McGyver'in some side racks | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

McGyver'in some side racks

Since the Scrambler doesn't seem to be selling....need to look into this again.

Here are the rack measurements...Left is larger, Right is smaller, and the distances on the rectangle are the mount points (so the box is a few inches larger in each direction).

1727456198396.png

And here are the actual racks and luggage.

1727456275503.jpeg

1727456287485.jpeg

1727456299412.jpeg

Since the Scrambler doesn't seem to be selling....need to look into this again.

Here are the rack measurements...Left is larger, Right is smaller, and the distances on the rectangle are the mount points (so the box is a few inches larger in each direction).

View attachment 69984

And here are the actual racks and luggage.

View attachment 69985

View attachment 69986

View attachment 69987
Do you have the male bits that connect to the bags? Or it making those part of the project? Bottom parts are easy to make on the lathe. The latch is possible but you're probably better off making it with hand tools.

After a rough eyeball mockup to determine possible interference points and mark desired height, I would pull the racks off the bike and switch to cardboard aided design. Lay the rack on top of the bag and uses pieces of cardboard to mock up the metal tabs needed. Duplicate in metal, weld them on and you're done.

Do you have the male bits that connect to the bags? Or it making those part of the project? Bottom parts are easy to make on the lathe. The latch is possible but you're probably better off making it with hand tools.

After a rough eyeball mockup to determine possible interference points and mark desired height, I would pull the racks off the bike and switch to cardboard aided design. Lay the rack on top of the bag and uses pieces of cardboard to mock up the metal tabs needed. Duplicate in metal, weld them on and you're done.
Yes, I bought the mount points in Poland thanks to @oioioi suggestion earlier, and they're laying in a bag beside me. Just need to either weld, or connect the frame as per previous suggestion (pipe clamps?).

A big concern (for me) is there isn't a 3rd point of contact / support. The soft bags are very light, so it would ideally require an additional connection somewhere on the bike just as a precaution.

Typically the bags have less than 5lbs in them as it's snacks / towel / adjustable wrench and some allen keys in there for quick repairs.

Yes, I bought the mount points in Poland thanks to @oioioi suggestion earlier, and they're laying in a bag beside me. Just need to either weld, or connect the frame as per previous suggestion (pipe clamps?).

A big concern (for me) is there isn't a 3rd point of contact / support. The soft bags are very light, so it would ideally require an additional connection somewhere on the bike just as a precaution.

Typically the bags have less than 5lbs in them as it's snacks / towel / adjustable wrench and some allen keys in there for quick repairs.
You'd have to check suspension travel but it looks like there is probably enough room to get a bar across to connect the two racks (easy to make with threaded ends on your lathe so it is removeable). Connects the corners just below the turn signals and removes a lot of the torsion and converts it to shear on the mounting bolts.

Alternatively, if you don't mind making the rear seat no longer a seat, you could connect the racks over the top so they become one solid piece connected by four bolts.

If it were me, I'd sell those hard bags and get some strap-on soft stuff off Amazon.

$120 and you have 70l of an easy on, easy off, storage. No rack headaches, no goofy-looking beer box, and you can fit tent pegs into these.

1727466586997.png

Back
Top Bottom