Earplugs, In-Ear Headphones or Other? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Earplugs, In-Ear Headphones or Other?

johnnycage

Which do you prefer for riding?

Personally I use In-Ear Headphones (Sony MDREX50LPB) but am now questioning if its good for my hearing. Ear plugs block the most noise but I really like having music for the road. There are some that get those motorcycle headsets with noise reduction and they still use ear plugs but the quality of the music is really low.

What do ride with and what are your thoughts on this topic?

All in ear headphones are passive noise isolators - so you get around 23-25 db reduction - so for that they are decent protection and you get high quality music.

Most ear plugs are 33 db which is too much for some. ( it's log so thats a LOT quieter ).

There is nothing wrong with using the in ear headphones - just watch how loud your music is - ambient noise can compress your hearing range and you may be playing louder than is good for you.

I use Ultimate Ear i5s but Etymotics are also very good and both know their hearing and noise suppression tech.

No in helmet speaker can give decent music as there is no seal with your ear which is required for music reproduction.

It's tinny by nature.

You see the big muffs on pro headphones - they both are ambient noise reducers ( around 26 db ) but most important give the seal around the ear for bass reproduction.
The in ear can get pretty close and the helmet provides a bit of the "can" that the pro phones have.

With the Mag 8 Bell I just got and the Ulimate ears, because I had to foam the Scala speakers in ( big shell on the Bell ) - I;m getting the best sound yet AND can hear the phone or a buddy...:D

I was planning to mod my helmet, there are spaces and the wind that gets in there forces my IEMs out. Really gets annoying puttin on and off the helmet.

I just wear earplugs for concentration now.

Grab a super thin Oxford balaclava ...the silk one works a charm.....acts as a helmet liner and keeps the IEMs n place - much easier to get the helmet on and off as well.

I used to use a cheap set of skullcandy headphones, but after getting a hell of a deal on a set of Ultimate Ears 700 that's all I use. The Comply Foam tips are ridiculously comfortable, sometimes I'll put them in and not even plug them into my phone. Downside with foam tips is that they will get gunked up with earwax over time. it's about $20-$30 for a new pack of 5 pairs of tips on eBay.

I'm with you and finally gave up on the foam and live with the soft clear tips that are at least easy to clean.
There are directions for turning foam ear plugs into tips and it does work....sound was really good but tricky to keep on the tips on

The thin balaclava works a treat to keep them in place.- whatever you use.

Amazon has great deals on UE and Etymotics. I get the UEs with the microphone and the on off switch - don't use the mic but the on off/skip switch is great - just hangs out of the jacket for easy use and lets me skip tracks or turn it off when the phone rings.

hfJt.jpg
little button

press for on and off
press twice quickly to skip the song

All in ear headphones are passive noise isolators - so you get around 23-25 db reduction - so for that they are decent protection and you get high quality music.

Most ear plugs are 33 db which is too much for some. ( it's log so thats a LOT quieter ).

There is nothing wrong with using the in ear headphones - just watch how loud your music is - ambient noise can compress your hearing range and you may be playing louder than is good for you.

I use Ultimate Ear i5s but Etymotics are also very good and both know their hearing and noise suppression tech.

No in helmet speaker can give decent music as there is no seal with your ear which is required for music reproduction.

It's tinny by nature.

You see the big muffs on pro headphones - they both are ambient noise reducers ( around 26 db ) but most important give the seal around the ear for bass reproduction.
The in ear can get pretty close and the helmet provides a bit of the "can" that the pro phones have.

With the Mag 8 Bell I just got and the Ulimate ears, because I had to foam the Scala speakers in ( big shell on the Bell ) - I;m getting the best sound yet AND can hear the phone or a buddy...:D

You modded your lid? Are these the buds you got http://ultimateears.com/en-us/products/500 ? or these http://www.amazon.ca/Logitech-Ultim...CRIY/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1313606905&sr=8-4 ?

Last edited:
I'm with you and finally gave up on the foam and live with the soft clear tips that are at least easy to clean.
There are directions for turning foam ear plugs into tips and it does work....sound was really good but tricky to keep on the tips on

The thin balaclava works a treat to keep them in place.- whatever you use.

Amazon has great deals on UE and Etymotics. I get the UEs with the microphone and the on off switch - don't use the mic but the on off/skip switch is great - just hangs out of the jacket for easy use and lets me skip tracks or turn it off when the phone rings.

hfJt.jpg
little button

press for on and off
press twice quickly to skip the song

my skullcandys had the button, and I could never find the thing to click it.

ended up buying one of these from ebay

fuYWr.png

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...eName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

mounted the remote to the handlebars with some velcro and a bracket i whipped up, and the receiver stays in my jacket when not in use. nice thing is that it has a pass-thru dock connector so I can charge it while using it for GPS with my ram mount.

I love GTAM. I was just Googling about this, and I came on here and saw this thread. I'll check out the recommendations of those in here.

Music is an absolute MUST for me while riding, and I just picked up a pair of Etymotic MC3s. The sound is decent (but by no means mind-blowing, it's still under $100) and I've found that I get the best wind-noise isolation when using the foam eartips. I've only been using them so far while wearing my beanie, so I can't comment on how well they fit under a FF...

I have Shure SE530's. They sound decent, but I expected so much more. The don't stick out so fit isn't a problem. Their customer service is great (I crushed a pair in a door and they gave me a fantastic deal on a new set). They also have an inline kit available (for ~$50) with a mic so you can listen to the world around you without removing the plugs, a great feature to have when wearing a helmet.

For music Etymotic ER6i's are amazing for the money, but haven't tried them in a helmet, I think they may stick out too much.

Personally I don't like listening to music when riding (completely out of touch with what's around me) and wear earplugs, but to each their own.

Helmet speakers plus earplugs, great for all day comfort. Sure, the sound quality my be better with earbuds, but nothing is more comfortable IMO

I actually got these with the thought of using them on the bike. And although I have a few times I find it still lets in too much road noise. I also have my iPhone sitting on a RAM mount on the handlebar and it's not exactly convenient to have these earphones plugged into it. I much prefer to use my nano and just keep it in my pocket, but of course then I can't change the tunes while riding.

My go to set up is just some simple foam earplugs I got at Walmart which are about 32db, which is perfect for what I like. I also have a Autocom unit set up on the bike, lets my wife and I talk while out on the road, also have my iPhone plugged into it allowing me to listen to my tunes and the GPS app on the phone. When the plugs don't expand anymore, I simply toss them and grab a new pair. If I lose them while out on a trip, I usually have a few pairs on the bike and if all else fails, find the nearest wally world and I'm back in service. I find this is the quietest method that allows me to hear things around me perfectly.

MacDog, where'd you get those dB ratings from? I use these earplugs, and they're rated for 29 dB noise reduction. I also have a pair of Skullcandy in-ear headphones (at-home use); and they definitely do not seem to come close to the noise reduction that the earplugs provide. (However, I can't say for certain since I've never warn my headphones while riding...).

Anyway, I would probably err on the side caution and use earplugs instead of headphones if protection is what you're after.

Personally I don't like listening to music when riding (completely out of touch with what's around me) and wear earplugs, but to each their own.

I hear that. But I adapted.

Once upon a time I started to ride with earplugs. It was so quiet, I found myself surprised to check my shoulder only to find cars right there (couldn't hear them). But I became more careful, and now am quite adept at riding with plugs.

As for headphones, I only recently got an iPhone, and transferred my music collection to it right before going on a road trip to Thunder Bay. I grabbed a pair of inner ear buds that I got at an airport for 15$, and was amazed at what I've been missing. I love music, and love riding/driving; so I think there is no going back to riding without music for me.

However, same thing happened as before: Found myself in a couple close calls on that Tbay trip; too distracted by tunes. But that was 3 weeks ago and I've adapted and am just as safe as before now. Though; I want to upgrade my phones, and will check out the recomendations listed above. Thanks for those.

I just got this:

http://accessories.dell.com/sna/pro...noteSearch&baynote_bnrank=10&baynote_irrank=0

Which is a bluetooth adapter for any earphones so I can run the cord up my sleeve for the phones and clip that doohicky on to my gauntlet so I can change tracks and volume. There's also a mic on the adapter so you can take/make calls. You could feasibly rig it so the mic is inside your helmet I guess.

Now I'm also waiting for a good deal on some Shure 215s as they fit close to the ear, have good isolation (from reviews) and more importantly to me, they have exchangeable/replaceable cords going into the earpieces. That's always the first thing to break on my usual earphones. I'm looking for the best seal in the ear canal possible so I'll probably play with quite a few different tips to see what works.

Another tip...instead of a balaclava, go into a hiking store and buy a buff. I use them as both helmet liners and on hot days soak them in water and put one around my neck to cool the carotid area and lessen the chances of heat stroke.

MacDog, where'd you get those dB ratings from? I use these earplugs, and they're rated for 29 dB noise reduction. I also have a pair of Skullcandy in-ear headphones (at-home use); and they definitely do not seem to come close to the noise reduction that the earplugs provide. (However, I can't say for certain since I've never warn my headphones while riding...).

Anyway, I would probably err on the side caution and use earplugs instead of headphones if protection is what you're after.

I agree. My simple ear buds reduce outside sound by practically zero. My noise cancelling ear buds are pretty good but I doubt they reduce more than 20db.

It's MacDoc :rolleyes: y'know like the Apple gear tho I'm sure the woman I passed on 9th line yesterday thought the mad dog moniker more appropriate - do love that power button :D

Ultimate Ears and Etymotic

These guys make gear for touring musicians so they can hear their music over the ambient of the crowd and speakers - they know what they are doing. Ety came entirely out of hearing aid design so their knowledge of acoustics is solid.

The range of noise reduction will vary with the material of the tips and the frequency of the sounds.
The denser the foam the higher the noise reduction up to just below dense ear plugs.
Silicone tips reduce less and multiple seals on the Etymotic provide additional suppression even with silcone if you are willing to pay for it.

Ear buds are NOT in ear headphones and do almost nothing for suppression as you already experienced.

The suppression is also not linear - with the low end reduction less than high frequency. The helmet it self suppresses some frequencies and amplifies others so getting the correct mix for you, your helmet and your machine ( windshield or not etc ) is tricky.
But starting with a nominal 26 db is a big help. 33 db ear plug I find suppress too much.
The UE with foam are terrific but the foam wears out and is expensive.
The UE with silicone has less suppression but does not wear out and is good for my Mag 8 Helmet and the dead air pocket behind the windscreen - I never thought I get so good use of an adjustable windscreen but it really helps.

Ultimate Ears TripleFi 10 Noise Isolating Earphones .... 26 dB,

[h=2]Technical Details[/h] Color: Black

• Dual Drivers for wide frequency response (20 to 16,000 HZ) and efficient performance
  • Professional Quality Sound
  • Noise Isolating Design attenuates outside noise by an amazing 26db
  • Comfortable and Secure Ear Loops
  • Includes Universal Fit kit and a protective metallic travel case to store earphones

There are no cheap answers - but I've seen UE i5 as low as $79 and there is no comparison with cheaper knockoffs.
They take reasonable abuse as well.

••••

err on the side of caution on sound suppression - wear an open face then and START with a 5 db advantage.

There are dozens of ways to get the sound level you want and all within safe levels.
Your ears themselves protect you and as you reduce ambient their dynamic range opens up letting you hear louder and softer sounds.

If you suppress to almost silent your ears will maximize their range and then a very loud noise may be MORE damaging than in a lesser suppression environment where your ears are clamped down in their response already.
This is a complex topic and even the top motorcycle magazines have to use a subjective opinion on noise levels on helmets.

BUT if you want good music and more than adequate suppression then UE or Etymotic and few others will give you that for a price.

Last edited:
Get some Comply tips for your earphones, much better noise isolation. I use the long Comply tips with Etyomotic Er6i earphones, no difference from the 33db orange earplugs.

Music might be a distraction but try riding a thousand plus km day without any music, I find it much safer with music.

Back
Top Bottom