More automatic transmissions | GTAMotorcycle.com

More automatic transmissions

I have no objection towards this trend, give people more choices.

No objections, at all? Not even if we think 30, 40 years down the road? None? At all???

Oh boy...

Ok... I want to invite you to go to a car dealership, pick any japanese brand, and tell them you'd like to buy a standard transmission vehicle.

Look at how many options you have. Count them. Look at how many automatic options you have. Count them.

The problem is, that when simpler options get presented, more fun options get replaced, and fazed out, until they aren't available at all.

If you're an old man, than sure, have no objections, because you'll be dead. But some of us still want to be able to buy motorcycles we can shift in another 30 or 40 years, so, if you're in that position, maybe have at least one or two objections?

No objections, at all? Not even if we think 30, 40 years down the road? None? At all???

Oh boy...

Ok... I want to invite you to go to a car dealership, pick any japanese brand, and tell them you'd like to buy a standard transmission vehicle.

Look at how many options you have. Count them. Look at how many automatic options you have. Count them.

The problem is, that when simpler options get presented, more fun options get replaced, and fazed out, until they aren't available at all.

If you're an old man, than sure, have no objections, because you'll be dead. But some of us still want to be able to buy motorcycles we can shift in another 30 or 40 years, so, if you're in that position, maybe have at least one or two objections?
Car people are different. Lots don't care at all about fun and want simple. There are very few bike riders that fit in that category (when it comes to bikes, many are OK with a boring car to free up more money for bikes).

Car people are different. Lots don't care at all about fun and want simple. There are very few bike riders that fit in that category (when it comes to bikes, many are OK with a boring car to free up more money for bikes).

I would love to test this theory on a focus group of mid 20 year old riders. I understand your perspective, but from the customers I interact with, I see a huge difference between the 40+ year old riders who, I agree, probably fit what you're saying, versus the 20 year old riders.

And if we're talking about trends in motorcycling 30-40 years down the road, guess which age group will be the ones determining where motorcycling goes from here?

Hence, #SaveTheManuals.

What did Wayne's World say?

If you book it, they will come

There's a small market for automatic motorcycles, but still a market. If you want people to speak, tell them to speak with their wallets. OEM's are in business to make money, not sell 400lb paperweights.

Last edited:

Oh boy...

So based on my comment you think manual shift motorcycles are dead?
I wish I had that kind of power, but no, manual shift motorcycles are not going away any time soon.
Having the OPTION of automatic is good as it can possibly keep people riding and BUYING motorcycles.
No idea why you want to invite my to a car dealership? Pretty crappy first date if you ask me...

So as you can see, no objections from this manual shifting old man...

Car manufacturers have to contend with CAFE and have fuel mileage standards to contend with, and if they don't meet the CAFE standards, they pay fines, HUGE fines.
The reason they don't sell manual trans cars is manual trans cars TANK the fuel mileage averages. Auto trans cars, that are shifted by the ECU get MUCH better fuel economy.
There was a time when if you bought a Ford F150, that got terrible mileage, it was cheaper for Ford to GIVE you a Fiesta (that brought the CAFE average up) than to pay CAFE fines. Buy a pick up get a shitbox for FREE.

... and THAT'S the reason you don't find manual cars anymore... and why if you DO find a manual, it costs more.

There's a small market for automatic motorcycles, but still a market. If you want people to speak, tell them to speak with their wallets. OEM's are in business to make money, not sell 400lb paperweights.
Nor cater to gatekeeping purists. Nobody knows how big the market is, as it hasn't existed up until recently. Considering the shrinking market for big cc motorcycles in many Western countries, any sales are good sales, especially if it helps attract new riders.

Also, many parts of Europe (especially the parts where there are lots of motorcycles) still mostly drive standard cars. Rental cars in Italy, for example, are still vast majority standard, and that's what most people drive.

Every person I know with a DCT GW or AT loves it.

You can still shift manually if you wish to, but most often they're content to let the ride mode determne the shift points.

No stats to prove this, but I've heard the DCT versions of the GW and AT outsell the manual shift ones very substantially.

So based on my comment you think manual shift motorcycles are dead?
No man. You're asking about the present. Re-read what I wrote and the posts in the thread before that. I'm talking about a 30-40 year projection. You'll see where the trend goes, especially with more electrics coming in. Think further down the road.

No man. You're asking about the present. Re-read what I wrote and the posts in the thread before that. I'm talking about a 30-40 year projection. You'll see where the trend goes, especially with more electrics coming in. Think further down the road.
Seriously? this is your expectation of a forum reply, that it be based on the "what if's" of 30-40 years down the road?
It is impossible to predict where trends will go, in 30-40 years from now the human race could be wiped out, so what then?

I wouldn't buy one, but agree that more choice is better for growing the market.

I've had some students that just couldn't get get the hang of the clutch due to poor co-ordination or a lack of mechanical skills. After the course, they opt for scooters as a default fallback, but if they are dead set on riding a motorcycle, then giving them the option of an automatic gets them on two wheels.

Same goes for three-wheelers for people with balance issues or infirmity due to old age or injury. Gets them out of the cages.

Every person I know with a DCT GW or AT loves it.

You can still shift manually if you wish to, but most often they're content to let the ride mode determne the shift points.

No stats to prove this, but I've heard the DCT versions of the GW and AT outsell the manual shift ones very substantially.
They are dope af.

In the city or urban environment no contest I prefer the DCT.

In the Appalachian Mountains I’ll be in manual mode all day.

They are dope af.

In the city or urban environment no contest I prefer the DCT.

In the Appalachian Mountains I’ll be in manual mode all day.
On the more engagement front, I would like the ability to visualize or even better control clutch lockup. I don't like when computers make decisions without telling me what is going on.

People will make fun of me for having a Vespa (that I love) in my bike collection...

and then spend $20,000 on a scooter disguised as a motorcycle.
You need to be constantly bragging about how it's the best real motorcycle ever, for that treatment.

One of the instructors here has a monkey in his collection, that he rides across the city for classes sometimes. It's a great urban transportation motorcycle.

Seriously? this is your expectation of a forum reply, that it be based on the "what if's" of 30-40 years down the road?
It is impossible to predict where trends will go, in 30-40 years from now the human race could be wiped out, so what then?
It won't matter in 30 years... you don't need transmissions on battery powered motorcycles.

Back
Top Bottom