More automatic transmissions | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

More automatic transmissions

If manufacturers want to attract young riders they should be working on how to text while wearing a full face helmet and gloves.
I will probably never buy another new motorcycle or car because of all the idiot proofing in modern vehicles.
I pride myself in being able to use both hands, both feet and my brain simutainiously while monitoring conditions on all four sides.
Every time man trries to make something idiot proof God creates a better idiot!
There are a lot of reasons why driving an eco friendly vehicle would be better but being fun is not one of them.

It won't matter in 30 years... you don't need transmissions on battery powered motorcycles.
If you're like people here, you'll be flying along the sidewalks, and license/insurance will be history.

So based on my comment you think manual shift motorcycles are dead?
I wish I had that kind of power, but no, manual shift motorcycles are not going away any time soon.
Having the OPTION of automatic is good as it can possibly keep people riding and BUYING motorcycles.
No idea why you want to invite my to a car dealership? Pretty crappy first date if you ask me...

So as you can see, no objections from this manual shifting old man...

Funny thing? I'm off to a dealership tomorrow to see if I can do a deal on a new convertible with a manual transmission.

The main selling point is that it is a manual. And at 60 years of age, I reckon this may be the last motor I purchase, or at least the last petrol powered motor I own .

And as a fat, grey, arthritic 60 year old, what could be better than tooling about in a wee red convertible two-seat Japanese machine?

Seriously? this is your expectation of a forum reply, that it be based on the "what if's" of 30-40 years down the road?
It is impossible to predict where trends will go, in 30-40 years from now the human race could be wiped out, so what then?

Forty years from now, buddy, I going to give you the taunting of a life time!

Funny thing? I'm off to a dealership tomorrow to see if I can do a deal on a new convertible with a manual transmission.

The main selling point is that it is a manual. And at 60 years of age, I reckon this may be the last motor I purchase, or at least the last petrol powered motor I own .

And as a fat, grey, arthritic 60 year old, what could be better than tooling about in a wee red convertible two-seat Japanese machine?

It called mid life crisis
I knew I was having mine after owning motorcycles and sports cars when at a car show I walked past the raffle tickets for the Vet & Jag E-Type and bought tickets on a draw for a 32 ft motor home.

If you're like people here, you'll be flying along the sidewalks, and license/insurance will be history.
Is this what you are sugesting

Is this what you are sugesting

No, the one I saw looked like a Ninja 125.
Same green colour and everything, except it is silent and spooky, as it brushes your elbow going by. This was on a pedestrian bridge.

I wouldn't buy one, but agree that more choice is better for growing the market.

I've had some students that just couldn't get get the hang of the clutch due to poor co-ordination or a lack of mechanical skills. After the course, they opt for scooters as a default fallback, but if they are dead set on riding a motorcycle, then giving them the option of an automatic gets them on two wheels.

Same goes for three-wheelers for people with balance issues or infirmity due to old age or injury. Gets them out of the cages.
To play devils advocate, or maybe more accurately cranky, old, cynical guy, but is there REALLY a silver lining or overriding necessity to help people who have "poor co-ordination" onto a 2 wheel conveyance so they may venture forth into traffic?

To play devils advocate, or maybe more accurately cranky, old, cynical guy, but is there REALLY a silver lining or overriding necessity to help people who have "poor co-ordination" onto a 2 wheel conveyance so they may venture forth into traffic?
I was thinking the same thing. A higher barrier to entry is not necessarily a bad thing. Afaik, tests only check for competency in a relatively stress free environment (beyond the swerve test where instructor points). Performance under pressure, personality and situational awareness are critical to staying alive but not part of the tests.

Amongst the instructors, we sometimes have philosophical discussions about whether it's possible to teach *everyone* how to ride a motorcycle or whether some people are just unteachable due to poor coordination or some pre-existing psychological condition like high anxiety.

My personal opinion is that some physical limitations can be overcome by lowering the bar to entry.

There are lots of scooter riders that don't have the coordination to handle a clutch. If someone wrote them off before they got on a twist-and-go moto, they would never have experienced the joy of being on two wheels.

Failure to pay attention to the road and/or target fixation on the wrong things are more serious issues than not being coordinated enough to handle a clutch and gear shifter.

Car people are different. Lots don't care at all about fun and want simple. There are very few bike riders that fit in that category (when it comes to bikes, many are OK with a boring car to free up more money for bikes).
The oneness of a motorcycle is hard to beat. Arms steering, one foot at the brake the other at the shifter, one hand at the clutch the other the brake, thumbs and fingers by the switches and throttle. Comparitively speaking, driving a car is as much fun as dancing with a mop.

I was thinking the same thing. A higher barrier to entry is not necessarily a bad thing. Afaik, tests only check for competency in a relatively stress free environment (beyond the swerve test where instructor points). Performance under pressure, personality and situational awareness are critical to staying alive but not part of the tests.
How about when the automatic downshifts in a corner in the rain? Honda had an automatic that did that and the medics got to meet the nicest people in a ditch.

Back
Top Bottom