I give up | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

I give up

A large part of the problem is our over-reliance on verbal communication over the printed word. We pick up and re-use idioms and phrases without bothering to understand their etymology, let alone learn the proper spelling.

I take it all for granite now. Weather people want to tow the line or not, it just doesn't seem to phase me anymore. It seems to pass mustard these days, so it's all a mute point really. I stopped trying to nip it in the butt a long time ago, and you won't find me waiting with baited breath for them to correct themselves. It's all one in the same to me these days.

hahahaha

I see what you did there....

Where is Slip Mahoney when you need him?

I regurgitate that I depreciate your keen observation, it's such a clever seduction. Is it an optical delusion?

Don't you look at me in that tone of voice.

For all intensive purposes, it's all the same. Irregardless, you just have to orientate yourself to the way people conversate. Personally, I could care less about it.

Ouch, that made me cringe! But "irregardless" on it's own is enough for that.

i think there are more worthwhile things to be annoyed about given the threads you listed then your topic.

848 evo ooh mai gawd, im 10x the rider now because i can break 10x better, harder, and faster.

omg! old lady stopped in front of me, my day is ruined, f u!

One of the reasons I don't bother with the General forum any more. There's lots of people on here that ride motorcycles, but the percentage that are motorcyclists get's diluted on a daily basis. I won't even bother commenting on the current crop of illiterati. Apparently you're a keyboard warrior if you do.

Last edited:
I distinguish between logical and linguistic/spelling errors. I try to correct logical ones directly if I feel like it's going to have any effect (example: using the term "bullet" when talking about a slug/projectile). I correct linguistic errors by repeating the word correctly and slightly demoting my private virtual rating of the person towards the rank of "lazy and illiterate dumbster" every time the error happens (example: boarder instead of border).

Let’s face it: English is a crazy language.
There is no egg in eggplant or ham in hamburger, neither apple nor pine in pineapple. English muffins were not invented in England or french fries in France. Sweetmeats are candies, while sweetbreads, which aren’t sweet, are meat. We take English for granted. But if we explore its paradoxes, we find that quicksand can work slowly, boxing rings are square, and a guinea pig is neither from Guinea nor is it a pig. And why is it that writers write, but fingers don’t fing, grocers don’t groce, and hammers don’t ham? If the plural of tooth is teeth, why isn’t the plural of booth beeth? One goose, 2 geese. So, one moose, 2 meese? One index, two indices? Is cheese the plural of choose?
If teachers taught, why didn’t preachers praught? If a vegetarian eats vegetables, what does a humanitarian eat?
In what language do people recite at a play and play at a recital? Ship by truck and send cargo by ship? Have noses that run and feet that smell? Park on driveways and drive on parkways?
How can a slim chance and a fat chance be the same, while a wise man and a wise guy are opposites? How can the weather be hot as hell one day an cold as hell another?
When a house burns up, it burns down. You fill in a form by filling it out and an alarm clock goes off by going on.
When the stars are out, they are visible, but when the lights are out, they are invisible. And why, when I wind up my watch, I start it, but when I wind up this essay, I end it?
Now I know why I flunked my English. It’s not my fault; the silly language doesn’t quite know whether it’s coming or going.

What are you talking about? People park on the Don Valley Parkway all the time.

They should change it's name to Don Valley Parking Lot then. "Parkway" is misleading because it implies that there's actually a way :>

The natives let the Vikings, British, and French in. From a native standpoint the place has been going to hell ever since. At least the Vikings had the decency to not wear out their welcome.

The bears let the natives in.. i blame the bears.

The bears let the natives in.. i blame the bears.

da_bears01.gif

A large part of the problem is our over-reliance on verbal communication over the printed word. We pick up and re-use idioms and phrases without bothering to understand their etymology, let alone learn the proper spelling.

I take it all for granite now. Weather people want to tow the line or not, it just doesn't seem to phase me anymore. It seems to pass mustard these days, so it's all a mute point really. I stopped trying to nip it in the butt a long time ago, and you won't find me waiting with baited breath for them to correct themselves. It's all one in the same to me these days.

I understood that and didn't even pick up on it right away. Time to lobotomize myself!

I understood that and didn't even pick up on it right away. Time to lobotomize myself!

Same difference. Have an expresso, ex cetera.

I speak Esperanto like I was born there!

Back
Top Bottom