Iron Butt routes | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Iron Butt routes

The key with the 401 is timing.

Actually, the key with any IBA ride is timing (to the best extent possible) when it comes to any city you need to pass through at any point during the ride honestly.

The reason I went counterclockwise was multiple fold, first that put me through Toronto and out the other side before traffic even began building - it was completely wide open all the way to Windsor, and I was at the border before traffic began building there either - I was across the Ambasador bridge and through customs in 5 minutes flat, before the day trippers were on the road. Then I shot south out of Detroit, mostly clear sailing with moderate traffic. Toledo was outskirts only. I missed the morning rush in Cleveland. Outskirts only through buffalo on the I90, and Syracuse wasn’t too big of a concern, I hit only light traffic there.

My biggest concern honestly was the border coming back across at Ganonoque, but it was only a 5 minute wait.

Another reason I opted to go west to start was the critter concern, definitely less chance of experiencing anything (IMHO) during the first 4ish hours in the dark going west vs east - I’d have vern headed down the 81 towards Syracuse still in the dark, and that’s a bad stretch for wildlife given the way that highway is with the huge forested centre medians. That’s also one of the reasons I prefer the slab for an IBA ride honestly to begin with however - still far less chance of any unwanted wildlife interactions, or if there is going to be any, you’ve got more chance of avoidance versus something popping out of the bush 10 feet off the road.

This was my route. I did it in July and planned it so that I was on the 400 series highways before sunrise and after sunset. I kept a small sheet of paper with all my stops and the ETA so that I know if I'm ahead or falling behind. I felt like 24hrs is more than enough time. I took quick 5 min breaks every 1hr to 1.5hr.
Tl8WNfm.jpg

This was my route. I did it in July and planned it so that I was on the 400 series highways before sunrise and after sunset. I kept a small sheet of paper with all my stops and the ETA so that I know if I'm ahead or falling behind. I felt like 24hrs is more than enough time. I took quick 5 min breaks every 1hr to 1.5hr.
Tl8WNfm.jpg

How many hours was it start to finish? My first IBA we did something like 1800km but it was almost 22 hours because of the route, but the route was prescribed by a particular destination, long story. Things were wearing thin by the end.

Fair enough. I just cannot imagine having to ride the 401.. even late at night it always seems to be a long, hot mess. I used to sometimes keep my bike in the city and ride to work. That's no fun and now it never sees the city. With a clock on me and the spectre of fatigue? That could be extra infuriating.

What times of day did your route take you through Toronto?
I was on the 401 heading east well before sunrise, so there was zero traffic all the way from Mississauga to the 35/115.

Coming home it was on a holiday Monday, so I did get a bit of late night long weekend cottage traffic on the 400 south, but it was around 10pm, so mostly moving at the speed limit.

It was a piece of cake, but I was spent the next day, because the twisty roads really demand a high degree of focus.

How many hours was it start to finish? My first IBA we did something like 1800km but it was almost 22 hours because of the route, but the route was prescribed by a particular destination, long story. Things were wearing thin by the end.
I finished in 19 hours (4am to 11pm) but that included a 1hr break near the end of the run. Don't get me wrong, I was also wearing thin by the end but when I think back, it was still a good time.

Back
Top Bottom