Cyclists need your input: Giant vs Raleigh | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Cyclists need your input: Giant vs Raleigh

Keep in mind, what would 80% of the riding cover ? Paved road or Off road ? Also buying a lighter frame bike will help as well.
Good luck.

ps: Raleighs has been in the cycle business longer & know what they making & selling.

@KreativeKreature we have Giant ATX mountain bikes and stick to mostly paved trails with the odd gravel trail here and there...

I was reading on a Hyundai Elantra GT forum that it should fit in the hatchback with the rear seats folded down, so I'll have to try that first...

We have a hitch carrier already for hubby's truck, I was just looking for something easy for me to use if I want to go somewhere without him...

ps: Raleighs has been in the cycle business longer & know what they making & selling.

Raleigh stopped making bicycles 40 years ago. At least what I call bicycles, anyway. They lost the plot after the 531 Team Professional.

63f42decd158a6924bc88ed9a2e655c5.jpg

For carrying the bikes.... I have done it many different ways over the years. Bike weights are also a big concern. Keep the heaviest closest to the vehicle on anything the has leverage. Also think about security and theft of not only the bikes but the mounts...

In the car is fine as long as you are not taking multiple bikes, one bike typically np. Even when careful laying on on top of the other on their sides usually results in at least scratches if not things like broken spokes bent hangers.... Yes people do it, but if more than one bike I do not typically recommend it.

Roof racks, I like these but there are downsides. As noted in the thread driving into the garage or even a drive through, oops! Heavy bikes are a real PITA. Bikes can get hit with debris on the highway damaging them, specially things like bare MTB fork stanchions. Most people leave the racks on so there are aero costs to gas mileage even when not carrying the bikes. I still prefer it and I take steps to protect the bikes and the bikes are light enough.

Hitch mount, if the vehicle can have a heavy enough hitch (receiver) class mounted this is a great option. Good ones are easy to install and remove when needed. Bikes are out back, less damage from road debris. Bungy wheels so they are not spinning.... Bikes are better spaced than hatch/trunk options.

Hatch/Trunk mount. Cheap and easy to take on and off but every one I have ever used damaged the car paint finish over time, no biggie on a beater, sucks on a pride and joy vehicle (rack and/or bikes rub). They also typically mount the bikes too close together to save the leverage. The closeness tends to scratch up the bikes. Bungy wheels....

For SUVs/Jeeps, spare tire mount. Be careful, on my Jeep it bent the hatch. That was with some fairly light bikes. Big bump on highway there is a lot of energy/leverage in the bounce... for all leverage styles but this was the only case it did this type of damage for me.

Pickup bed mounts (if you have a pickup) can be great just depends on the style and what else the bed gets used for. Sort of the benefits of the roof rack with almost none of the downsides....if you have a pickup.

Anything rear mounted, it is rare but people do get tickets from time to time for blocking the plate....

On my car we are doing two on the roof and two on the trunk mount... for the family of four.

Last edited:
Wonder if there is a stat for how many garage doors , bike frames , drive through canopies get crashed every year .
Partners wife took a one day old Suburban with a dealer installed Yakima space case most of the way into the garage at home ….

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

Wonder if there is a stat for how many garage doors , bike frames , drive through canopies get crashed every year .
Partners wife took a one day old Suburban with a dealer installed Yakima space case most of the way into the garage at home ….

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com
Could be 0.5% of the time or less...but it only needs to happen one time.

@backmarkerducati
re:
Hitch mount, if the vehicle can have a heavy enough hitch (receiver) class mounted this is a great option. Good ones are easy to install and remove when needed. Bikes are out back, less damage from road debris. Bungy wheels so they are not spinning.... Bikes are better spaced than hatch/trunk options.
There are hitch mounts that have "trays" so your bike is sitting on a tray, safe, with nothing spinning and the bikes are "cranked down". I got one similar to that one myself and it's awesome, everything feels so secure and i don't have to worry in the back of my head for my carbon frame getting damaged from a big bump on the road if it were held by the top tube.

There are hitch mounts that have "trays" so your bike is sitting on a tray, safe, with nothing spinning and the bikes are "cranked down". I got one similar to that one myself and it's awesome, everything feels so secure and i don't have to worry in the back of my head for my carbon frame getting damaged from a big bump on the road if it were held by the top tube.
Yes, I have just never used that option (covered what I tried over the years...). It is pricey but almost the best of all worlds. Still goes back to the vehicle having the appropriate class receiver available....

Back
Top Bottom