Riding Down Under - Tropical Cairns Australia | Page 70 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Riding Down Under - Tropical Cairns Australia

Minus 18 Celsius outside but sunny and snowy covered streets so no riding. Minus 7 Celsius inside the garage so no motorcycle service work there, either. The cellar workshop and motorcycle magazine library not too warm, but bearable with a sweater and coveralls.
What did Shakespeare write? "Now is this winter of our discontent...."
AFJ

Decent ride 130 km laden with twists...marginal scones. Hot n sticky now at home...I'm downwind of my own stench :eek:
Glad I did not dawdle - booming and thumping and from the look at the radar some pretty intense Tstorms - that section lower right by Edmonton and Goldborough is where the Gillies is.
Screen Shot 2024-01-18 at Jan, 18    2024    3.33.29 PM.jpg
It's actually raining here now which is welcome..many Tstorms dodge Cairns.

Last edited:
Ugly hot and humid with showers ...got a very good freebie tho from bro-inlaw
1705636399552.png
1705636360626.png
Very similar to the one I sold in Canada for $150 and much better than the under deck unit I bought here for $300.

Returning the latter so I'm nice cash ahead on a good exercise bike

Thick and sticky with a cyclone heading our way.
https%3A%2F%2Fprod.static9.net.au%2Ffs%2F731ca1f8-b19b-4e30-9540-3662bf643336
:eek:
Queensland is forecast to be battered by severe rain and thunderstorms today, while communities along the coast are being urged to brace for a potential tropical cyclone "Kirrily" next week.
The Bureau of Meteorology (BoM) expects the weather system to develop into a tropical cyclone off the Queensland coast by Monday, warning it could track south-westerly and gain strength the week continues.
BOM senior forecaster Felim Hanniffy said a "severe impact" is possible for the eastern coast, most likely on Wednesday, and advised communities to stay up to date with forecasts and warnings.

Combining step dottor wedding and her squeeze' 50th bday celebration was exhausting. Forgot my panadol so by 3 pm was achy. Luckily the venue a 10 minute walk and rain had almost stopped. Happy to get off my feet.
I DID manage a haircut at the last minute and food was a decent finger food mix plus an inspired wedding cake with LoTR characters on one side and Star Wars on the other.

Last edited:
Tomorrow actually looks okay for a ride...temps below 30 and no rain forecast plus relatively rested. Get some time in before the cyclone arrives 🏍️
Glad I went out - Cook Hwy open just in time for the next cyclone
Generous piece of apple strudle and a flat white for lunch. Not too sweet - the way I like it.
1705804094599.png
Crazy damage still on the edges of the highway and the water chutes. Maybe get some pics
Will be 150 km loop which I'm happy with.
This not so much
1705804807488.png
That big boulder on the Cook Highway?
Boulder slip before.jpg
Good job guys - rode through today.....first day the highway opened.
1705826411089.png

Last edited:
Partner sez it will miss us and go south ...1705826154562.png
Gonna see if they got the Palmerston open tomorrow..... Not a chance - mid Feb they say :(

Got wet today tho not entirely drenched ....only the last few km.
Tomorrow looks okay for a Gillies run.
Screen Shot 2024-01-21 at Jan, 21    2024    6.43.57 PM.jpg

Last edited:
I just google-mapped Gillies Range and it looks to be 20ish km south of Cairns and it looks like 30 or 40 km of good entertainment!

It is. 260 turns 1,000' elevation rise but just 19km ...lots packed in.
Nice scenery too and the pavement is pristine since they fixed it up a few years ago.
1705898228297.png
Temps drop 2-3 degrees from the coast to the top of the range which is very welcome on humid days like today....32 feels like 35. 🥵

1705918371390.png
Partners older brother gonna receive a whack if this holds...worried as he has serious operation scheduled that is long over due.
I've got afar less serious one coming up ...2 day hospital stay in March for me...bro-inlaw 2 weeks in hosp and a significant recovery time :(.
Hopefully this will not further delay things.

Hot n muggy tonight on the deck..tonight...30 at 8.30 pm and more of the same tomorrow but might try for a very early ride before it gets too warm.
Ravenshoe would be brilliant but maybe too longScreen Shot 2024-01-22 at Jan, 22    2024    8.26.45 PM.jpg
119 km up via Gillies
140 back via Kuranda. :unsure:
Hmmmm maybe I can hit Malanda Bakery early for a pie
No idea what a Ned Kelly pie is but he was a famous robber.
1705920074805.png
sounds yummy.....
1705920582653.png

Ned Kelly - Beef Bacon & Whole Egg Pie

Original award winning Classic Beef filling mixed with delicious bacon and a whole egg cracked on top. Finished with tasty grated cheese.
78 km up the Gillies and open early. Then loop back via Kuranda which adds 112 km
I love Lake Barrine Tea House but it only opens at 9.30 am so I miss the cooler morning temps. Sounds like a plan if I can get moving early.

I did
35 real today - glad I went out early - back at 11 am after a 200 km loop
also carnivore fix with Ned Kelly pie. Under $10 with a decent flat white.

Last edited:
Maybe too good a sleep. Had a very vivid long dream plus woke up with my right arm almost paralysed.
Apparently slept on it wrong big time ...some drugs have helped but no riding today 😒

28 and muggy at midnight. Need to get up early for a ride before it gets too hot. Try not to sleep on my right side. Woke up this morning and could barely move my right arm.
Partner said pinched nerve.
Would like to avoid that... :unsure:
Good tennis tho (y)

Last edited:
10 am..31.9 real feels like 36.5 🥵 ...still might get out for a ride but it is going to 34 real and very muggy. I did however get the new exercycle set up and got a 12 minute spin on it earlier.Screen Shot 2024-01-27 at Jan, 27    2024    10.19.19 AM.jpg
....was comfie and nice variety of exercise programs ....some learning curve ahead but did not bother my sciatica....a big plus
However was I was in the sun already and cooking.
Moved it so I could see the TV tho further away than I like. Most likely listen to an audio book.
Think I will sell the eBike as this is much more comfortable....stick to this and mcycle. Not a firm decision tho.
When it cools off it will be nice to ride in the morning sun without having gear on the eBike requires. Light exercise clothes, bare feet, my light hat.
It actually does get chilly on the deck....

Attachments

• 1706313941246.png
    1706313941246.png
    962.3 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
but not tonight ....ugh ....just unbearable
7 pm Image

1 am
12 kts West-Northwest 29 °C
Wind from the big red center .....hot yep ...but dry.
Our normal wind is from the Pacific and keeps temps reasonable tho humid.
Dressed toes to neck to keep the mozzies at bay...fans are keeping it tolerable and it will get cooler tho not by much. Tempting to tackle Oppenheimer but 3 hours. :rolleyes:

went to bed early to read as too hot on the deck....woke up to find it is still 30c real at midnight. Sucks.
I'm okay watching some things and reading in bed on the retina screen but want the big screen for movies and most TV series.
30 too hot at night even with fans running...dropped to 29 at 1 am big whoop
The best room temperature for sleep is approximately 65 degrees Fahrenheit (18.3 degrees Celsius).
I acclimatized to 26 ( I actually get chilled at 25 ) and that's what the a/c is set to....even 28 on the deck is okay but not 30 at night.

UPDATED 9:50AM AEST​

32.6°

FEELS LIKE​

35.6°C

Last edited:
I considered a ride today but it jumped to 32 soooo early....maybe later this morning ....it's still 28 at 1 am 🤪 and stupid humid ....even with the fan running full sweat is running down my back. Off to the a/c now after this excellent video.

Now I know why Noraly made the effort to get to CAR
I really enjoyed the episode. (y)

Last edited:
Prolly stupid to be out 34.9 feels like 38.9 and a longish hike home but the ride up the Gillies was really nice and it got cooler at the top....tho not by much.
Will be hot and grumpy when I get home but hey.....I'm out riding.m (y):coffee:(y)
may have eaten too much but damn it was a good pie.

Now have to ride home in 35 feels like 38 temps.....I would welcome a bit of rain which is lurking.
That was nice ride home with a substantial tailwind. Was running out of water tho - have take more with me.
Decided to do the longer loop down Kuranda and temps were reasonable, hot but dry, 2 degrees cooler in Mareeba and okay coming down the range but then uncomfortable hot when down on the coast...likely the hottest I've ridden in tho was okay on the Tableland....had fun...was riding with music this time. 🎶

Last edited:
Got beat up by physio ....expected that after long ride yesterday. 🤪

Learned that the key item for assessing comfort in heat is dew point :unsure:
Mcycle is on a short break while we go to Melbourne. (y)

Damn Image
and heading north
Might be okay once that clears. Leg was very sore after too much walking.in Melbourne.
Physio yesterday helped and feel okay today for riding but bloody rain. :confused:
Snookered.....will try again tomorrow.
Screen Shot 2024-02-08 at Feb, 8    2024    11.01.59 AM.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom