Cyclists need your input: Giant vs Raleigh | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Cyclists need your input: Giant vs Raleigh

Suspension on a bike used for down hill racing is a good idea, on any other bike it is a gimmick... a gimmick that costs effort, weighs a ton, adds cost and complexity and has NO real advantage or gain.

That's not really true. There's trails in Hilton Falls I'll ride and have fun on with one of my rigid bikes. There's trails in Hilton Falls I don't find any pleasure in riding without a hardtail, at a minimum. Terrain dictates equipment.

Last edited:
That's not really true. There's trails in Hilton Falls I'll ride and have fun on with one of my rigid bikes. There's trails in Hilton Falls I don't find any pleasure in riding without a hardtail, at a minimum. Terrain dictates equipment.
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say I bet your bicycle suspension THAT WORKS cost more than $450, just for the forks
OP is looking at $450 bikes, where the suspension is a gimmick

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say I bet your bicycle suspension THAT WORKS cost more than $450, just for the forks
OP is looking at $450 bikes, where the suspension is a gimmick

Maybe you shouldn't have put this in there, then.
Suspension on a bike used for down hill racing is a good idea, on any other bike it is a gimmick

OK I'll fix that for you.
IN MY OPINION Suspension on a bike used for down hill racing is a good idea, on any other bike it is a gimmick
It seems, IN YOUR OPINION, they are not.

IN MY OPINION u/FullMetalJacket would be better off using his legs for suspension, by getting his butt off the seat while riding on uneven surfaces, thereby lowering his center of gravity on the bike making it easier to handle, minimizing effort loss to the springs and improving traction
...but hey, that's just my opinion man.

IN MY OPINION u/FullMetalJacket would be better off using his legs for suspension, by getting his butt off the seat while riding on uneven surfaces, thereby lowering his center of gravity on the bike making it easier to handle, minimizing effort loss to the springs and improving traction
...but hey, that's just my opinion man.

Maybe you can teach me this odd technique you speak of.

Hardtail at most for Ontario unless blue mountain.

And i'd get the Giant bike.

another option: Salsa
I bought a Salsa gravel bike a year ago
very happy with it, nice and light, good hardware all around
and unless you plan to ride down the side of mountains
forget the suspension, just get a comfortable saddle

Pickings are slim unless you want to spend closer to and upwards of $1,000 which I (we) definitely don't want to do...I'll stick with hubby's choice on the Giants...should be ready for pick up this coming week...haven't been on a bicycle in decades, so this will be very different...😎

GIANT is a Taiwanese company, not Chinese
I am under the impression that most of those mid cost bikes are all made by the same Chinese company, Giant Bicycle.
So the frames were probably made in the same factory, so compare components (there is a big difference), if the components are the same, buy the cheaper one.
You don't want suspension.

Sent from my Pixel using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

Pickings are slim unless you want to spend closer to and upwards of $1,000 which I (we) definitely don't want to do...I'll stick with hubby's choice on the Giants...should be ready for pick up this coming week...haven't been on a bicycle in decades, so this will be very different...😎
Get helmets. Comfortable helmets are now affordable. Too easy to do the watermelon thing.

@GreyGhost we have helmets dated 2010 and I want new ones, while hubby thinks those will be fine...smh

I measured my head and I'm 53cm, which seems to be an odd size...I'm finding youth helmets from 50-54 cm and adult helmets that start at 54 cm...seeing as I'm 53 cm, I'm guessing it's best to stick with a youth helmet...

Also, I've seen helmets with MIPS...is it worth it?

Any good places to look for one (the place he bought the bikes at doesn't have a big selection in my size)?

I measured my head and I'm 53cm, which seems to be an odd size...I'm finding youth helmets from 50-54 cm and adult helmets that start at 54 cm...seeing as I'm 53 cm, I'm guessing it's best to stick with a youth helmet...
The "correct size" is useless if the shell shape is wrong for your head. The only way is to try them on.
Also, I've seen helmets with MIPS...is it worth it?
Yes. Any suspension system is better. Most companies offer some kind of acronym'd system that is a workaround of Bell's patent now.
Any good places to look for one (the place he bought the bikes at doesn't have a big selection in my size)?
Try Matt at Spokes 'n Slopes. If his stock is low Brant Cycle in Burlington or Freewheel Cycle in Dundas should have decent stock.

The "correct size" is useless if the shell shape is wrong for your head. The only way is to try them on.

Yes. Any suspension system is better. Most companies offer some kind of acronym'd system that is a workaround of Bell's patent now.

Try Matt at Spokes 'n Slopes. If his stock is low Brant Cycle in Burlington or Freewheel Cycle in Dundas should have decent stock.
Agree on fit. Even more important than a motorcycle lid as there is so little padding
Wrong shape is punishing. The last time I bought a helmet, I tried on the one I wanted on paper but immediately crossed it off the list.

2010 helmet is getting old but I suspect you will have low distance and low chance of smacking your head. If you can find a new one that fits your head and budget great but if not, I would wear the one you have.

My wife is currently using my first good helmet that I retired long ago (specialized air piranha). No easy way to go shopping during covid. She will go into a store soon and find one that fits.

So, reviving this thread as I have another question.

I'm looking for a bike carrier for my hatchback.

I've found this on Amazon Deluxe Trunk Bike Rack and contacted the company (in the US) and they confirmed that it would fit my car...it's $84 CDN.

I've also found this on Amazon Class 1 Trailer Hitch, 1-1/4" Receiver, Select Hyundai Elantra GT and it's $247 plus installation ($65 at Hyundai or we tackle it ourselves).

We have a hitch type bike carrier for hubby's truck, however, I'm looking for something for my car in case I ever want to take my bike somewhere to ride without it.

We also looked at the roof top type, however, I wouldn't be able to load it on my own.

How bad are those truck style contraptions? The Allen Sports one has a 4.3 star rating with over 25,000 reviews, so technically, it shouldn't be that bad?

So, reviving this thread as I have another question.

I'm looking for a bike carrier for my hatchback.

I've found this on Amazon Deluxe Trunk Bike Rack and contacted the company (in the US) and they confirmed that it would fit my car...it's $84 CDN.

I've also found this on Amazon Class 1 Trailer Hitch, 1-1/4" Receiver, Select Hyundai Elantra GT and it's $247 plus installation ($65 at Hyundai or we tackle it ourselves).

We have a hitch type bike carrier for hubby's truck, however, I'm looking for something for my car in case I ever want to take my bike somewhere to ride without it.

We also looked at the roof top type, however, I wouldn't be able to load it on my own.

How bad are those truck style contraptions? The Allen Sports one has a 4.3 star rating with over 25,000 reviews, so technically, it shouldn't be that bad?
I've never used one of those strap on contraptions. Seem dodgy to me and I don't have cheap bikes. Not worth the risk. I have used roof and hitch racks. I prefer the hitch rack for many reasons ( don't smash bikes on a garage, doesn't destroy fuel mileage, easy to load when you are tired, doesn't care about the size of tires installed or QR system, etc).

If hyundai will install for $65, it must be the simplest installation ever. You can normally find uhaul class 2 hitches on sale for ~$100-150 and past ones I have installed were done in 30 minutes in the driveway. The current one requires me to remove the bumper which is a pain but there is no way that is required on your car with the quoted rate.

Last edited:
I've never used one of those strap on contraptions. Seem dodgy to me and I don't have cheap bikes. Not worth the risk. I have used roof and hitch racks. I prefer the hitch rack for many reasons ( don't smash bikes on a garage, doesn't destroy fuel mileage, easy to load when you are tired, doesn't care about the size of tires installed or QR system, etc).

If hyundai will install for $65, it must be the simplest installation ever. You can normally find uhaul class 2 hitches on sale for ~$100-150 and past ones I have installed were done in 30 minutes in the driveway. The current one requires me to remove the bumper which is a pain but there is no way that is required on your car with the quoted rate.
I have used the trunk mounted carrier for years with no problems at all....and you can sell it for what you paid for it almost any time.....having said that if you use it enough the hitch is nicer and easier to deal with.

I would go hitch over roof every time . But if your travelling and need into the trunk or hatch it’s a consideration. I don’t like the trunk mounts , they can mess up paint .

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

I have used the trunk mounted carrier for years with no problems at all....and you can sell it for what you paid for it almost any time.....having said that if you use it enough the hitch is nicer and easier to deal with.
Same. Have used one for many years and now it's collecting dust in the shed.

@ifiddles it's yours if you want it but you'll need to come to Mississauga for it. I'll just check in the shed that the mice/squirrels didn't touch the strapping.

Never had an issue with it on 3 different cars we used it on. Now we have hitches on both cars (1-1/4" on the Volt and 2" on the Odyssey).

So trunk mounted can work great, just gotta be careful because you will most likely mar (could even scratch) the paint of your car, if you don't care about that its the cheapest and easiest option.

Roof one is nice because once you have the "top of the roof" crossbars and systems, its so versatile.
If you have to get into any garage of any kind though, i would stay away from it, just 3 weeks ago, this guy from my triathlon group had a moment of distraction and destroyed his bike. I know you already mentioned its too high but there, you have another reason lol.

Hitch mount works great even though its also a bit pricey. Bikes will get dirty(er) if its wet.

Back
Top Bottom