McGyver'in some side racks | GTAMotorcycle.com

McGyver'in some side racks

mimico_polak

Site Supporter
Hey all,

After seeing @i-WERKS awesome rear luggage rack build, I want to see the general thoughts / considerations of doing something to make the existing rack fitting to my existing E21 luggage.

This is what the rack looks like now...

Current Rack.jpg

And I want to make it work with my E21 luggage that I still have laying around from my CBR250R days but they're in good shape.

I purchased this kit from GIVI Poland thanks to @oioioi recommendation as it's 1/4 of the price here, and now struggling on how to go about.

The size of the E21 is larger than the rack (particularly the left one that is larger than the right rack). so it would somehow need to be expanded and add the components from GIVI to allow mounting of the rack onto these frames while keeping everything secure.

Not in the mood to spend $500 on a dedicated rack at this stage.

EDIT: This is the end result in USD.

I would get a pieces of sheet metal or aluminum.
Cut it to size to accomodate the mounting point that the Givi boxes require.

Using pipe clamps (stainless steel wrapped in rubber) attach the sheet material to the existing racks.

Alternative you can buy used racks in FB that work with your cases as they will have the spacing already and attach to your existing racks in a similar fashion.

I used this similar method with my Givi tool boxes I posted a picture of in the other thread.

I agree with @oioioi. Use some sheet metal as an adapter plate, mount it to your existing racks with pipe clamps and then mount the kit to the plate. Or use plywood if you want to stick to the theme!

I would maybe use plywood to to mock up a trial template as that would be easier to modify quickly if needed.
Once you have the size and mounting points in place, transfer it to sheet metal material of choice.

I would get a pieces of sheet metal or aluminum.
Cut it to size to accomodate the mounting point that the Givi boxes require.

Using pipe clamps (stainless steel wrapped in rubber) attach the sheet material to the existing racks.

Alternative you can buy used racks in FB that work with your cases as they will have the spacing already and attach to your existing racks in a similar fashion.

I used this similar method with my Givi tool boxes I posted a picture of in the other thread.
That's a good idea...I didn't consider finding a rack that works with the cases and installing it.

I had the rack on the CBR250R and CB500F but sold them with the bikes.
I agree with @oioioi. Use some sheet metal as an adapter plate, mount it to your existing racks with pipe clamps and then mount the kit to the plate. Or use plywood if you want to stick to the theme!
Thanks!

I do have some left over diamond plate (?) metal sheet that was too large for my trailer...so all the parts except pipe clamps are basically around.

I would maybe use plywood to to mock up a trial template as that would be easier to modify quickly if needed.
Once you have the size and mounting points in place, transfer it to sheet metal material of choice.
For templates, cardboard is your friend. Cheap and easy. You can use corrugated cardboard if the thickness matters (also stays flatter than single layer cardboard).

You can even mock up more complicated shapes with cardboard and tape. Cut the tape and it lays flat to give you a shape you can trace onto metal. Folding the metal until the edges touch get you bad your 3d shape.

For templates, cardboard is your friend. Cheap and easy. You can use corrugated cardboard if the thickness matters (also stays flatter than single layer cardboard).

You can even mock up more complicated shapes with cardboard and tape. Cut the tape and it lays flat to give you a shape you can trace onto metal. Folding the metal until the edges touch get you bad your 3d shape.
Agreed but with thin plywood you can actually try test mounting it.

I have a welder and a chop saw. Bring beer and we'll make it work.

Found a rack on FBMP but the more I think about it the harder this will be.

The rack needs to have the appropriate amount of connection to the current small rack...if possible, then a support link to the passenger pegs, and a horizontal brace b/w the 2 sides.

Still thinking, but the more I consider it, the harder this is going to be.

You'll need a stick of gum, 4 toothpicks and a small detonation device to 100% MacGyver this build..

Still thinking, but the more I consider it, the harder this is going to be.
Something that helps with design/analysis paralysis is to commit mentally to building the thing at least twice. The first one is to just try things out, with no regard for aesthetics. The second one is to take what you learned from the first one, tweak it so it works better, and then maybe make it look pretty.

Plywood or a thick plastic cutting board over your existing small racks would be my first approach. Bolt everything together and call it a day.

Just a thought as I’ve been so focused on the hard luggage setup, that I can use the existing racks to keep soft luggage in proper position (just larger than what I have).

Any thoughts on that? I like the hard luggage for waterproof and security, but reality is I’m barely ever away from the bike for any decent period of time during my travels.

Just a thought as I’ve been so focused on the hard luggage setup, that I can use the existing racks to keep soft luggage in proper position (just larger than what I have).

Any thoughts on that? I like the hard luggage for waterproof and security, but reality is I’m barely ever away from the bike for any decent period of time during my travels.
Security is an illusion on a bike. The same knife that opens the soft bag probably opens the hard bag without much more effort.

Water resistance by putting drybags inside softbags will greatly exceed water resistance of hard bags.

Unless you are riding overnight, how much are you packing for a day trip?
You do have a hard top case.

Rhino bags are excellent, waterproof, and cheap on Amazon. That’s my recommendation. Will be lighter than hard bags as well.

Back
Top Bottom