Electric Lawn Mower? | Page 5 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Electric Lawn Mower?

I’ve had my EGO Power Plus mower for 8 years. It’s never missed a beat regardless of being made of plastic.
The battery is just now showing signs of deterioration, but I can still do both front and rear lawns and string trim on a single charge.

Mine is a self-propelled model, but I’d like forego that option next time.

Thank you. Before purchasing, I did extensive research. Lots of owner experiences on YouTube and online reviews who work the EGO a lot harder than I ever will and it seems to hold up well after a good slogging and after several years.

I too skipped the self propel for less weight, less complexity, and less price.

I just wish it had a dual blade. Otherwise,
So far, color me impressed.

Today’s the day that Costco has the Greenworks Pro 21” self propelled 80V mower on sale with $200 off. Price is $599 after the discount. I got my price adjustment today!

Revisiting this thread, because this morning, about a quarter of the way through mowing the front lawn, my 20+ year old Black and Decker cord lawnmower suddenly lost power and slowed down, then let out smoke and smelled bad, then popped the circuit breaker and stopped.

Total area front and back yard plus the part of both neighbor's front yards that we all split mowing duties on is about 200 square metres.

Revisiting this thread, because this morning, about a quarter of the way through mowing the front lawn, my 20+ year old Black and Decker cord lawnmower suddenly lost power and slowed down, then let out smoke and smelled bad, then popped the circuit breaker and stopped.

Total area front and back yard plus the part of both neighbor's front yards that we all split mowing duties on is about 200 square metres.
Buy another quality corded mower and have it for another 20 years would be the easiest solution, but what is quality these days?

Are you kidding me?

You can get a simple EGO for just over 500 on sale.

I've had mine for a couple months now

Absolute game changer and Simply amazing!
No, not kidding. He's been using a corded lawn mower for 20 years, so he has the cord(s) already and obviously know how to use it and has had no issues.

Also he can buy almost two for the price of yours and you add an insult.. nice

1719511591846.png

Last edited by a moderator:
No, not kidding. He's been using a corded lawn mower for 20 years, so he has the cord(s) already and obviously know how to use it and has had no issues.

View attachment 68556

The average lawn mower lasts what... 10 years at least? esp if you have a small lawn where corded was used? maybe longer? (ive seen heavily used egos with lots of "miles" on them, their batteries are long lasting and durable)

At 600 out right purchase, thats $60 per year over 10 years at least, A bargain that anyone can afford easily.

Any reasonable person would gladly spend $60 per year for the absolute convenience of not having to unravel a silly extension cord and worry about dodging it thru the grass.

Last edited by a moderator:

View attachment 68556
I used paper maps for 30 years and was quite comfortable navigating with them. Doesn't mean I'd use them today rather than a much easier and more accurate electronic navigation system. People move on; it's called progress.

I bought a Yardworks 17" 48v for a sale price at Canadian Tire. I just did the front and back lawn including the adjacent parts of the neighbors lawns on both sides. No problem.
Congrats for not being clueless..
The average lawn mower lasts what... 10 years at least? esp if you have a small lawn where corded was used? maybe longer? (ive seen heavily used egos with lots of "miles" on them, their batteries are long lasting and durable)

At 600 out right purchase, thats $60 per year over 10 years at least, A bargain that anyone can afford easily.

Any reasonable person would gladly spend $60 per year for the absolute convenience of not having to unravel a silly extension cord and worry about dodging it thru the grass.

unless you are clueless.... (wink)
Again he used a corded mower for 20 years, I just figured he could continue that way. Just an opinion, we're talking lawn mowers here, settle down..
Lastly 600 may not be an amount someone wants to spend to mow a small lawn. But I got 5 acres to cut so what do I know...

unless you are clueless.... (wink)
Our 16" 40 volt Ryobi is a half dozen years old and the battery is near dead. New it did the front and back lawns with a enough juice to run the trimmer. Now it does half the back lawn.

A new battery is about $230. That's about $40 per year. Unless you have zero logic you don't go through $230 in cords in six years. Gas to us isn't an option. Noise, nuisance, storage and fire risks aren't worth it.

Battery is all about convenience.

My grandfather used a scythe so suck it up. He also mowed the lawn in winter in bare feet, uphill.

PS A reel mower is the best. It actually cuts the grass while rotary blades typically batter the top bits off.

I used paper maps for 30 years and was quite comfortable navigating with them. Doesn't mean I'd use them today rather than a much easier and more accurate electronic navigation system. People move on; it's called progress.
I still use paper maps when I'm on the bike. I also had paper CAA triptiks for our recent drive to Florida in March. They were help planning the route and I took them along as a backup to the onboard GPS in the car. Good thing too because the GPS took us on three separate unnecessary detours on our return trip.

About 35 years ago I bought my dad a 19" Black and Decker battery-powered mower, not for eco reasons -- he was terrible with mechanical things and I was often summoned to start or fix his gas mowers. It was 36v powered by 3 12v lead acid batteries.

That thing cut grass reliably for 25 years, I changed the batteries once.

I have a perfectly good Stilh 2 smoke trimmer and blower. My wife loves trimming the grass but despite the 1 pull starting on the Stihls, she can never get them started. I reluctantly bought a Milwaukee string trimmer and blower package last week -- game changer.

About 35 years ago I bought my dad a 19" Black and Decker battery-powered mower, not for eco reasons -- he was terrible with mechanical things and I was often summoned to start or fix his gas mowers. It was 36v powered by 3 12v lead acid batteries.

I have a perfectly good Stilh 2 smoke trimmer and blower. My wife loves trimming the grass but despite the 1 pull starting on the Stihls, she can never get them started. I reluctantly bought a Milwaukee string trimmer and blower package last week -- game changer.
I turned own a 40 volt Ryobi snow blower because the first version was a piece of crap. Instead of the $700 I got a deal on an 18" 120 volt plug in. It works but battery power would be nice. Unfortunately a 4000 watt inverter and a 12 volt battery would cost as much as a newer and decent battery model. An eighteen inch one is easier to store in my case.

If interested in parting with the 2 stroke trimmer and blower, let me know. I'm in the market for both.

Back
Top Bottom