Bicycles... I want one... Suggestions/Recommendations? | Page 11 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Bicycles... I want one... Suggestions/Recommendations?

I'm going to start ridnig to/from work on a Scott Plasma 3.

Needs more neon.

Wait, you're not riding from trendy coffee houses to ironic coffee houses in downtown Toronto. Carry on.

And I'll be wearing my aero helmet and my matching Rock Racing replica bib and jersey.... Oakley Radar sunglasses with rainbow mirror lenses... hells ya!

with rainbow mirror lenses...

Get with the program. It's either clear non-prescription lenses or just the frames with no lenses at all.

be-cool-bowl-boy-glasses-hipster-hitter-Favim.com-41241.jpg

Saw some Norco Torrents for $1400..that's a good price if you're looking for a mountain bike. They only have Large and X-Large bikes though.. Saw a nice Jamis Dragon Team frame...Reynolds 853..19" though..but it was only $150! What a nice frame. The hipster doofus quotient was fairly low..thank god.. Came home empty handed..ah well.

Saw some Norco Torrents for $1400..that's a good price if you're looking for a mountain bike. They only have Large and X-Large bikes though.. Saw a nice Jamis Dragon Team frame...Reynolds 853..19" though..but it was only $150! What a nice frame. The hipster doofus quotient was fairly low..thank god.. Came home empty handed..ah well.

$9900 for the Scott Plasma 3!! Ugghhh!!!!

I saw a few Plasma 2s for under $4000 though and some really good prices on a few Felt tri bikes.

All i ended up leaving with was a lock, two jerseys and a bib. The missus got a bib, two jerseys, leg warmers and a bra.

Back from the show. Soooooo many bikes. I really had no idea how much variety there is, and how many tiny little niches with their own names and histories. Surprised there were no recumbents or velomobiles though.

Didn't expect to have so many options either but talking to a few shops I'm now tossing around the idea of a few bikes;
Scott SUB 10
Giant Seek 0
MEC Hold Steady

What do you guys have to say about these?

Last edited:
Back from the show. Soooooo many bikes. I really had no idea how much variety there is, and how many tiny little niches with their own names and histories. Surprised there were no recumbents or velomobiles though.

Didn't expect to have so many options either but talking to a few shops I'm now tossing around the idea of a few bikes;
Scott Sub 10
Giant Seek 0
MEC Hold Steady

What do you guys have to say about these?

Seem to be mostly the same bike..although I like the MEC a bit more. I'd go for whichever one fits you best. I don't know what the maintenance and lifespan of the Shimano internal-gear hubs are. They're a novel solution but I really don't know how long they last or how well they hold up. I did a bit of work on the old Shimano Nexus hub and it looked fairly well put together, but I always worried about bent axles on that hub.

Surprised there were no recumbents or velomobiles though.

Recumbents are the mimes of the cycling world.

Seem to be mostly the same bike..although I like the MEC a bit more. I'd go for whichever one fits you best. I don't know what the maintenance and lifespan of the Shimano internal-gear hubs are. They're a novel solution but I really don't know how long they last or how well they hold up. I did a bit of work on the old Shimano Nexus hub and it looked fairly well put together, but I always worried about bent axles on that hub.

I know a few guys that are running the Alfine system offroad. So far so good. No one knows the long term results from that experiment yet, As far as Nexus, it's no Rohloff (and at $1500+ for the Speedhub, it shouldn't be), it's pretty robust. One of my friends used to throw Judy DHs on his KHS Klunker and run it on the easier/pedaly DH courses. He's 200 lbs. and HAMMERS bikes (I've watched him fold several frames from reputable DH companies), and the hub held up fine.

New rear tube in the Cannondale. Just need to refresh the rear shock, new brake oil and pads and she's ready to go. Just installed a new big chain ring on my Guru last night, waiting on a new stem and new road shoes then a tune up and she'll be ready to go too.

I was not anticipating riding weather in mid march, my winter maintenance is not done yet! :(

Recumbents are the mimes of the cycling world.

lol

I was not anticipating riding weather in mid march, my winter maintenance is not done yet! :(

I know what you mean. 7 bikes in various states of rebuilding/maintenance needs. I'll be out in the garage for hours.

Luckily I have another 10 sitting there ready to ride. :p. Took the SS for a rip through downtown Hamilton on Friday evening to watch the migration of the hookers and meth heads back to Jackson Square. That was interesting, as usual. Been out on the one of the road bikes all weekend and this week so far. Intervals on the mag trainer in the kitchen all winter has paid dividends.

I did a ride monday night..not too bad..hills seem so much..easier..than last year..no idea why. EPO??

I know what you mean. 7 bikes in various states of rebuilding/maintenance needs. I'll be out in the garage for hours.

Luckily I have another 10 sitting there ready to ride. :p. Took the SS for a rip through downtown Hamilton on Friday evening to watch the migration of the hookers and meth heads back to Jackson Square. That was interesting, as usual. Been out on the one of the road bikes all weekend and this week so far. Intervals on the mag trainer in the kitchen all winter has paid dividends.

I did a ride monday night..not too bad..hills seem so much..easier..than last year..no idea why. EPO??

I've been doing a lot of indoor training in the past 4-5 months. I've actually noticed my leg strength catching up to my cardio as I'm having a hard time getting my HR as high as I used to.

I'm really looking forward to getting on my bike outside to see what, if any, difference there will be on the road with average speeds, etc.

Switched to 165s?

I kill me.

**EDIT**

Know where I can get some Benotto tape (white)? Can't find any anywhere (other than fleabay).

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom