Deals Gap / Smoky Mountains 2024 | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Deals Gap / Smoky Mountains 2024

Curious, if you leave early and haul ass, you can probably get halfway through PA in one day on backroads right?

And I wonder if its possible to get to deals gap in 3 days of riding? do-able?

I feel like last trip I was being fairly conservative in terms of riding hours (leaving late and stopping early)
Even sooner. Squeeze and I left and did 800KM first day. By noon on the second day we're at DG. (slabbin though - no back roads)
So many great roads down there.......

Well looks like Gaspe will have to wait another year, cuz I'm going back to the Smoky's in early August.
Will be my first time there riding anything but a V-Strom.
3 days down, 3 days there and 3 days home, while riding with a buddy who's never been down there before.
I got some crazy routes planned joining up all my favourite twisties from the previous trips.
I can't wait.
1716413122090.png

Hey Shane,
My wife and I are heading down in a week or so for 10 days. We had planned on Colorado this year, but due to illness in the family we decided to stay closer to home. We will no doubt be stealing some of your routes lol. Going to do back of the dragon again on the way down.
Safe travels!
Steve

Anyone going this year?

I'd also like to find a different place to stay down there just to change it up a bit. I'll be out all day riding anyways, so don't need fancy digs, but looking for motels or cabins with a comfy bed and wifi. Any recommendations for places to stay on a reasonable budget and not too far from Robbinsville?

Maybe go in July or August (if I don't go to Gaspe) and and ride there/back using twisty secondary roads.
Or do a fall colours trip in October, but either way, take 3-4 days to get down, ride around for 2-3 days and take 3-4 days to get home.

Maybe go down through the Virginia's and then come back through Kentucky and Ohio.

I need me some of this:
IMG_1801-4K.jpg

and this:
IMG_1986-4K.jpg
Check out Seasons Inn. Blairsville GA.
I have stayed there maybe 8 times now.
Not a resort but clean and close to all the roads you want. The Dragon is a **** show so skip it as there are so many others to ride. I was there for 5 days of riding and went 1400 kms. Remember there are some corners that have 15 mph limits for a reason. Owners live on site and are bike friendly. A trailer can be parked out back. However they will not tolerate ******** so don't like one and you will be more than welcomed. Step over the line and you will be gone.
Have fun and be respectful.

But never really considered Maggie Valley. I did stay in Cherokee one year, which is nearby and I really liked the area.
Don't forget the motorcycle museum. Over more than 15 years, I knew Dale and visited him at least once a year. Fun fact, the first time I met Dale I was in an arm sling but he knew I was a motorcycle guy (I'd crashed in the rain the day before) so he asked me to help him move an old 1940s Harley military armament sidecar he had found out of his tractor trailer, despite the fact that I was limping and in pain ... because he knew that I'd help him. Then I got to look at that sidecar for years now with old engines on the sidecar etc. it was somewhere between on display and helping out with moving things into the museum.

Miss the guy. RIP Dale. 20210531121057-d30e2fe3-me.jpg

Hey Shane,
My wife and I are heading down in a week or so for 10 days. We had planned on Colorado this year, but due to illness in the family we decided to stay closer to home. We will no doubt be stealing some of your routes lol. Going to do back of the dragon again on the way down.
Safe travels!
Steve
Hey Steve!
Glad you are making your way back down there. If you ever want gpx files I can give you all my routes to pick and choose anything that you might be interested in.
Hope you have an awesome trip too!

Check out Seasons Inn. Blairsville GA.
I have stayed there maybe 8 times now.
Not a resort but clean and close to all the roads you want. The Dragon is a **** show so skip it as there are so many others to ride. I was there for 5 days of riding and went 1400 kms. Remember there are some corners that have 15 mph limits for a reason. Owners live on site and are bike friendly. A trailer can be parked out back. However they will not tolerate ******** so don't like one and you will be more than welcomed. Step over the line and you will be gone.
Have fun and be respectful.
Thanks - I’ve never stayed in northern Georgia, but really should one of these days. To keep it simple we decided to try out Fontana Village and are staying there for 4 nights.

Despite whatever crazy stuff happens on the dragon, I love it and will ride it again and again when I’m down there as well as all the other good stuff. Looking forward to the fresh pavement!

Don't forget the motorcycle museum. Over more than 15 years, I knew Dale and visited him at least once a year. Fun fact, the first time I met Dale I was in an arm sling but he knew I was a motorcycle guy (I'd crashed in the rain the day before) so he asked me to help him move an old 1940s Harley military armament sidecar he had found out of his tractor trailer, despite the fact that I was limping and in pain ... because he knew that I'd help him. Then I got to look at that sidecar for years now with old engines on the sidecar etc. it was somewhere between on display and helping out with moving things into the museum.

Miss the guy. RIP Dale. View attachment 68299
I’ve been meaning to go there every time I’m down there and never end up going because I’m out riding too much. Hopefully this trip I finally do.

That was a nice story about him!

I’ve been meaning to go there every time I’m down there and never end up going because I’m out riding too much. Hopefully this trip I finally do.

That was a nice story about him!
His son is running the place now. Entry is free but they do ask for donations.

Back
Top Bottom