Know where the HTA law about license plate is? | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Know where the HTA law about license plate is?

I have searched and did not find an entry, that's why I am asking here. I checked with 2 other shops and all say only indicator lights and license plate light. no mention of a reflector or where it's supposed to be mounted......

The problem when you sit on the bike the plate will not be visible that is why you will get embarrassed. Change the mounting position

The problem when you sit on the bike the plate will not be visible that is why you will get embarrassed. Change the mounting position

Yeah I have another mounting position to try. I'm going to install a new plate light, when I do I'll mount higher up. The kit I have came with 2 mounting spots, I went with the one further down, this is the mounting position I will switch to.
dscf1109qe6.jpg

dscf1107cw9.jpg

Yeah I have another mounting position to try. I'm going to install a new plate light, when I do I'll mount higher up. The kit I have came with 2 mounting spots, I went with the one further down, this is the mounting position I will switch to.

How does it look, from further back, with someone sitting on it? If any part of the plate is obscured, then you're still in violation.

Another point worth making, is that you're also in violation for not having a mudguard, which is also required under the HTA.

How does it look, from further back, with someone sitting on it? If any part of the plate is obscured, then you're still in violation.

Another point worth making, is that you're also in violation for not having a mudguard, which is also required under the HTA.

my bike doesn't go down at all when I'm sitting on it so I think it'll be okay. I plan to make sure no numbers are obscured which is what the law is around.

In terms of a mudguard I am no concerned, I had the evo tech kit before and was never hassled by cops. All they care about is that they see the plate.

my bike doesn't go down at all when I'm sitting on it so I think it'll be okay. I plan to make sure no numbers are obscured which is what the law is around.

In terms of a mudguard I am no concerned, I had the evo tech kit before and was never hassled by cops. All they care about is that they see the plate.

... and the sticker, which is at the bottom of the plate ;)

... and the sticker, which is at the bottom of the plate ;)

You mean top right corner of plate right ;p

The photo is of someones bike from Alberta, not mine. I have the same bike, just the naked version of it.

You mean top right corner of plate right ;p

The photo is of someones bike from Alberta, not mine. I have the same bike, just the naked version of it.

Sorry, you are correct. I still advise taking some pictures from a reasonable following distance, with someone on the bike, to confirm that it's visible. It'll still be an issue for the 407 ETR, though, as the tail will block photographing of the plate.

Sorry, you are correct. I still advise taking some pictures from a reasonable following distance, with someone on the bike, to confirm that it's visible. It'll still be an issue for the 407 ETR, though, as the tail will block photographing of the plate.

That's a good idea, I think I will do that. Thanks for the tip.

If the top of the wheel is higher than the bottom of the license plate with you sitting on the bike, there will be some sufficient viewing distance behind the bike at which the top of the wheel will start obscuring the license plate.

The only way all this isn't subject to someone's interpretation, is when the license plate is *absolutely* on the BACK of the motorcycle with NOTHING potentially blocking even the slightest piece of the license plate from ANY viewing angle, covering the whole 180 degrees from the left side to the right side and when viewed from any height from pavement to straight up above the bike. OK maybe not straight up, but standing immediately beside/behind/around the bike from normal eye height comes pretty close to that.

I think you'll find that the stock position of the license plate fulfulls this. All of mine do. The only thing that "obstructs" even when viewing the license plate from STRAIGHT UP, is the housing for the license plate lamp, and that's (A) kinda unavoidable, and (B) minimal, and (C) legally required, and (D) is an OEM original-equipment piece of the bike.

Personally, I'd rather not get pulled over for something done by someone else, thank-you very much. In addition to that.....

Clarity and Readability for Law Enforcement Officials
  • Plate selections that are deemed to lack clarity or would be difficult to read. This also includes combinations with:
    • No more than 4 identical characters in sequence;
    • Interchangeable letters/numbers are not allowed (i.e. S/5, A/4, G/6, Q/O);
      • For example, if a plate has been issued with an “S” in its combination and an identical plate request is submitted substituting the “S” with a “5”, that plate will not be approved.
The HTA may be clear, but it seems all personalized plates are screened subjectively.
http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/vehicle/plates.shtml
As an analyst, I assert there's no reliable way to achieve any of this. It's all about the individual screening it. A plate like "GOATSE" could get past most, (and has) but it wouldn't fool me for example. You could easily defend an offensive or confusing plate in court by blaming the MTO for allowing it, if you ever actually got cited. The judge would tell you to change it. Ask him for a refund or a different custom plate and he'll sign for either if it's got a reasonable deadline.

The only way all this isn't subject to someone's interpretation, is when the license plate is *absolutely* on the BACK of the motorcycle with NOTHING potentially blocking even the slightest piece of the license plate from ANY viewing angle, covering the whole 180 degrees from the left side to the right side and when viewed from any height from pavement to straight up above the bike. OK maybe not straight up, but standing immediately beside/behind/around the bike from normal eye height comes pretty close to that.

I think you'll find that the stock position of the license plate fulfulls this.

No they don't. Not all bikes.

0709_hbkp_15_z+harley_davidson+nightster.jpg

Perhaps, but I believe it's true for the particular model and year of SV650 that the original poster has.

You (owner of bike) can't be held responsible for something that the OEM (manufacturer of bike) built and declared that it conforms to CMVSS. If you modify said OEM bike, now you ARE responsible.

The license plate arrangement of that bike in the photo above, is subject to interpretation as to whether it meets Ontario's HTA requirements. But, if you get a ticket for it, your defense is "That's the way the manufacturer built it, I have not modified it in any way, and here's a picture of the declaration on the registration label of the bike that says it meets Federal CMVSS requirements."

If you build something yourself - even if it is functionally EXACTLY THE SAME as the photo above - now YOU are responsible and you cannot use the sentence above in court. The OEM CMVSS declaration is no longer valid because you modified it. Then it comes down to what's written in black and white in the Ontario legislation. And for that ... the tire obstructs part of the license plate when viewed from the offside rear, as shown in the photo above. GUILTY.

By the way, a good many small SUV's that have the OEM spare tire location on the tailgate have the same situation as above - the spare tire blocks the license plate when viewed from the offside rear at a sufficient angle, contravening the black-and-white requirements in HTA. But, again, the situation is the same: "That's the way the manufacturer built it, they certified that it meets CMVSS requirements, it's not my problem, go after Nissan/Toyota/etc if you have a problem with it!"

should also note that the bike in the photo above has a license plate that I believe is for a US state. Is that model sold in that same configuration in Canada? If it is, I don't think I've seen one. It also has no mud-guard.

US and Canadian standards are almost the same, but Transport Canada seems a lot more finicky about compliance. It took one major manufacturer, Aprilia, a couple of years to jump through the Transport Canada hoops. There was a recall on Honda CBR125 headlamps because the headlamp assembly doesn't have a required compliance marking on it. (The headlamp otherwise complies - it just doesn't have the marking stating that it complies.) You essentially can't build and register kit cars here like you can in the States. There's no process whatsoever for importing and registering an outside-North-America vehicle (in the USA, there is a process for this, which is extremely and generally prohibitively expensive, but at least there IS a process, here in Canada they just say "No"), And on and on.

Nice disclaimer on that page

"Vehicle shown may vary visually by market and may differ from vehicles manufactured and delivered. See your dealer for details."

Coming soon! ... if this becomes reality, there will be officials with an added mandate to ensure visibility of vehicle plates. .... :D

The auditor general recommends asking the province to permit bylaw officers to enforce licence-plate visibility standards in the course of their normal duties. Making sure plate numbers are visible could draw $1.7 million more from the program, according to the report.

http://www.thestar.com/news/article/1068664--red-light-runners-could-line-city-coffers-report

I've seen on many vehicles, license plates that are mounted and lit properly but are not legible because the blue paint on the alpha-numeric characters have faded.
My car plates are now almost all white and not illegal because I did not do anything to them, if I repainted the letters it would then be illegal. As long as you don't touch them it is OK at least that is what I have been told.
People have gotten tickets for it. It's your job to make sure your plate is 100% perfect all the time. It's up to you to spend the $20 and replace the plate if it's defective. If it's less than 5 years old there is no fee to get it replaced.

Oh sweet, thanks. Guess I'll see how long I can get away with the thing then!
If you ever get charged with "plate not visible" temporarily "fix" the plate (duct tape it to your back tire) and take a date stamped photograph of it. When you go to court tell the prosecutor it has been repaired, show the photo, and they'll dismiss the charge.

-Jamie M.

Back
Top Bottom