budget of $3500, bike suggestion? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

budget of $3500, bike suggestion?

This.

I won't even entertain a meeting if someone tries haggling me on the phone before seeing the bike. It just gives the impression you're not serious and haven't done any research.

sucks... this is exactly what i did lol but he invited me to see the bike and we will meet tomorrow, not sure if he will let me negotiate even more i hope so... i just want a bike with reasonable price after all :(

from your pic it seem's you would like something faster, lol. i agree with another poster, 35,000km's is far from high mileage for a year 2000 sportbike, especially a sv650. you would have to double that mileage to consider it HIGH, remember that's 11yr's ago so it's average km's for the vintage. i think your only option's at the 500cc or 650cc if you are moving up from 250 and don't want a SS. btw, you could probably get an 1999ish F4 for that 2,500 or possibly less.

from your pic it seem's you would like something faster, lol. i agree with another poster, 35,000km's is far from high mileage for a year 2000 sportbike, especially a sv650. you would have to double that mileage to consider it HIGH, remember that's 11yr's ago so it's average km's for the vintage. i think your only option's at the 500cc or 650cc if you are moving up from 250 and don't want a SS. btw, you could probably get an 1999ish F4 for that 2,500 or possibly less.

Haha!!! in the past yes, not anymore now :D i guess i grew up a bit thats why LOL, ss are too overwhelmed... just sat on a R6 yesterday..holy **** that thing was big and heavy, plus the speed... i dont want to die so fast..

but yea you are absoultly right, the guy told me same thing average milage is only 3000ish per year so...it's pretty normal. i'll see if we can make a deal tomorrow :D

I just sold my 2002 SV 650S with 28k for $3100. You have to realize at some point the price freezes and stays and only goes down every 5 years. 1st Gen SVs you are looking at 2500 - 4000 depending on condition and extras.

Best bike based on what you are looking for IMO.

Yea... but 0-100 takes 6 seconds? I had the ninja 250 before and it takes about the same time... so im planning to get something slightly faster so im not bored with the acceleration :)

Ahh, acceleration and torque. Get it. I'm looking to change for a FZ6 (I think, anyways for now) for the exact same reasons.

sv is a great choice, what about a Katana, had one and was a blast to ride 600cc full fared and cheap to insure. Just a thought. Good luck.

How about Ninja 650r? Got my 2007 for $3200. FI, decent power, cheap insurance, nice looking. You just need to bargain hard!

How about Ninja 650r? Got my 2007 for $3200. FI, decent power, cheap insurance, nice looking. You just need to bargain hard!

haha holy crap, teach me some negotiation skills like do i go and say the bad things about the bike, act like i dont like it at all and walk away? lol

going to look at the bike today afternoon!

Bikes really only depreciate so far, after which their value pretty much stays constant so long as they remain in good mechanical and cosmetic condition.

$3000 for 1st generation SV650 is a fair price if it's in good condition. I wouldn't worry at all about it having 30+k on it, that yearly average is pretty low. When i rode on the street my yearly average was around 10,000km.

The good thing about a bike like that is that you can buy it now for $3000 or maybe a little less and then a few years from now you should be able to sell it for nearly the same price so long as you maintain it. Even a good condition 1990 ZX6R or GSXR is worth $2500. SV's are good bikes. I say go check it out.

just sat on a R6 yesterday..holy **** that thing was big and heavy

If you think the R6 felt heavy you will not be impressed by the SV, it's heavier and has a higher center of gravity, that bike feels like a pig when moving around stop and go.

If you think the R6 felt heavy you will not be impressed by the SV, it's heavier and has a higher center of gravity, that bike feels like a pig when moving around stop and go.

+1 I ride a SV650, and if you think the R6 is heavy...than I don't know many bikes you can ride that is 600cc + lol.

I love my SV650, and it's perfect for me. The throaty sound of the V twin is awesome + low end torque is great for commuting everyday. Compare to a R6, than yeah it is sort of a pig...but mostly coz the front suspensions are way too soft IMO and not for the lack of power. The R6 you have to get up 8k + rpm to get that extra surge in power that would leave the SV behind...but that also puts you in a position to get a speeding ticket.

No ones mentioned Yamaha YZF-600R. This was Yamaha's flagship bike before the R6. It's super fast, sport tourer, great on gas, liquid cooled! I fell in love with this bike when I owned it. They can be found for about $3000, there's a couple up on trader.ca.

There's an excellent support forum as well at www.yzf600r.com. I bought mine with 48,000km and sold it at 60,000km a couple years ago.. it was great!

train%20tracks.jpg

My suggestion is of course the bike that I ride, FZ6, I bought one so it has to be the best option.

Seriously though, it's a nice bike that's not as popular as the SV's so the prices are lower for same year/mileage. Better touring bike than a SV, and plenty good at going fast. Mine's been all over the place and has picked up 65k km over the five years it's been on the road without causing me much hassle.

haha holy crap, teach me some negotiation skills like do i go and say the bad things about the bike, act like i dont like it at all and walk away? lol

going to look at the bike today afternoon!

Just be polite, but firm. Don't be afraid to walk away. Go a bit out of GTA. And buy in winter. All these seemed to help.

just found a bike year 2000 sv650s @35000km for $3000..... is that a reasonable price? im thinking to negotiate how much further do you guys think I can lower? possbily bring it down to $2500, due to the high milage? thanks

35000 kilometers is not high mileage for the SV-650 engine. My DL-650 from 2006 has much the same engine, and triple the distance, and it runs perfectly. It burns $1 worth of oil in 1600 kilometers, meanwhile consuming $90 worth of fuel (or $80 here in the USA), and otherwise it runs like new. If the SV-650 has been well maintained, then 35000 kilometers is nuthin'!

No ones mentioned Yamaha YZF-600R. This was Yamaha's flagship bike before the R6. It's super fast, sport tourer, great on gas, liquid cooled! I fell in love with this bike when I owned it. They can be found for about $3000, there's a couple up on trader.ca.

There's an excellent support forum as well at www.yzf600r.com. I bought mine with 48,000km and sold it at 60,000km a couple years ago.. it was great!

train%20tracks.jpg

Great suggestion. I looked at YZF600R's last year when looking for my first bike.

I considered that bike, BUT... with my insurer it was considered a Super Sport so I didn't pull the trigger. (From what I read, it has no business being called a Super Sport bike.) Your mileage might vary - maybe a different insurer (Jevco? State Farm?) could cut you a good deal on it?

Seemed like a nice bike 'tho, a little more sport than the Bandit 600 I ended up with. The blue colour scheme bikes are really good-looking too - look just like R6's but with the single seat.

I think the current choices are good. I'd suggest a Bandit 1200 - not that bad on insurance (non-Super Sport), or THAT heavy (around 500 lb wet). Would be a great choice for tripping/touring, maybe a lesser choice for short rides, zipping around and hitting curvy roads. Depends on how you want to use it.

Also, when looking around last spring, I did come across a Ducati 750SS for $3800. An older Monster could creep into that range too. I think I'd be more concerned about condition with an old Duke.

Last consideration - Honda VTR Firestorm? You see them for just a little more than $3500.

Back
Top Bottom