Know where the HTA law about license plate is? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Know where the HTA law about license plate is?

It is blocked by the rear wheel, which would be part of "... any part of the vehicle".

It is as simple as this. It's up to the officers discretion if he/she would like to give you a ticket under the HTA for the way your license plate is affixed to your vehicle. It is up to you if you would like to fight that ticket in court. In court you don't have to prove your not guilty just the fact that you are not guilty beyond a reasonable doubt.

Now to anyone if you do not want the hassle by the police you leave everything stock but where is the fun in that.

Also technically speaking the turn signals must be 12" apart but that's a whole other thread.

It is blocked by the rear wheel, which would be part of "... any part of the vehicle".

And given that it was photographed at what is probably the angle to best reveal the plate, and it's still partially obstructed, there's absolutely no question in my mind that it's positioned illegally.

If you want to obscure your plate, do it smart. Get as many riders as you can to go get custom plates like 1I01O, I1OI0, 10IO1 and so on. Once enough people do it, it will be hopelessly confusing.

Search the legal section. Not only does it have to be lit and visible it has to be mounted at the furthest point on the back of the bike and have the red reflector underneath. The way yours is mounted is likely to attract a lot of negative attention from the cops.

No it's not.

And the reflector has nothing to do with the plates.

If you want to obscure your plate, do it smart. Get as many riders as you can to go get custom plates like 1I01O, I1OI0, 10IO1 and so on. Once enough people do it, it will be hopelessly confusing.

Personally, I'd rather not get pulled over for something done by someone else, thank-you very much. In addition to that.....

Clarity and Readability for Law Enforcement Officials
  • Plate selections that are deemed to lack clarity or would be difficult to read. This also includes combinations with:
    • No more than 4 identical characters in sequence;
    • Interchangeable letters/numbers are not allowed (i.e. S/5, A/4, G/6, Q/O);
      • For example, if a plate has been issued with an “S” in its combination and an identical plate request is submitted substituting the “S” with a “5”, that plate will not be approved.

Personally, I'd rather not get pulled over for something done by someone else, thank-you very much. In addition to that.....

• Plate selections that are deemed to lack clarity or would be difficult to read. This also includes combinations with:
      • For example, if a plate has been issued with an “S” in its combination and an identical plate request is submitted substituting the “S” with a “5”, that plate will not be approved.
So they thought of that first. The best option seems to be to display a plate that you are not ashamed of.

I don't know about that... When I had a Ranger Splash I went to get a personalized plate. I asked for SPLASH but that was taken so I asked for 5PLA5H and I got it.

I'll search the HTA more in depth later today. I was checking yesterday and was not finding anything on the plate yet.

I guess the discretion is around if it is obscured or not. If they have the speed trap by my work open today like they have all week I'll stop and ask the cop his thoughts.

I'll search the HTA more in depth later today. I was checking yesterday and was not finding anything on the plate yet.

I guess the discretion is around if it is obscured or not. If they have the speed trap by my work open today like they have all week I'll stop and ask the cop his thoughts.

matthew found it for you and posted it in the thread earlier. the link is http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/statutes/english/elaws_statutes_90h08_e.htm#BK39 (section 13)

Number plate to be kept clean
(2) Every number plate shall be kept free from dirt and obstruction and shall be affixed so that the entire number plate, including the numbers, is plainly visible at all times, and the view of the number plate shall not be obscured or obstructed by spare tires, bumper bars, any part of the vehicle, any attachments to the vehicle or the load carried. 1994, c. 27, s. 138 (7).

your plate is blocked by your wheel and by the tail.

I don't know about that... When I had a Ranger Splash I went to get a personalized plate. I asked for SPLASH but that was taken so I asked for 5PLA5H and I got it.

Then someone at MTO screwed up, in your favour. Those are the rules.

Number plate to be kept clean
(2) Every number plate shall be kept free from dirt and obstruction and shall be affixed so that the entire number plate, including the numbers, is plainly visible at all times, and the view of the number plate shall not be obscured or obstructed by spare tires, bumper bars, any part of the vehicle, any attachments to the vehicle or the load carried. 1994, c. 27, s. 138 (7).

I've seen on many vehicles, license plates that are mounted and lit properly but are not legible because the blue paint on the alpha-numeric characters have faded (or sanded down? or chemically treated? :rolleyes:) to a bout that they are not legible beyond a distance of about a couple metres and even then you'll strain just see the outline of the characters.

here's an example off a bus ...
i guess the onus would be on the owner to get a new plate if their plate ever got to such a point.

IMG00053.jpg

Surprisingly, that doesn't break any of the rules I posted.

Personally I think "M" and "N" are identical and so did the police when they pulled me over asking how I got the plate.

Personally I think "M" and "N" are identical and so did the police when they pulled me over asking how I got the plate.

Read the descriptive text. If someone else had the plate NNNMNMN, then it wouldn't be allowed. They aren't talking about on the same plate, but rather when two plates are close enough, that they could be mistaken for each other.

Surprisingly, that doesn't break any of the rules I posted.

Sure about that?

"Plate selections that are deemed to lack clarity or would be difficult to read."

You think this is easy to read?

license_20110929155417_46064.jpg

Last edited:
Sure about that?

"Plate selections that are deemed to lack clarity or would be difficult to read."

You think this is easy to read?

View attachment 26497

Not particularly, but it doesn't meet the specific criteria listed. That doesn't necessarily mean that they should have given it to you, but the term "mindless functionary" exists for a reason.

My car plates are now almost all white and not illegal because I did not do anything to them, if I repainted the letters it would then be illegal. As long as you don't touch them it is OK at least that is what I have been told.

Back
Top Bottom