Know where the HTA law about license plate is? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Know where the HTA law about license plate is?

johnnycage

I am trying to find the law around license plates for bikes. I was told by a shop that so long as you have indicator lights and a light shining on the license plate you are fine, however I would like to see how this is defined in the HTA if it is or how it is defined where it is. I tried to find it myself but have been unsuccessful.

I have a competition werkes fender eliminator kit and was hassled by a cop. He didn't give me a ticket but said another probably would, so I would like to be prepared for the next run in I have.

IMG_1194.jpg

I am trying to find the law around license plates for bikes. I was told by a shop that so long as you have indicator lights and a light shining on the license plate you are fine, however I would like to see how this is defined in the HTA if it is or how it is defined where it is. I tried to find it myself but have been unsuccessful.

I have a competition werkes fender eliminator kit and was hassled by a cop. He didn't give me a ticket but said another probably would, so I would like to be prepared for the next run in I have.

Anyone know?

IMG_1194.jpg

The plate has to be lighted and visible, yours is not visible.

Do you know where I can find this written? Mine is visible, just not at the angle the photo was taken. If they state it has to be visible I would like to know how they define it.

Search the legal section. Not only does it have to be lit and visible it has to be mounted at the furthest point on the back of the bike and have the red reflector underneath. The way yours is mounted is likely to attract a lot of negative attention from the cops.

The charge is Obstructed Plate. Your plate is obstructed from view by the rear wheel. The cop must have gotten laid the night before.

Search the legal section. Not only does it have to be lit and visible it has to be mounted at the furthest point on the back of the bike and have the red reflector underneath. The way yours is mounted is likely to attract a lot of negative attention from the cops.

I have searched and did not find an entry, that's why I am asking here. I checked with 2 other shops and all say only indicator lights and license plate light. no mention of a reflector or where it's supposed to be mounted......

Yours looks like it would only be visible when standing beside the bike at the rear, not from any car from a proper distance. Thats what it looks like from your picture at least. You should have asked the officer, I am sure he could have shown you exactly where it was and if he didn't know dispatch could call that up as well.

I have searched and did not find an entry, that's why I am asking here. I checked with 2 other shops and all say only indicator lights and license plate light. no mention of a reflector or where it's supposed to be mounted......

Dude this is gonna get you introuble. Just undo it... Either that or take it one step further and mount the thing backwards..In for a penny and all that

i also have a competition werkes FE and it has no reflectors and i have yet to be bothered by the cops, but yours does sit real deep....i was told it can sit where your seat ends, anything closer to the tank and its no good

Number plate to be kept clean
(2) Every number plate shall be kept free from dirt and obstruction and shall be affixed so that the entire number plate, including the numbers, is plainly visible at all times, and the view of the number plate shall not be obscured or obstructed by spare tires, bumper bars, any part of the vehicle, any attachments to the vehicle or the load carried. 1994, c. 27, s. 138 (7).

The reflector is required under CMVSS, not the HTA

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/acts-regulations/regulations-crc-c1038-sch-iii.htm

HTA section 13 covers number plates. Section 62 covers lamps. Your plate is neither clearly visible to following vehicles, nor is it visible to a photo RADAR or highway toll camera, and so is illegal. It is not mounted at the rear of the vehicle, and so is illegal.

I wanted to ask him but we didn't get a chance to pull over. We were talking at a light on lakeshore. At the time though I had my wife on the back and the plate was pushed further down. He had my pull forward to see if he could see it from the side.

Number plate to be kept clean
(2) Every number plate shall be kept free from dirt and obstruction and shall be affixed so that the entire number plate, including the numbers, is plainly visible at all times, and the view of the number plate shall not be obscured or obstructed by spare tires, bumper bars, any part of the vehicle, any attachments to the vehicle or the load carried. 1994, c. 27, s. 138 (7).
... but OP's plate isn't blocked by a 'spare' tire. :)

Back
Top Bottom