COVID and the housing market | Page 9 | GTAMotorcycle.com

COVID and the housing market

I think stairs like that, same as all good craftsmanship will always be in style.
Those stairs and the rest of that house with the carvings and the corbels and the rest are just not being done right now. That dark heavy look just isn't what being installed in high end homes at present. 20 years ago corbels in kitchens with carvings of grape vines were very popular along with glazed finishes (made to look old). Not now at all. At present whats "in" is clean lines, recessed panels without mouldings and thankfully no raised panels. I haven't done a job with raised panels in about 15 years. Flat cut red oak was all the rage 30 years ago. Never see it now. 25 years ago you couldn't give walnut away but now it's really hot as well as rift white oak . So while craftsmanship is always in style, whats popular in design changes.

Those stairs and the rest of that house with the carvings and the corbels and the rest are just not being done right now. That dark heavy look just isn't what being installed in high end homes at present. 20 years ago corbels in kitchens with carvings of grape vines were very popular along with glazed finishes (made to look old). Not now at all. At present whats "in" is clean lines, recessed panels without mouldings and thankfully no raised panels. I haven't done a job with raised panels in about 15 years. Flat cut red oak was all the rage 30 years ago. Never see it now. 25 years ago you couldn't give walnut away but now it's really hot as well as rift white oak . So while craftsmanship is always in style, whats popular in design changes.

I understand but it hurts to tear out quality material and replace it with MDF and plastic. The antique furniture market is in shambles unless it's a genuine Duncan Fife table with provenance. A 150 year old dining room table that will last another 150 years isn't worth the lumber that's in it. An IKEA flat pack table with a very limited life expectancy goes for more.

Some of the blame can go to the small condo market. Put in dark furniture and the place will look it's true size.

Honestly, I like a simple efficient design and would never do the relief carving but it seems like sacrilege to destroy the work of those that came before us. Then we complain that there are no good tradesmen left.

True that a lot of the ornamentation was to show off that the owner had money. He could throw thousands of hours of wages into what was in essence vintage bling.

Where do you draw the line? Many religions consider ornamentation a form of vanity and achieve beauty through shape and proportion.

The fake English mansion craze does nothing for me. I worked on one north of Markham and while it looked sturdy and stone outside the interior was MDF, particle board, mismatched paneling and cheap bling.

I've always considered a house as a permanent item, lasting centuries. I wonder how long the present run of townhouses will last. I suppose at some point as they deteriorate the land value will justify the demolition and rebuild.

So we're kind of looking at houses right now(first time buyers) and just to give you an idea how crazy it is,
we saw a house yesterday, the agent told me people dont even want to look at the houses, they just call and try to place offers, she said she doesnt like this...I presume its because:

1. The RE market is so hot, that often by the time you schedule an appointment, drive over to look at, its already sold
2. You would think that people would want to look at the house they are buying and/or planning to live in(not always the case, investment, speculation, money laundering etc) but the market is so crazy, that even if its a complete and utter dump, people will still buy it because it'll appreciate spectacularly regardless of the condition its in.
3. The buyers know it'll be a bidding war, either the agents underprice to start an auction or they just know a bunch of buyers are interested, so why spend the money and effort to drive over and look at the house?(especially during the covid era)
4. I assume the agents dont like this because it shows how utterly redundant they are to the whole process...you can google to find the house, and if you dont have show up and open the door for people to view the house, its kind of hard to justify your cut.

This applies to southern ontario, anything north of barrie isnt like this.

Good luck to the young dudes out here trying to buy their first homes (LOL)

Last edited:
I assume the agents dont like this because it shows how utterly redundant their are to the whole process...you can google to find the house, and if you dont have show up and open the door for people to view the house, its kind of hard to justify your cut.
The advent of the internet should have made their ancient business model, history. The average sale in the GTA is approaching $1m I think. Giving $50K to agents and brokerages is laughable. They arent surgeons, the barrier to entry is a joke exam that my 10 year old self could have passed.

I know someone who recently purchased a commercial unit for several $m. I do not know what the agent took home but 1% would be more than the median yearly salary. A years salary for the equivalent of a weeks work.

We sold our home in 2012 without a real estate agent. The commission that we saved allowed us to travel around the world for over a year.

As mentioned before, the information and tools are out there to do almost all of the job that an agent does, despite the real estate industry's best efforts to suppress them and retain their monopoly.

*HOWEVER* I don't think the profession will ever go away. There are several value-adds that an agent brings to the table that the DIY market may lack.

We are currently hanging out in the BC Interior in a town that is a tourism and retirement destination. It's the fastest growing market in BC, outpacing even Vancouver and Victoria.

Our friends here are the typical Okanagan specuvestors. They tell me that it's difficult negotiating real estate sale prices here without a realtor because some owners are too emotionally invested in their property. It's where they grew up, raised kids, etc. DIY sellers not only over-value their property, but become deeply offended at any negotiating below asking value. Fine if it's a large city - you just move on. But in a small town, if you tell Bill and Sally their house is overpriced by 20% and they get p!ssed off, it's going to be an uncomfortable situation when you regularly run into them at the supermarket or at the Y every month.

Also, some buyers and sellers have terrible social skills. And wheeling and dealing is, and has always been, foremost a people-person profession. Maybe in a hot market, you more apt to overlook or work around a boorish client or owner, who is either overly demanding or entirely unavailable, is insulting or condescending and has unrealistic expectations. But in a more competitive environment, buyers and sellers are going to prefer to work with people who are prompt, professional, courteous, diplomatic and un-emotional.

Some people are just not meant to interface with other people. These people *need* to have a real estate agent represent them to realize the full sale value of their property.

It's like the Financial Services market, where you've got both full-service vs self-directed brokerages. The investment tools and information are out there for everyone to access, but there are some folks who either don't have the aptitude or interest to manage their own money. Doctors are infamous for having high incomes but poor financial management skills. Also, this latest Meme Stock debacle will have some younger folks questioning their Stonk-picking prowess. And rightly so.

DIY investing has exploded over the last couple of decades and full-service industry has shrunk (or I should say, refocused on a smaller pool of wealthier clients). I see the same thing happening with Real Estate. I think the DIY RE will become more mainstream, but there will always be a more full or partial-service oriented model to cater with those with neither the time, attitude and/or skills required to wheel and deal real estate.

But with commensurate pricing that falls well below the current 5% commission model.

Last edited:
Not quite. Collingwood has been crazy for the last 2 years and even worse now
Collingwood is insane right now for pricing and real estate. I remember an Article recently how a couple was crying because their 3-4 properties near Blue were sitting empty due to the pandemic. They were looking for sympathy for losing out on 6+k/month in rental income. Zero sympathy from me. Invest in real estate and sometimes you get burned.

Collingwood is insane right now for pricing and real estate. I remember an Article recently how a couple was crying because their 3-4 properties near Blue were sitting empty due to the pandemic. They were looking for sympathy for losing out on 6+k/month in rental income. Zero sympathy from me. Invest in real estate and sometimes you get burned.

Its like a Lamborghini owner complaining about his maintenance costs

LoL true @bigpoppa zero sympathy in either case from me.

Frak I wish I had 4 properties near blue that I could rent out. An additional 5-6k/month? Yes please!

Just found out one of the houses near us is going to list for close to $2m. He said ‘hey if someone is stupid enough to pay it why not?’ Cant argue with that logic

This applies to southern ontario, anything north of barrie isnt like this.

Good luck to the young dudes out here trying to buy their first homes (LOL)
You may be surprised. Some around Alliston have sold $100000+ over asking. Asking prices mean nothing. This area is up at least 25% in the last year. Crazy everywhere. I'm not sure about Barrie and north but I can't see it being that different.

You may be surprised. Some around Alliston have sold $100000+ over asking. Asking prices mean nothing. This area is up at least 25% in the last year. Crazy everywhere. I'm not sure about Barrie and north but I can't see it being that different.
yes, alliston would fall in southern ontario (unless theres another alliston)

yes, alliston would fall in southern ontario (unless theres another alliston)
Yes. Just saying Barrie is only 20 minutes away. Can't see it being that different.

Yes. Just saying Barrie is only 20 minutes away. Can't see it being that different.
thats why I said north of barrie(places like sudbury, timmins etc)

Was talking to my buddy in Alliston a few days ago. They bought their detached house for 575k early summer and he said they’re about 650k now give it take. Said they seem to have hit a wall around 700k and aren’t going for much more than that in his neighbourhood. He lives in the new development just north of the town centre.

Was talking to my buddy in Alliston a few days ago. They bought their detached house for 575k early summer and he said they’re about 650k now give it take. Said they seem to have hit a wall around 700k and aren’t going for much more than that in his neighbourhood. He lives in the new development just north of the town centre.

Small home. Small lot. Single garage.
14f7c77a1230b058b3ea4e194a107498.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom