Earplugs, In-Ear Headphones or Other? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Earplugs, In-Ear Headphones or Other?

+1 to both - Ety gives you the most control but also $$
Some find them a bit more clinical than the UEs.

There are deals on both to be had but there are so many UE models it's bewildering.:confused1:

Thin balaclava's like the Oxford also make it far easier to keep the in ear headphones positioned with a good seal and get your helmet on and off.

I agree. My simple ear buds reduce outside sound by practically zero. My noise cancelling ear buds are pretty good but I doubt they reduce more than 20db.

Yeah, I'll definitly concede that riding with phones instead of plugs gives me a lot more wind noise and that ringing in my ears doesn't go away for days sometimes, but riding with tunes is so much better than without, I'll live with it.

I've tested riding with earplugs only and found they let in more noise. I also have a yoshi carbon fibre pipe and the thing is loud. I had ringing in my ears right after though it went away. I've going to see if I get ringing in my ears from the headphones, I can't remember getting ringing before though.

If I'm going for a short ride or 2 up I usually go without any hearing protection which I know is bad. If I want to listen to music I use in-ear head phones. If I don't, I wear ear plugs.

I've tested riding with earplugs only and found they let in more noise.

YOu haven't put them in correctly or you have lousy plugs.

You will notice the lower frequencies more as they are not as well damped but the overall noise level is lower.
It takes a couple of minutes for properly inserted foam plugs to seal - then the world goes away.

I know a lot of guys here advocate the UE and Ety models but has anyone used sanheisser or Klipsch their experiences? I see both sold in the apple store (and etys) but I want to physically see the headphones before buying?

Also has anyone tried doing the custom ear mold available with Ety?how much did it cost and is it worth it?

Last edited:
If it's sold in the Apple store it's decent quality .....and over priced.
Apple is out for profit period, not concerned with value for money for you.

I just ordered a pair of Shure S215s from earphone solutions and they have a 10% off code for canadian orders. Shipping is $6.95. Looking forward to these and I hope they are the last ones I buy. They have user replaceable cords and lie flush to the ear when they are in. I bought some foam tips too.

its the exact same price on amazon and ety's own site as well for the same type and brand...

i just sing to myself...my voice inside full face helmet is freakin' amazing! I know i shouldnt knock something without trying it but one of the aspects i love most about riding is that sweet sound of the motor on my litreSV

As much as I like some apple products, I have to disagree with you on this one. Have you listened to the earbuds that used to come with iPods or the b+w Zeppelin. Both are terribly disappointing. Apple is a design company and money making machine, they could care less about sound quality if it compromises one of these two core competencies.

I tried sennheiser earbuds (not iems) and for the money they were *****. Slightly better than ipod earbuds, but not much. I like their proper headphones, but was entirely unimpressed by the earbuds.

If you want reviews on probably every iem ever made check out headfi.org. There are a crapload of picky people there and if they come up with a rough consensus that something sounds good it's a miracle. Now sounding good to a bunch of audiophiles (many with headphone amps) and sounding good to you may not be the same thing.

What I commented on was third party offerings on the Apple store - not the horrid buds that come with the iPods.
Too many of their accessories ( mice, keyboards ) are all about look and not function or quality.

Apple loves companies like Ety who try control their pricing tho it rarely is the case.

[h=1]Etymotic HF3 Iphone Headset - Black[/h]
0.0 0 $94.99 - $179.00

Etymotic hf3 iPhone Headset - Black A no compromise, high-performance noise-isolating headset + earphones that delivers best-in-class benefits and superior value, perfectly matched to the latest product innovations from more ...

$179 on the Apple Store

http://store.apple.com/ca/product/H2360ZM/A
versus

[h=1]Etymotic ER23-HF3-BLACK HF3 In-Ear Headsetwith 3-Button Remote Control for iPod, iPhone, iPad (Black)[/h] by Etymotic Research

4.0 out of 5 stars See all reviews (74 customer reviews)

List Price:$179.00
Price:$101.74 & eligible for free shipping with Amazon Prime
You Save:$77.26 (43%)

that's a huge gap.

Do you guys have to push in the headphones every once in a while as they come loose ? That is soo annoying and not possible for me to slide my finger thru the cheekpads if I got gloves on.

Ah didnt think of checking amazon.COM...checked .CA and it was same price as apple store:

.ca pricing:
http://www.amazon.ca/Etymotic-HF3-S...ROIU/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1313996706&sr=8-7

vs. .com
http://www.amazon.com/Etymotic-ER23...ROIU/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1313996751&sr=8-4

so I guess ill just pay the customs charge for it since itll still be cheaper... if DHL doesnt gouge me on customs and duties that is. :S

What I commented on was third party offerings on the Apple store - not the horrid buds that come with the iPods.
Too many of their accessories ( mice, keyboards ) are all about look and not function or quality.

Apple loves companies like Ety who try control their pricing tho it rarely is the case.

$179 on the Apple Store

http://store.apple.com/ca/product/H2360ZM/A
versus

that's a huge gap.

Last edited:
You really want to get a US Mailbox and US credit card to take full advantage of Amazon.
Even books which are $8.99 or 9.99 plus tax here are $7.99 and no tax ( ebooks are best ).

Many places also won't ship without a US address. Lots of advantages for riders to have that US address.
Lewiston is real close ;)

Do you guys have to push in the headphones every once in a while as they come loose ? That is soo annoying and not possible for me to slide my finger thru the cheekpads if I got gloves on.

You might have the wrong size tips on but yah that happens - one reason I wear one of the Oxford super thin balaclavas
Keeps the phone ( and hair ) in place and makes getting helmet ( especially with comm gear ) easier to get on and off. 12 bucks or so. Silk is the nicest.

You really want to get a US Mailbox and US credit card to take full advantage of Amazon.
Even books which are $8.99 or 9.99 plus tax here are $7.99 and no tax ( ebooks are best ).

Many places also won't ship without a US address. Lots of advantages for riders to have that US address.
Lewiston is real close ;)

Agree. If you only buy something once in a while you however you can also check out these guys. One time fee ($10) for having your package delivered there and a lot of places don't charge delivery to a conUS address. I've used them a few times this year, not sure if that would have paid for a mailbox for the entire year or not but it's a legit service. But I've always paid with a CDN credit card.

Fed up with poorly fitting earbuds Interested in getting some custom made ones. Atone have some suggestions of where to start in the GTA or experience with these?

Back
Top Bottom