shortie needs a new bike | GTAMotorcycle.com

shortie needs a new bike

I ride a 2011 Honda CBR250R with a lowered suspension. Next season i would like to get a 600 because i have had a 250 for 2 years. a Marauder for one season and the CBR for this season. I'm trying to figure out what would be the best 600 for me because i'm 5"1 and weight like 110pounds.

Someone told me i shouldn't ride a 600 because i dont weigh much. they said something about not being able to ground the motorcycle in the turns. so i'm small and i want to ride a 600 i've done my research and found that suzuki has the lowest seat height without a lowered suspension, of 30"

Any better ideas?

Thanks

The seat height of most of the 600s is pretty similar. Get whatever you want, shave down the seat and lower it to whatever point you need it

The Gixxer's do have the shortest seat height. I can flat foot on them easy but only tippy toe on my r6 and I've lowered it a touch.

Suzuki Gladius is pretty low if you don't limit your search to only 600. And I believe there is dealer or factory option to lower it another 3 inches

The bikes are all pretty much the same. Find what is most comfortable in the riding position and then have it lowered properly. Speak with John Sharrard and Accelerated Technologies: http://www.acceltechracing.com/services.htm

The Gixxer's do have the shortest seat height. I can flat foot on them easy but only tippy toe on my r6 and I've lowered it a touch.

I find the gixxer's tend to be a little narrower in the "waist" too, which may make reaching the ground easier.

I find the other thing to keep in mind is the weight of the bike. I have ridden a gixxer and an R6. The R6 is lighter then the gixxer in the 600 SS class and the CBR 600 is the lightest in the class. I found the R6 to be a lot more nimble, and it did not feel as heavy as the gixxer. The gixxer also has bulky fairings, combined with the heavier weight it makes this bike feel big and heavy (to me anyway). By contrast, the CBR 600 to me felt more compact and felt like a much better fit overall. Ultimately you should sit on all of them and test them all out to see which one feels the best for you. Also bear in mind that lowering the bike and shaving the seat comes with "side effects" sometimes a shaved seat mean's less comfort. A lowered bike will ride differently particularly in turns. You will also likely need to get an after market kick stand for your lowered bike depending on how much you lower it.

I ride an r6 and it's one of the highest if not the highest positioned bike in it's class. Gsxr's definitely have the lowest seating position. i could keep my feet flat on it and still have a little play between my bum and the seat.

And before anyone gets to it, NO! not bum play! unless you ask nicely! LMAO!

Daniel "Dani" Pedrosa Ramal (born 29 September 1985 in Sabadell, Catalonia, Spain) is a Grand Prix motorcycle racer. Pedrosa grew up in a village near Sabadell called Castellar del Vallès. He is the youngest world champion in 250cc Grands Prix. Pedrosa is 1.58 m (5 ft 2 in) tall and weighs 51 kg (112.4 lb).

Tell that someone to stop talking!

Daniel "Dani" Pedrosa Ramal (born 29 September 1985 in Sabadell, Catalonia, Spain) is a Grand Prix motorcycle racer. Pedrosa grew up in a village near Sabadell called Castellar del Vallès. He is the youngest world champion in 250cc Grands Prix. Pedrosa is 1.58 m (5 ft 2 in) tall and weighs 51 kg (112.4 lb).

Oh here we go again.

You've either never watched moto gp or have an issue with selective memory. Someone holds the bike or puts it on a rear stand. Then Pedro walks out, hops on the bike and away he goes without ever touching the ground. Same thing when he returns. He pulls up, someone grabs the bike and hold it upright while he dismounts.

Not saying that it can't be done but using someone like that as an example is pointless.

*le sigh*

I'ma shorty too. 5 foot 1, and about 100 pounds or so. But sometimes when it comes to seat height, it's leg length you may want to consider :).

IWent to the Honda Rock the Red Event a few weeks back and tried on the newer CBR600. It was lighter than most bikes I've sat on, and I could tippy toe it! It felt about the same as my CBR250R did, before I lowered it a smidge. The only other bike I can think of, that felt like it came close in seat height, was the Ducati Monster 696.

Most larger bikes leave me dangling in the air :(. SUCKS!!!

Someone told me i shouldn't ride a 600 because i dont weigh much. they said something about not being able to ground the motorcycle in the turns. so i'm small and i want to ride a 600 i've done my research and found that suzuki has the lowest seat height without a lowered suspension, of 30"

Any better ideas?

Thanks
Ground the bike? People talk so much ****

Some of the BMW 650s are low seat height and if you are looking new there is a factory option as well.

2009-BMW-G650GS-11.jpg

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/73/1962/motorcycle-article/2009-bmw-g650gs-first-ride.aspx

sinp

the optional 29.5-inch setup (seat and suspension mods $175) even more so. We didn’t get to sample the lower suspension option, but expect it would be very cramped for even average-sized male riders. Our test bike was a blend of the two versions with standard suspension setup and the lower seat. This is how bikes destined for America will be delivered unless ordered otherwise. The handlebars are low and relatively close to the rider which left my elbows flapping down by the faux fuel tank. Working through the field of professional peers, it was obvious the other men were dealing with similar issues, but the women looked absolutely fantastic in the saddle.

The bike isn’t uncomfortable, even with the small stature. Zipping around town or doing a few hours of canyon riding is completely realistic, and the 650GS does an amazing job of both. The 19/17-inch spoked wheel combination increases the off-road capabilities a bit, but is more important in creating very quick steering, as does the dirt bike-levels of bar rotation. Maneuvering the bike for photo shoots or turning around in tight situations was ridiculously simple. Smaller riders, who are obviously targets for this BMW, are going to love how easy this bike is to handle. Mannerisms on the road are also very agreeable. Metzeler Tourance tires are a great match for what the bike’s motor, chassis and suspension are capable of.

One of the instructors rides an older version of this as she is inseam challenged as well. It's on my short list - pardon the pun as the KLR650 I ride in Australia has a 35" seat height - oil can on stilts indeed.

Back
Top Bottom