Bikes in the HOV lanes | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Bikes in the HOV lanes

Do you guys try to contact your MP about it? 'coz I really dont know how goverment should noticed about some online petition? I think fasebood and some media attention can make better job then online petition. Signed anyway :)

Since this thread:
http://gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum/showthread.php?p=1268523#post1268523
was in the "introduce yourself" board, I thought it might not get the response it deserves.

Link directly to the petition is here:
http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/occ/#sign_petition

Don't want to step on any moderator toes here, just figured a lot fewer pepole check the introduce yourself thread than the general motorcycle thread.

signed - and this is something long overdue...

OOPS! I've been riding these HOV lanes on my bike all this time and thought it was ok... :eek:

Signed...

One some HOV lanes it's legal. Some sections of Eglinton Ave. allow it. Look for the picture of a motorcycle on the signage.

On the highways (404 for example) it's cages only.

Look picture motorcycle on signage.

On the highways (404 for example) it's cages only.

i read the HOV rules in March, and it stated 2UP for bikes is acceptable son.

with proposals now flying to add HOV lanes to the 401 in Milton, I suddenly had the urge to revive this thread.

with proposals now flying to add HOV lanes to the 401 in Milton, I suddenly had the urge to revive this thread.

Milton is the current 401 west-end heavy congestion point in mornings and afternoons. It makes sense to encourage people to carpool and take some load off the highway.

I sent our minister of transportation, Kathleen Wynne, an email regarding this some time ago. I made what I felt was reasonable arguments concerning environmental and safety issues. For example, a motorcycle with only the rider is at 50% occupancy but a vehicle with 5 passenger seating and 2 occupants is 40% capacity, 28.5% for a 7 passenger vehicle. I noted that air cooled engines can overheat when sitting idle in traffic and some riders choose to wear protective gear and they too can get very hot.

Her response was Tough S**t.

I agree, a petition will do little. Let's bombard her email with requests. The squeaky wheel gets the grease.

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/feedback/minister.shtml

Vehicle occupant capacity is not really the issue at all. The issue is about the number of persons needing to get from A to B, and the length of running lane space required for each of those people.

The 7-passenger SUV carrying just two people requires half the running lane space per person compared to a motorcycle carrying a sole rider, and that's at current minimum passenger load requirements. As the highways get more and more congested, look for HOV lanes to bump up from 2 passengers required to three or more. Then the lane space per person argument gets even more unfavourable with respect to a sole occupant motorcycle.

Arguments about gear and heat mean little. That argument could also be used by the owner of an air-cooled VW Beetle with no air-conditioning. Should they also get a pass if they're alone?

Vehicle occupant capacity is not really the issue at all. The issue is about the number of persons needing to get from A to B, and the length of running lane space required for each of those people.

The 7-passenger SUV carrying just two people requires half the running lane space per person compared to a motorcycle carrying a sole rider, and that's at current minimum passenger load requirements. As the highways get more and more congested, look for HOV lanes to bump up from 2 passengers required to three or more. Then the lane space per person argument gets even more unfavourable with respect to a sole occupant motorcycle.

Arguments about gear and heat mean little. That argument could also be used by the owner of an air-cooled VW Beetle with no air-conditioning. Should they also get a pass if they're alone?

HAHAHA, good points. No wonder she told me to kiss off LOL. Even with your counter point, don't you feel that motorcyclists should have access to the HOV lane?

HAHAHA, good points. No wonder she told me to kiss off LOL. Even with your counter point, don't you feel that motorcyclists should have access to the HOV lane?

From a personal interest point of view, sure, I'd like my sole-occupant motorcycle to have access.

From a broader perspective of overall public interest though, I don't think there's a compelling argument to be had in giving sole-occupant motorcycles access to the highway lanes. Doing so does nothing to relieve highway congestion.

However, the argument shifts a bit when it comes to giving motorcycles access to HOV lanes on city surface streets. There the motorcycle does offer some advantage as far as utilizing limited downtown parking space goes. On the other hand, the counter to that is that motorcycle riders as well as car drivers ought to be taking public transit to get to downtown, thus avoiding the issue of scarce downtown parking completely.

Done and done. They needs to add the uptown express lanes in this as well =P

Back
Top Bottom