Iron Butt routes | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Iron Butt routes

Woke up at 04:30 in a scrap yard behind an auto repair shop somewhere in PEI, rode around the island, headed home. Got home at 03:30 and went to sleep. I don't know where the notes are hiding but something like six fuel stops, two food/bio breaks and snacks on the bike. Long rides always have a camelbak.
Camelbak is something I don't think I would need. After a couple of hours I have to really get off the bike and stretch. That's usually when I hydrate. Although I recognize the whole game changes when you're talking 16h vs 8h.

Did the SS1000. My all Canadian route was Toronto -> 400N -> Sudbury ->17/417E -> Ottawa -> 416S/401E -> Montreal -> 401W -> Toronto

Wrote a magazine article about it:

The city-to-city route is almost exactly 1600 kms, so in order to bump the route up to 1000 miles, I got gas in the East Montreal suburb of Repentigny before heading back to TO. Total mileage by Google Maps was something like 1640 kms.

ss1000-X2.jpg

This was not ideal. I got stuck for 30 minutes in rush hour traffic in Montreal, which is just as bad if not worse than Toronto. Still managed the entire thing in 17 hours 53 minutes including a half hour break for lunch and leisurely stops (not F1 pitstops).

Knowing what I know now, what I'd do is modify the route above and instead of going through Montreal, I'd add a dogleg (dogtail?) to the gas station just outside of Espanola, just west of Sudbury.

ironbutt-X2.jpg

Input these gas stations into Google Maps:

Toronto
331 ON-17, McKerrow, ON P0P 1M0 (Esso)
Petro-Canada, 855 Chem. Saint-Féréol, Les Cèdres, Quebec J7T 1E9
Toronto

And you'll get the route which bypasses Montreal and gets you just a shade over 1000 miles.

IBA#44913

I think it’s a great experience and recommend it.

BUT

make sure you’re well rested and mentally / physically ready.

I fell asleep for a few seconds at a time on the 401 on the bike from exhaustion / cold / dehydration.

If I was to do it now. Camelback, heated gear, better bike. I did it on a CB250R.

Here we are at the top of the mountain overlooking NYC.

View attachment 70548

Blackbird 1100 / Hyabusa / ZX1100R / CBR250
My long day was at the end of a week of riding. Most days were on the bike 6am to 10-11pm with two food/bio breaks. Slept on the ground beside the bike. I was tired when I got home.

I like the loop Orillia-Matheson-Wawa-Soo-Orillia. Low traffic, 120KMH all day on a bike, beautiful fall scenery south of the watershed, rugged boreal scenery up top.

Downside to an IB this time of year is 7 hours of riding in the dark vs 0 hours in June. Oct is the prime time for wildlife collisions too -- deer are migrating, bear and moose are moving to winter elevations, and small animals seek the warmth retained by asphalt after dark.

attempted this last yr before arrival of daugther. phone fell out (and lost) as soon as i was leaving the QC boarder back to windsor.

no issues the whole way and it was early spring.

....i may be enticed to retry such craziness if you are looking for a partner....

Did the SS1000. My all Canadian route was Toronto -> 400N -> Sudbury ->17/417E -> Ottawa -> 416S/401E -> Montreal -> 401W -> Toronto

Wrote a magazine article about it:

The city-to-city route is almost exactly 1600 kms, so in order to bump the route up to 1000 miles, I got gas in the East Montreal suburb of Repentigny before heading back to TO. Total mileage by Google Maps was something like 1640 kms.

ss1000-X2.jpg

This was not ideal. I got stuck for 30 minutes in rush hour traffic in Montreal, which is just as bad if not worse than Toronto. Still managed the entire thing in 17 hours 53 minutes including a half hour break for lunch and leisurely stops (not F1 pitstops).

Knowing what I know now, what I'd do is modify the route above and instead of going through Montreal, I'd add a dogleg (dogtail?) to the gas station just outside of Espanola, just west of Sudbury.

ironbutt-X2.jpg

Input these gas stations into Google Maps:

Toronto
331 ON-17, McKerrow, ON P0P 1M0 (Esso)
Petro-Canada, 855 Chem. Saint-Féréol, Les Cèdres, Quebec J7T 1E9
Toronto

And you'll get the route which bypasses Montreal and gets you just a shade over 1000 miles.

IBA#44913
@NuggyBuggy let us know how it goes.
I also want to do IBA one day. But I need to get a better seat first. Unless I can Airbnb @PrivatePilot's living room for the ride.

@Lightcycle Thank you for planning my route for me.

Oct is the prime time for wildlife collisions too -- deer are migrating, bear and moose are moving to winter elevations, and small animals seek the warmth retained by asphalt after dark.

Never underestimate the possibility of a wildlife collision... I've travelled the Trans Canada many times. North of Sault Ste. Marie I get off the road before dusk.
Last july I came within 30 ' of hitting a full grown moose at 100kmh.
'Talk about a butt-puckering moment. I even braced for impact it was so close!

This one must have been clipped by a transport truck... (Same trip in July)

GYmZavq.jpeg

That might have been sitting there for a while.
Looks like it had ballooned already.

Yeah... It certainly was bloated..
No chance of salvaging him for steaks...

'Couple of years ago I was riding back form BC with a buddy... Leaving Quetico Prov. Park at about 08:00 we rode over a slight rise in the road... Standing in the middle of the highway were THREE adult moose...
We had to pretty much slow down to almost a stop while they strolled off into the woods...

That morning, during the first 30km of the trip we saw eight moose.
They are out there...(except during hunting season)

I've done 1050 km in a 12 hour ride back from Ohio. Combination of a few back roads and then slab. ST1100 with a Russell Day Long seat. Pretty comfortable, all things considered, but a tiring day for me.

I have zero inclination to do a 1,600 km ride. Too long day in the saddle, risk of critters etc........ Just not interested.

I looked at your route. I have tons of experience on Highway 7 Peterborough to Ottawa and also on your route back to Orillia area. I certainly would not recommend 7......... slow traffic, too many stops and and potentially too many critters. I ride 28, 121/118 and the 503 all the time, was just there yesterday. Way too many critters. Finding an open gas station could be an issue as well on this northern route, there just are not many along these roads.

FWIW, this is route I'd take. Not exactly exciting roads, all slab, but it gets the job done.

If you leaving Orillia at 4 AM I'd take the 400 SB to the 401 WB, then on to Windsor. On the way back to Prescott take the 401 EB. Do yourself a huge favor and take the 407 EB at the 401 and get off at the 412 SB and continue on on the 401 EB. At Prescott turn around and come back along the 401 WB. At the 412 cut north to pick up the 407 again and take it to the 400 NB back to Orillia. About 1,600 KM and 16 hours. Probably 20 hours with gas, rest and bio stops and get you back to Orillia at midnight. Of course, Google gives you times based on the speed limit......... So on the slab you can probably cut the time by 10 - 20 percent, if not more.

If you're going to ride through Toronto don't cheap out on the 407 option. Yes, it's probably $130 - $140 bucks all in but you could lose an hour or 2 in traffic and the 401 is teeming with lunatics and incompetent drivers. I have a cottage in the Kawarthas and I never use the 401 on the bike anymore. Just not worth the hassle or risk or the unpleasantness of it. I came across the 407 yesterday afternoon and traffic was averaging 130 kph+ in the middle lanes........... the left lane guys were moving well above this speed. The 401 was stop and go based on the traffic report.

Water on board + munchies + heated gear

@NuggyBuggy let us know how it goes.
I also want to do IBA one day. But I need to get a better seat first. Unless I can Airbnb @PrivatePilot's living room for the ride.

@Lightcycle Thank you for planning my route for me.
If I can do an IB on a CBR250….your beast has no excuse.

He’ll just for kicks I’ll do one on the Scrambler. I’ve done 950km this year…what’s another 700km!?

Only issue is gas…but I can be convinced for next season…

If I can do an IB on a CBR250….your beast has no excuse.

He’ll just for kicks I’ll do one on the Scrambler. I’ve done 950km this year…what’s another 700km!?

Only issue is gas…but I can be convinced for next season…
If I'm around in June next year I'll try to plan to do it.
You are welcome to come but you need to figure out a bigger gas tank. ;)

My last week on the road was a string of 10-hour superslab days.

Both of our bikes had to go in for their $ervice when we got back and Neda wore down a whole rear tire for the entire trip.

I never want to waste tire and engine life on mind-(and butt) numbing slab again. Empty calories.

Give me twisties from now on. Asphalt or dirt. Doesn't matter. No more slab.

Doesn’t take long on a warm day.
My last week on the road was a string of 10-hour superslab days.

Both of our bikes had to go in for their $ervice when we got back and Neda wore down a whole rear tire for the entire trip.

I never want to waste tire and engine life on mind-(and butt) numbing slab again. Empty calories.

Give me twisties from now on. Asphalt or dirt. Doesn't matter. No more slab.
There aren’t many places where super slabs are the only decent route.

They are a time/money decision only. If you have time and money, you can live without slabs.

I will attempt the Saddle 1000 ONCE, if I can complete it, that will be IT. I don't need to do more.
If I bail out part way, well so be it, not trying it again.

I just mapped out the route that @Lightcycle drew up and its 1727 kms from my closest gas station at home.

June 20th is the longest day and it falls on a Friday in 2025. Followed by 2 days of recovery. Perfect.

I'll share some suggestions on an IBA route tomorrow (just finished mine, see the Who's still riding thread), but personally I wouldn't stray far from slab for an IBA. Getting off onto secondary highways drags your average down and can potentially turn what should be a 16-18 hour Saddlesore 1000 into a 22-23 hour slog that you're dying at the end.

I just did a shade over 1600km in a shade over 16 hours, maintaining an average of around 110kph, even with 2 border crossings. There is zero chance you'll maintain that unless you're running superslab.

You also need to be prepared to keep your stops tight. Making every fuel stop into a 20-25 minute affair can absolutely destroy your average, again turning what should be an easy 16-18 hour day into a 22+ hour beatdown. My usual fuel stops are under 5 minutes total. Get off the bike to fuel quick, stretch, and back on and go. If a bathroom or coffee is needed, make it quick - goal is 10 minutes from stop to roll maximum, 4-5 minutes if I don't need to go inside. It's a lot nicer getting home in good time than dragging yourself the last few hundred kilometers dying and regretting the whole thing, but keeping your stops tight is essential.

And good gear. There is no replacement for good gear on a ride like this. Today I wore my textile pants with just the liner and no pants, just seamless underwear. No seams across the ass in any pants nor any seams in the textile pants = no ass pain. Sure, it can still get sore, but it's one less thing to cause irritation.

I never filed paperwork. That adds a whole layer of hassle and overhead. I know what I did, I don't need the badge and number. If they simplified it, maybe something like a timelapse camera log, I would consider it. How many people try to cheat the system and get unearned IBA badges?

It's a lot easier with Spotwalla now. I still get receipts at any major turn just because Spotwalla only updates every 10 minutes and can "short" you some miles, which ultimately still only matters if you are running very close to the minimum like I did today, but still, it's cheap insurance, and you have to buy gas anyways, so do it strategically.

As for the whole thing, I only certified my first ever one years ago and have done plenty of eligible rides since but saw no need to spend $50USD to get duplicates of a SS1000 certificate with just different dates and locations. The only reason I certified this one today is because the certificate I will have earned is a special memorial one for my friend who lost his life last year on one of his own IBA rides. That certificate is one I want on my wall, so todays ride was in his honour, and I had some of his ashes along with me and spread them as part of the ride. RIP Kevin.

I will attempt the Saddle 1000 ONCE, if I can complete it, that will be IT. I don't need to do more.
If I bail out part way, well so be it, not trying it again.

I just mapped out the route that @Lightcycle drew up and its 1727 kms from my closest gas station at home.

June 20th is the longest day and it falls on a Friday in 2025. Followed by 2 days of recovery. Perfect.
Might be fun having a little Summer Solstice competition. I usually head north for a long ride the week after solstice, sun is up 16 hours so no night riding required. Ride noon till 10 sleep 7 hours, then ride 5 till noon.

Back
Top Bottom