Deals Gap / Smoky Mountains 2024 | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Deals Gap / Smoky Mountains 2024

toy-boy-netflix.png

Rides a naked bike too... hmm....

Hey, you're the one who wished Shane a safe stripping... Everyone can see you edited your post...
By the looks of it, he may get rained out for a day or two, so he needs to kill time somehow......and might as well make back some gas money......

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: KoN
By the looks of it, he may get rained out for a day or so so he needs to kill time somehow......and might as well make back some gas money......
I did do a pilates class today, so my abs are on fiyah!
And I'll do almost anything for gas money.

A lot of Western North Carolina is totally screwed right now.
Some areas have no functioning 911, no cell services, no potable water, running out of food, fuel and some areas are only accessible by helicopter.

Just wow.

1727548888489.png

1727548945913.png

1727549000584.png

1727549078661.png

1727549157614.png

1727549274203.png

How does this affect your plans?

How does this affect your plans?
I'm not sure yet, but we are changing them for sure.

I'm not a fan of traveling by bike into an area that's been hard hit like this. It would be different if I was already down there, but being up here, I can easily go somehwere else so they can recover without added tourists.

But if the Virginia's are ok to ride, which right now it seems they will be next week, then that might be where we go. Also looks like Knoxville TN wasn't hit hard by the storm, so the areas to the north of the Smoky's might be fine to ride. But definitely Asheville, Maggie Valley and Chimney Rock are destroyed and we were going to be riding a fair bit in those areas.

North Carolina DOT is asking everyone to stay away from roads in Western North Carolina right now, and to expect that they are all closed. Some folks in Robbinsville said it's fine down there and so is Deals Gap, but areas just outside (to the east) got destroyed.

I'd also be fine to just head east and go check out Gaspe. Never been and it will be between 9-15deg each day, so that's totally doable for a week.

edt: looks like Deals Gap area is fine and everything on the west and south of it, including North GA mountains are ok.

Last edited:
The area's been hit that hard at least twice in the last 20 years.

But I'm probably abandoning the area, sadly, after all that time. The number of high horsepower cars on that road taking chances with their lives and those around them have vastly increased. And while it seems like "Max Wrist" has been ostracised by the area, guys like him have increased in the area and are riding over their heads for Internet clicks.

It's sad, though to be honest it was worse in 2007 or so with all the police and the massive amount of tourists even in May. I've stuck it out a long time, but I don't know that it's worth it anymore. Sure there are great roads all around the area but I've ridden them all many times. I'm thinking of Vermont now.

Back
Top Bottom