Middle weight bikes | GTAMotorcycle.com

Middle weight bikes

mimico_polak

Site Supporter
Thinking about the Ducati, I enjoy it, and am going to try AGAIN to sell it.

What else is there for consideration? VSTROM 650 / VERSYS 650 / Tenere 800 / CFMOTO Adventura 650 / BMW F700GS

Anything I'm missing? Come to the realization I love riding...and while I don't have much time...back to longer distances for me as these short jaunts are not as much fun as I expected...

Reliability, 300+km tank range, comfort for the vertically challenged of us are main considerations.

I'll post the Duc tonight if I get some pics different from my place so it's not obvious and put in 'open to trades for XYZ'.

Might be "vanilla" but the Honda NX500 or XL750L

Reliability, 300+km tank range, comfort for the vertically challenged of us are main considerations.

You're probably going to get a laundry list of bikes thrown at you in this thread, but IMO, you shouldn't let the above requirements limit you on what bike you are looking at.

Seat height and ergos are easy to change with lowering links, low suspension, low seat.
Tank range can be extended with aftermarket tanks or carrying a fuel bladder.
Touring comfort can be achieved with seat padding, bar and peg relocation and aftermarket windshield or add-on deflectors

For example, the R1200GS Adventure is one of the tallest seat heights in the market, but I've seen plenty of people lower the suspension and seat to get it to a manageable height and then they get the bike they really want instead of looking at alternatives entirely based on stock specs.

Might be "vanilla" but the Honda NX500 or XL750L
I'm done with the 500cc Hondas. Great at what they do...but I'm done.

I'd consider the NC750XA (or variants), but those are more of the same.

Only Honda I'd love would be the Africa Twin, or TransAlp...but I can't afford those.

EDIT: The VFR800 is my dream 'attainable' bike...but more focused on the sport touring / adv 'lite' market.

Short jaunt is <200km. Longer distance = 500-800km in a day.
My VStrom 650 was only good for about 45 minutes on the stock seat until I constructed a ridiculously wide touring seat. And I could only completely solve the characteristic helmet buffeting by removing the windscreen entirely. I had a similar buffeting experience with the Tracer 900 GT screen on a recent test-ride.

For 8+ hours you'll probably be looking at a custom seat regardless of model. Going in with the expectation that you'll have to do something about the seat, and maybe discard the windscreen entirely, adds a lot more model options that you might not initially consider to be touring bikes.

Good point @Ash. The Scrambler could be a good contender but the windblast and seating position don’t do it for long term.

Once I get the new pics I’ll post it and see. If it doesn’t sell then I’m stuck with it another season.

I've always liked the aprilia dorsoduro.

200 kms range, 35" seat height, supermoto (dis)comfort and questionable Italian reliability...

Is it opposite day today? :D

One thing that doesn't show up on the spec sheet is the nature of the engine's vibrations. I get along really well with the vibes of the Suzuki 650 V-twins. I've spent a lot of time on various Kawasaki parallel-twins, and I like them much less for extended rides; that particular p-twin buzz makes my hands and feet tingle all night long after riding for a few hours.

I really like my Tiger 660. Not as big or tall as other middle adv bikes (yay for you, nay for me) and you have torque over almost all the rev range.

Good point @Ash. The Scrambler could be a good contender but the windblast and seating position don’t do it for long term.

Once I get the new pics I’ll post it and see. If it doesn’t sell then I’m stuck with it another season.
There's no windscreen option that addresses the wind blast? Most ADV bikes don't appear to have much wind protection besides a screen.

I was doing 10 hour days regularly on my SXV (all backroads through Niagara, Muskoka, or Highlands).

And I rode around Mexico for a month on my EXC 500. 🤷‍♂️

mx-X2.jpg

It's all about context.

If mimico finds the Scrambler uncomfortable for long distances, then the Dorsoduro (or SXV or EXC) is not the right direction to recommend to him, despite how many hours or months you or I can do on those kinds of bikes...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom