay guys I've practiced my moves, I'm completely confident in tippy toeing one foot. I can move the bigger, taller bikes with full confidence and ability? Telling somebody they should just go for it is IMO no different than teller a new rider they can and should continue to look into litre crotch rockets because people have successfully learned on them and physicall can operate them.

To clarify, I'm not saying the previous advice OP was given was correct (too much of a blanket statement as 600cc bikes can very so much in size and performance).

Bundles, you need to provide a bit more info if you really want help. Sounds like you're looking for a super sport (gixxer, r6, etc.) but I see you've ridden a cruiser as well. Are you looking strictly for a supersport or open to other bikes as well? Are you looking only at 600cc or open to slightly higher/lower displacements? (say 500 or 800). Have you considered a lower or shaved seat or height-adding boots like the Daytona Ladystars (a $500 investment but little or no mods to the bike itself)
I'm not forcing her to do it, but some people are saying "absolutely no way" can she do it, when I know that with most likely since she has riding experience that she can do it. The only way you expand your abilities is to push the comfort level a little. I don't think she is in danger. Only time you should ever touch the ground is when you are dead stopped or pushing the bike backwards.
I have a friend that is 5'2" and about 110 and rides a CBR600RR without issue... Actually, I have to push to keep up to her when we are having fun so yes, she can do it, and yes, she can do it safely. This is NOT like telling a newb to go get a 1000. This is like telling someone going from a 250 that they can step up to a 600. She has the basics down, has probably dumped a bike or come close to it at low speeds and learned from it I would hope.

Why are you stuck on a 600 class bike whats wrong with something like this especially if it fits you better?

SuzukiSV650S002.jpg
I think that SV is a great option.

I think that SV is a great option.

I ride it at the track, but on the street it is my daughters to ride, She is only 5'-0". She cannot flat foot the bike. But I have cut the seat down (I have two seats one stock for me, and the cut one for her). I do not like to mess with the suspension height as I do not want to change the handling of the bike or give up ground clerance. Second if she needs to move the bike, whats wrong with getting off the bike first and pushing it? Even I do that when moving my bikes around, much less chance of falling or dropping the bike.

(This was NOT my daughters frist bike, She good the MSF dirt bike class, Rode in the dirt, Took the MSF Basic Rider Course, then started riding a VF500F on the street, then three years later started riding the SV. Since starting on the SV she has also taken the Total Control Advanced Riding Clininc Level I)

rmemedic, my post was not a direct response to yours. However, to take from your post my opinion is that as much as some people say you can NEVER ride such a bike I'm saying you can 't always assume someone CAN.
I am not saying the OP (or any new rider for that matter) cannot move to a 600cc (persumably a supersport in this case). It is possible, of course. It is in some cases more than appropriate as well. What I have a problem with is people saying, hey look Pedrosa can do it! Some 12 year old can do it! I can do it. You must be able to do it as well!
I just think more information is needed before people say, yeah, it's not gonna be a problem. To be fair though, it's not like the onus is on responders to make sure the OP has given them all the info they need to make some sort of suggestion.

Im only 5'7" but manage just fine on an fz6 which is taller end more top heavy than the SS bikes. Even at my height, I would be comfortable on something like a KLR650 or whatever tall, top heavy bike you can think of, simply due to technique.

Sure - next time you drop a KLR650 on a muddy hill be sure to let me know how that "technique" works out.

Let the rider buy a bike that can be flatfooted instead of bragging about "technique" - gets old fast.

Sure - next time you drop a KLR650 on a muddy hill be sure to let me know how that "technique" works out.

Let the rider buy a bike that can be flatfooted instead of bragging about "technique" - gets old fast.

I can't flat foot any of the bikes I ride. I had to learn how to get around being on the shorter end, otherwise I'd be riding around on an 80cc on the track.

All I'm saying to the OP is that just because she can't flat foot the bike, doesn't mean it's not an option. Of course, she should get what she is comfortable with, but you do get used to being on your till toes.

There are MANY people who cannot and never will flat foot a bike, My Daughter is 5'-0" and cannot flat foot anything except the little 250 cc cruisers etc. I cannot flat foot my KTM950 Adventure, but that does not mean I should not ride it and I take it into the woods and single track, and lifting a dropped bike has NOTHING to do with being able to flat foot it when you ride it. When picking it up you are NOT on it so whats that have to do with anything?

Also you do not have to be sitting on a bike to move it, you want to move a bike and you are not comfortable doing it because you cannot flat foot it, get off the bike to move it.

I also read a lot on hear about dropped bikes and most of those are people who can flat foot the bike, so whats the problem then?

Last edited:
You miss the point - trying to extricate a KLR650 from a muddy hill and get moving on it has a lot to do with seat height - it's not a light narrow machine the way a dedicated off roader is designed.

Not being able to flat foot is fine as long you restrict to reasonable circumstances....I can't 100% flat foot the KLR either til I'm fully on it and it was very awkward at times on forest tracks that were slippery and oddly slanted with uncertain footing.

There are bikes appropriate to the rider's stature that are not high and not top heavy....why push the envelope of comfortable handling? Just because you CAN do something does not mean it's the optimal approach.
The 650 BMW I mentioned is one of them and the industry is moving to solutions for shorter riders.

There are bikes appropriate to the rider's stature that are not high and not top heavy....why push the envelope of comfortable handling? Just because you CAN do something does not mean it's the optimal approach.
The 650 BMW I mentioned is one of them and the industry is moving to solutions for shorter riders.

The Industry is moving to Solutions for people who do not want to learn how to do it.

Even in the woods (And I race the occasioal enduro) in the situations you describe, one foot is up and one is down, or I am Standing on the pegs. Most of the time off-road I am standing as it is the best technique for speed and balance especially when conditions are slick, off camber, rocky etc.

I do not advocate getting a bike you are not comfortable with but in order to GET comfortable sometimes you have to learn to do things. How do you propose someone ever reaches that level of confidence if they never do it? If you told my daughter she had to get rid of her bike for one she can flat foot, she would have a few choice words for you. She also rides both Dirt and street and in the dirt at best she can get the toes of one foot on the ground when stopped.

I wonder how many of the people here who consider lowering a bike a "last resort" because it "changes the handling" have ever rode a lowered bike? I'm vertically challenged, have lowered all of my bikes (98 ZX6R, 02 ZX6R, 07 GSXR 750) and I have never ran into any issues with the exception of one - if you're putting a passenger on the back and you're too slammed, you will bottom out. Besides that, I have no issue leaning the bike right over on a ramp or in the twisties.. yeah I don't pin it going over curbs or speed bumps but ground clearance or not - it's common sense. I do have adjustable rearsets which sit higher than stock pegs, so I've dragged a toe but never a peg.

It comes down to your comfort and skill level. And of course, having the lowering done properly at a shop.

I wonder how many of the people here who consider lowering a bike a "last resort" because it "changes the handling" have ever rode a lowered bike? I'm vertically challenged, have lowered all of my bikes (98 ZX6R, 02 ZX6R, 07 GSXR 750) and I have never ran into any issues with the exception of one - if you're putting a passenger on the back and you're too slammed, you will bottom out. Besides that, I have no issue leaning the bike right over on a ramp or in the twisties.. yeah I don't pin it going over curbs or speed bumps but ground clearance or not - it's common sense. I do have adjustable rearsets which sit higher than stock pegs, so I've dragged a toe but never a peg.

if you dragging a toe you doing it wrong, if you doing it wrong how do you know that lowering your bike didn't affect the handling and performance of your bike?

It isn't just about ground clearance!

if you dragging a toe you doing it wrong, if you doing it wrong how do you know that lowering your bike didn't affect the handling and performance of your bike?

It isn't just about ground clearance!

And if you are riding a 600cc S.S. bike I hope you have the skills to move it around without lowering it. I mean you are talking about a 100 h.p. bike capable of over 150 mph. If you dont maybe you should not be on a 600, just a thought.

And if you are riding a 600cc S.S. bike I hope you have the skills to move it around without lowering it. I mean you are talking about a 100 h.p. bike capable of over 150 mph. If you dont maybe you should not be on a 600, just a thought.

Was this directed at me? I think it wasn't but just confirming

If it was directed at me then the answer is yes I do and mine is 153hp not 100 ;)

Back
Top Bottom