Ever had this happen? | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Ever had this happen?

Many years back when I imported my Goldwing I overheard a Canadian border agent tell a person importing that we didn't care about the USA export documents but if the trailer ever ended up in the USA again there could be problems. A crash, traffic stop or sale could show dual registrations.

"Homebuilt" trailers don't have S/Ns. Just sayin'.

many-grinding-wheels.jpg

"Homebuilt" trailers don't have S/Ns. Just sayin'.

many-grinding-wheels.jpg

That’s fine if the trailer actually *looks* to be a home built, but most buyers looking at a trailer that is very clearly factory made but with the VIN number ground off, they are going to walk away.

That’s fine if the trailer actually *looks* to be a home built, but most buyers looking at a trailer that is very clearly factory made but with the VIN number ground off, they are going to walk away.

You can go into the showroom at Miska and buy an off the floor trailer or if you want a custom length/width or do the labour yourself, go to the service dept. and buy all the same parts that they use for their own builds. If you're a decent welder/painter or have people that are you can build an identical or custom dimensioned trailer for parts minus labour/markup. Outside of units like Stingers etc. they're rudimentary appliances, at best, and not that hard to duplicate. You can do the same for less and duplicate a CTC style budget trailer by doing the same thing at Princess Auto's trailer parts section.

If it was a boat, camper or factory built enclosed trailer, I’d want a vin. A ground off vin would make me think it’s stolen.

Some people abuse the system for reasons I don't understand by registering any trailer they buy as a homebuilt. Trying to avoid taxes? There are no book values on trailers, so if you buy a trailer for $5000 and get a receipt for $500, well, nobody's going to bat an eye at SO, so I don't understand why some people will try to pull a fast one on the system to save....$65 in taxes? At the expense of not having a proper ownership when it comes for them to try to resell that trailer down the road?

I know if I went to look at a manufacturer built trailer with a VIN number and the owner pulls out an ownership that says "Homebuilt" when it comes time to hand over money, I'm running in the other direction.
A lot of boats used to be the same, as well as RV trailers that never leave the park.

I can understand the buyer not wanting to pay the taxes but I can't understand the seller risking the liability of someone creating a situation where a serial or registration number has the law or lawyers knocking on their door years later.

Where is the handwritten bill of sale five years later when the boat has been resold, possibly more than once.

I once called the PST people, mentioning the unrecorded trailer sales and was told they can't be bothered. I guess work isn't in their job description.

As far as buying a registered something, the cheque gets made out to the registered owner. If the seller bought it from his buddy who bought it from his cousin's sister the seller does the legwork to straighten it out.

Back
Top Bottom