moral question: when is it ok to cross double yellow? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

moral question: when is it ok to cross double yellow?

funny story:

yellow line markings dont have any legal meaning in this province

silly but true

solid or broken, a yellow line is only a guide. a solid yellow line is merely advice that this might not be the safest place to pass.

what actually matters is where you are. IE on a turn, on a crest, before a tunnel, before RR tracks --- all those places are illegal to pass

but if there's a mile of solid yellow (single, double -- doesnt matter) and the road is flat, straight and clear, there is nothing in the HTA preventing you from crossing that line

thats as far as passing goes

wandering into the opposite lane of traffic just to widen your line is never too legal

Oh snap! I always believed it was illegal.. there's nothing in the HTA? Not saying you're a liar or anything, but would like to see some evidence or facts?

funny story:

but if there's a mile of solid yellow (single, double -- doesnt matter) and the road is flat, straight and clear, there is nothing in the HTA preventing you from crossing that line

Wow. Thats interesting I didnt know that.

I just wanted to point out that whether or not to pass a yellow line is not really a moral consideration, whether illegal or not. You would do what you need to do to remain safe and practical.

Thumbs up to this. I'm shocked how many people in this thread believe it's illegal. I am by NO means recommending it, however it's completely legit.

Stupid in a lot of cases, but completely legal.

If I'm not mistaken, I believe there is an HTA charge for not driving in marked lanes. Emphasis on driving (not passing)

It's amazing how many people have crashes with things they didn't see coming and where they "thought" the way was clear.

Turbo I'm surprised you didn't correct the false facts in this thread. Are you slipping or did it just not fit the agenda.

Crossing a double yellow is not illegal.

hogging left lane is technically illegal.

I don't think that's correct.

I'm pretty sure that there is no law stating that in Ontario and you can pass in any lane. It's more of a common courtesy to pass in the left.

However with trucks on the 401 series highways, if there are 3 or more lanes, they're not allowed to drive in the far left lane. in a 2 lane highway, they're only allowed in the left lane to pass.

I don't think that's correct.

I'm pretty sure that there is no law stating that in Ontario and you can pass in any lane. It's more of a common courtesy to pass in the left.

It is part of the HTA172 stunting legislation that makes impeding other traffic illegal I think. I'm sure Turbo will correct me if I'm wrong.

No matter how spirited i'm riding, I never cross the line. It's not about the laws, I just want to always be prepared for a vehicle approaching in the other lane.

For the circumstances presented in the original post ... essentially crossing the yellow line in order to make it through a corner faster on the road ... it is (almost) NEVER ok to do that. If you find the need to do that, you are going too fast for your skill level.

A twisty road is more twisty and more challenging if you stay within your own lane ... Straightening it out just makes it look more like a straightaway, and what's the point of that?

And by staying within your own lane, try staying ENTIRELY in your own lane, including your upper body and head. With a motorcycle, it's quite possible to have your tire contact patches on the correct side of the center line and your entire body on the wrong side of it.

Emergency situations in which you spot something seriously traction-deficient in your own lane or some other such thing, are another matter, but even then it begs the question of whether you are going too fast for your skill level, or going too fast for your headlights.

The other circumstance is that of passing a slow vehicle on a straightaway. There's nothing in Ontario's HTA that says you can't do it, as long as you are not within a specified distance of a hill, bridge, intersection, etc. But ... It's bad practice. It's one thing if the slow vehicle is a farm tractor. If the other vehicle is a car that is within some reasonable factor of the speed limit then doing things like that gives US a bad name. It also creates bad habits if you happen to go somewhere else in the world where the law is different (which is practically everywhere).

Having said that, there are a good many cases where there is a kilometer or more of visibility, and it was a legal passing zone for years, and the municipality opted to re-paint it as double yellow. In cases like that, because it's not the law in Ontario, they can get stuffed. I'll pass where it's safe.

what i meant was, if the corner REALLY is like that. what if u can clearly see for at least a few hundred meters that there isn't a car coming, and there aren't any hidden driveways.

Ok, let me rephrase. It's amazing how many people have crashes with things they didn't see coming and where they "really thought" the way was clear.

Or do you think that people deliberately go and run into things that they see as a matter of course?

Try crossing the lines into an HOV lane and you will find out that crossing them is illegal. Be careful what you believe on the interweb.

Try crossing the lines into an HOV lane and you will find out that crossing them is illegal. Be careful what you believe on the interweb.

Those are not double yellow lines Baggsy. :) Double yellows tend to be on rural and secondary highways (or in the case of Northern Ontario, primary 2 lane highways like 11 and 17)

You're right though on the HOV lane thing though, I think that's a $500 fine.

Solid yellow, double yellow... it doesn't matter.
If you are PASSING someone, then you can drive on the other lane and cross the double yellow lines. It is legal as long as it is safe and you can see properly. The ONLY time you can't pass is 30m from a railway crossing. Not the wording of the other considerations it says 30m form X if you can't see beyond a tunnel etc.... but if you can see then it is still legal.

Passing vehicle going in same direction
(8) No person in charge of a vehicle shall pass or attempt to pass another vehicle going in the same direction on a highway unless the roadway,

(a) in front of and to the left of the vehicle to be passed is safely free from approaching traffic; and

(b) to the left of the vehicle passing or attempting to pass is safely free from overtaking traffic. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 148 (8).

Driving to left of centre prohibited under certain conditions

149. (1) No vehicle shall be driven or operated to the left of the centre of a roadway designed for one or more lines of traffic in each direction,

(a) when approaching the crest of a grade or upon a curve in the roadway or within 30 metres of a bridge, viaduct or tunnel where the driver’s view is obstructed within that distance so as to create a potential hazard in the event another vehicle might approach from the opposite direction; or

(b) when approaching within 30 metres of a level railway crossing. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 149 (1).

If you cross and hit something they have a good case that your view was obstructed.

so let's say u r at this corner. u want to corner a little faster so u need to cross double yellow into the oncoming lane to apex the corner. normally u would not but since u can clearly see there are no one coming in the opposite way. would it be alright to do it?

You must be Italian. Lane markings mean nothing to them, that's how my aunt and uncle were killed.

The trick is that it's not illegal because there's a double yellow line, it's illegal because there's a HOV sign (the sign on the pole, not the diamond painted on the road).

There's a BIG difference between YELLOW and WHITE.

Ok, let me rephrase. It's amazing how many people have crashes with things they didn't see coming and where they "really thought" the way was clear.

Or do you think that people deliberately go and run into things that they see as a matter of course?

ok, sometimes people "thought" the way was clear but it actually was not. but what if, a person "thought" the way is clear, and in reality, the way IS clear... how about that?

You must be Italian. Lane markings mean nothing to them, that's how my aunt and uncle were killed.

no need to generalize nor assume. sry to hear about ur uncle and aunt. but i hope u didn't take this thread personal. because before making this thread, there's no way for me to know that's what happened to you. and like i already said, i dont intend on doing such thing.

Back
Top Bottom