Earplugs, In-Ear Headphones or Other? | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Earplugs, In-Ear Headphones or Other?

If you know exactly what you want I'll bring them in.
No one will let you try them or return them.

I don't know which is better, but I'm thinking the MC5 is the way to go. If you're talking about getting it from the US, I suppose I can do the same. Best price I can see is $79.

Honestly, all I want is a set of good headphones that will block out wind noise like earplugs do, and won't fall out or get pulled out by my helmet. I'll likely get the Comply foam tips to make this work even better. But then I'm looking at stuff like the Skullcandy Titans, which are like $30. They might do the job, and with the Comply foam tips, they'll block wind noise and won't fall out.

Are the MC5s $50 better?

Worth visiting Bay Bloor Radio. They have all sorts of ear buds for you to try on before you buy. I got my pair of Klipsch from them, fair pricing.

I just picked up a set of Ultimate Ears 200vi from Best Buy. They're on for $45. They worked great under my helmet, blocked most noise, but I'm finding that the right ear, even with the smallest ear pad, has a bit of pressure/pain. Would Comply tips help with this?

Because apparently, Logitech is selling these for $20 online until the 1st. I like them, just would like them to be a little more comfortable.

That's a hard call - some people just cannot tolerate in -ear.
Mine bother me a bit.
Try flipping them upward and the cord looped over your ear.....sometimes relieves pressure.

Bay Bloor is fine but unless you intend to haul your helmet in - it may not be useful.
Some helmets fit very close around the ear.
I found a thin balaclava helps keep them in and in place.
Makes getting helmet on and off easier with them in.

The comply tips are very comfortable....expensive habit.
If you have ear plugs you are comfortable with there are instructions on line to turn them into in-ear tips.

Best price I can see is $79.

I've seen UEi5s in that range sometimes. = even lower without the on off skip module.

superfi-earphones,5-2-290486-1.jpg
loupe.gif
Zoom
Ultimate Ears SuperFi 5 Noise Isolating Earphones for $49.99 with free shipping (normally $129 - use coupon code superfi5_42911).

I have a pair of headphones that I find very comfortable for my motorcycle use: Sennheiser MM30i. It comes with mic which I attach occasionally to the chin strap or chin piece of the helmet and can answer calls. People hear me alright when I travel at fast speeds. The mic also has 3 buttons on it that allow you to play music through it. So if you have it attached to your iPhone or something it allows you to play, toggle volume and do forward/back on tracks. I use all these features more or less everyday and do not run into many issues. Have used them for a few months now. The earbuds are the smallest I have seen to date, so they hardly get touched when the helmet gets put on and they usually come out when I take the helmet off.

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product...spx?path=61849e4c48a07c55bbbfee8a954d3a01en02

The sound quality is not comparable to my Shure 315 but very decent.

I've seen UEi5s in that range sometimes. = even lower without the on off skip module.

superfi-earphones,5-2-290486-1.jpg
loupe.gif
Zoom
Ultimate Ears SuperFi 5 Noise Isolating Earphones for $49.99 with free shipping (normally $129 - use coupon code superfi5_42911).

Damn, that's a smoking deal, too bad I missed it. I just bought two pairs of the 200vi from the same site for $20 each. Also picked up a mixed pack of Comply tips.

I have been wearing the buds upwards, with it looped over my ear. That's actually worse, but the only way to really ensure I can get my helmet on. Rode home from work and it was fine.

It's possible I may have just bruised/irritated it today from messing around with the headphones. We'll see. But so far, loving the 200vi. I'm sure for $100, I could get very good and comfortable IEMs, but as a student, $20 is better for me.

You really want to get a US Mailbox and US credit card to take full advantage of Amazon.
Even books which are $8.99 or 9.99 plus tax here are $7.99 and no tax ( ebooks are best ).

Many places also won't ship without a US address. Lots of advantages for riders to have that US address.
Lewiston is real close ;)

Hi macdoc, I have a USD visa but its from TD...do you mean get a US CC? I know google will probably work but any advice on how to go about doing that when I dont have a SSN for US?

Your US TD Visa is fine you just need to get a US mailbox address and have Visa make that the billing address and you are good to go.
Saves a lot on Amazon and other sites - some which are US only.

I just tried ear phones after reading this and I was surprised. I have Shure in ear buds and they blocked less than my ear plugs, but with the added music it was nice. I only rode during the day with the music on. It was a nice change and I will do it for sure when I'm going for semi-long rides!

Update..just got my Shures...no customs or tax charges on the package as the value was marked down...a nice touch. The earphones sound great, sit very flush with the ears so there should be no helmet problems. The cords go over the ears, which will help seating the in while putting the helmet on and off. The cord for the 215s is excellent, really good quality, looks to be very durable. I like that I can replace the whole cord without throwing out the earphones. Comes with a selection of foam and silicon tips, a cleaning tool and a pouch to keep the earphones in and a 2yr warranty honoured by Earphone Solutions as they are an authorised Shure dealer.

Thanks - might take a look at them once my i5s bite the dust ( getting worn at the cord to plug )interface - not sure how you can replace the cord on yours - sounds intriguing.

ah I see

41cLMnsxTrL.jpg
I just wonder if they will be prone to pull out of the ear piece but let us know.
Need something with on/off skip tho

This is also a very good article from the same site.
http://www.earphonesolutions.com/the-case-for-in-ear-earphones.html

Last edited:
I use a Sony bluetooth module to plug the phones into..that has forward, reverse, pause and also a mic to take calls. $50 off Ebay or from Dell.ca. Can keep my phone in a pocket or tank bag too. The connection between the lead and the earphones is solid. Has a positive/click connection for changing.

I've just never found BT audio connections very good on audio quality - that's my issue with that approach.

It's not that bad as the source is always close by and the convenience for me with the bluetooth module on my glove with the cord run up my arm and my phone in my pocket is worth any small drop in quality and really the difference isn't that great.

I keep my phone in my pocket for BT calls and the the iPod in the other pocket for music - cable just runs to UE5s for music...BT is fine for voice.
Lately just run the cable for the UEs to the iPhone I'm using for VoiceNav and music....sits on the brake cylinder to see the satellites - I KNOW there is a significant difference in audio quality between spread spectrum BT and a direct connection but it may not bother you.

Hmm...but have you tried the Sony bluetooth stereo sets or the adapter? I have both, the earbuds are actually pretty good and the adapter that I just got means I can use the new Shures too. Music is surprisingly decent in them and to be honest you're not setting yourself up for the best aural experience anyway going 120kmh into a headwind.

Back
Top Bottom