moral question: when is it ok to cross double yellow? | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

moral question: when is it ok to cross double yellow?

Actually it isn't legal, not because of the solid line, but because of the corner. HTA 149 (1).

When you're coming up to a corner and passing in double-solid-yellow, then hell yeah, it ain't legal. But I've seen it on some pretty straight stretches and in areas where a typical bike could lawfully make a pass, but it would not be advisable for a car. Hell, I've seen dotted yellows become solid yellows over the years with no changes in (foot or vehicle) traffic volume or zoning.

Actually it isn't legal, not because of the solid line, but because of the corner. HTA 149 (1).

Actually that's not how I read it. If I read this correctly, you can pass in a corner if your visibility is good AS LONG as there is no railway track. The railway track is the only stipulation where one cannot pass regardless of visibility.
149. (1) No vehicle shall be driven or operated to the left of the centre of a roadway designed for one or more lines of traffic in each direction,

(a) when approaching the crest of a grade or upon a curve in the roadway or within 30 metres of a bridge, viaduct or tunnel where the driver’s view is obstructed within that distance so as to create a potential hazard in the event another vehicle might approach from the opposite direction; or

(b) when approaching within 30 metres of a level railway crossing. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 149 (1).

Last edited:
Actually that's not how I read it. If I read this correctly, you can pass in a corner if you visibility is good AS LONG as there is no railway track. The railway track is the only stipulation where one cannot pass regardless of visibility.
149. (1) No vehicle shall be driven or operated to the left of the centre of a roadway designed for one or more lines of traffic in each direction,

(a) when approaching the crest of a grade or upon a curve in the roadway or within 30 metres of a bridge, viaduct or tunnel where the driver’s view is obstructed within that distance so as to create a potential hazard in the event another vehicle might approach from the opposite direction; or

(b) when approaching within 30 metres of a level railway crossing. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 149 (1).

now the question becomes does the "where view obstructed" phrase apply to the entire clause (a), or just to the bridges/viaducts/tunnels portion?

also, if i'm not mistaken, i believe solid WHITE lines are regulatory? haven't looked into this too much yet, though, to say that with any certainty

think of the DVP, near Don Mills

is it illegal to change lanes across a solid white line?

Ya the whole thing is confusing isn't it. IMO white paint should = law... I'll get to that bit. There are some laws on there with regards to white paint.... like the 407 or when coming to a stop sign and stopping behind the white line.... and there is another one with regards to turning at an intersection and white lines too. However, there isn't a stipulation about not crossing a solid white line per say.... like the DVP, unless there is a sign that goes along with it.

IMO and of course the Police don't care about my opinion.... it would make SENSE (tough thing for law makers to grasp) to have it CLEARLY laid out that:
White = Law
Yellow = Suggestion/Caution
Orange = Construction

I mean think about it. A speed sign is white, a parking sign is white, a don't turn left sign is white. Those all signify laws.
An on ramp suggested speed sign is yellow, a warning sign saying the road doesn't go straight is yellow, a sign saying there is a deer crossing is yellow... even at a traffic light, amber = caution. The yellow lines on the road = suggestion.
Orange = construction obviously, from road markings to signs.

So ya, white SHOULD = law, but.... that's not easily interpreted in the HTA.

so let's say u r at this corner. u want to corner a little faster so u need to cross double yellow into the oncoming lane to apex the corner. normally u would not but since u can clearly see there are no one coming in the opposite way. would it be alright to do it?
If you are a good rider, you have no need to go over any kind of lines and you will enjoy stay inside :cool:

Are you sure your inability to hit the apex is sole limiting factor in you going faster?? Betcha you can go faster without having to resort to crossing the centre-line..and when you can't go any faster without crossing the centre-line, I betcha won't care anymore about going faster by crossing the centre-line.. :)
Here is someone that knows how to ride

A twisty road is more twisty and more challenging if you stay within your own lane ... Straightening it out just makes it look more like a straightaway, and what's the point of that?
exactly my point that if you are good rider you do not need to cross any lines

I will say one thing though. Although I think it is a really bad habit to cross the centre of the roadway in a corner..... if you have bad visibility going into a right hander, it can often be safer to swing over the centre of the roadway on the approach to the corner. This will give you a better view of upcoming corner.

Try crossing the lines into an HOV lane and you will find out that crossing them is illegal. Be careful what you believe on the interweb.

Because they are solid white lines and marked as special lanes with requirements etc.

The trick is that it's not illegal because there's a double yellow line, it's illegal because there's a HOV sign (the sign on the pole, not the diamond painted on the road).
Exactly

There's a BIG difference between YELLOW and WHITE.

FINALLY someone noticed this. It is not illegal to cross a yellow line even a double.... It IS illegal to cross a solid white line. It is illegal to cross close to corners etc but those are as per the road not the line.

now the question becomes does the "where view obstructed" phrase apply to the entire clause (a), or just to the bridges/viaducts/tunnels portion?

also, if i'm not mistaken, i believe solid WHITE lines are regulatory? haven't looked into this too much yet, though, to say that with any certainty

think of the DVP, near Don Mills

is it illegal to change lanes across a solid white line?

Yes it is..... I've seen cops set up next to driveways that they line painters mistakenly painted straight thru (normally the white line breaks for the driveway) and they hit up the house owners. Thats a true money grab imo but I've seen it.

Sorry, it doesn't matter if the line is white or yellow; it's still not a regulatory device in Ontario. Signs are a different matter. On roads like Forks of the Credit, which has solid lines for essentially its entire length, there are signs stating "no passing." THOSE are a regulatory device.

Back
Top Bottom