Best Ear Plugs (for a loud bike) | GTAMotorcycle.com

Best Ear Plugs (for a loud bike)

MotoX

Got a full Brocks system, it's loud, don't want to lose hearing, have a silencer on order. Bike sounds awesome... like an F1 car. What ear plugs do you guys with loud bikes use? Foam inserts is what I normally use, but cutting down ~ 20 dB isn't going to cut it with this bike.

Thanks in advance.

I've tried a bunch, currently i'm using

1717301311826.png

and i think they are the best by far. best part is they fit flush into your ear, so nothing for a helmet to snag getting it on/off.

-24 dB is not even close....remember the scale is logarithmic and silcone sucks for noise absorption. Might be okay for sleeping...marginal for riding and certainly not for a very loud bike.
10 dB is considered to be, to humans with a non linear sense of amplitude, a doubling of apparent loudness. When expressed as a negative number its the inverse
so the ones you are using are only about half as quiet.
Now that may be fine for your use as you can then hear a bit more external noise...but might not be enough for the OP.
Certainly silicone tips are comfie...but they are not max isolating.

Last edited:
Shoppers Drug Mart. NRR 33dB. $12.99 for 24.

white.jpg

Don't get the jar of 100. They may be priced cheaper per plug, even though they're labelled Life brand and are pink as well, they're not the same kind as the 24-pack. Less dB rating and don't squish as well as the ones in the 24-pack.

Last edited:
-24 dB is not even close....remember the scale is logarithmic and silcone sucks for noise absorption. Might be okay for sleeping...marginal for riding and certainly not for a very loud bike.

so the ones you are using are only about half as quiet.
Now that may be fine for your use as you can then hear a bit more external noise...but might not be enough for the OP.
Certainly silicone tips are comfie...but they are not max isolating.

Correct about decibels being logarithmic.

However, Hearing Protection Devices (HPD) are rated using a NRR (Noise Reduction Rating) number.

Even though NRR is quantified in dB, it doesn't mean that the loudness is lowered by that figure though.

The actual calculation for how much loudness is reduced is:

(NRR - Attenuation Adjustment) / 2

The Attenuation Adjustment number is different for the type of HPD. For earplugs it's 7dB, for earmuffs it's 3dB.

For two earplug products, one with NRR 24 and another NRR 33, here are the calculations:

NRR 24: (24 - 7) / 2 = 8.5 dB
NRR 33: (33 - 7) / 2 = 13 dB

At a 100 dB rock concert, the NRR 24 product will reduce the loudness to (100-8.5) = 91.5 dB
The NRR 33 product will reduce the loudness to (100-13) = 87 dB

And *now* you can can compare the difference in loudness on your dB logarithmic scale: 91.5 - 87 = 4.5 dB

Last edited:
Just get silicone custom moulded ear plugs.

I've had mine for years. Easy to clean, custom fit to my ear cavity. Comfortable, and blocks as much sound as possible.

Better than the 33db foam ones.

Got mine done by Nu-Life Hearing Centre.

They did a mould of my ear at a bike show years ago. Then they custom make them and ship them.

There's another type they do on the spot, but they're not as good as injection moulding them.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Custom molded is the best way to go.

I also tried various others and I didn't like the feeling of inconsistent placement.
Some would get loose while putting on the helmet or during a ride.
Custom feel the same way every time.

As others have said, start with making the bike quieter. It sounds like you have the part ordered. More and more municipalities are cracking down on obnoxiously loud vehicles.

Secondly, ear plugs with an nrr in the low 30's that fit you well. I like soft foam and have a bunch of different brands and they all work well for me.

Third, if you were in a loud industrial environment, you put ear muffs over your ears after the earplugs are in. That obviously doesn't work well in a helmet but a quieter helmet may get you a few dB reduction over a loud helmet.

How much are custom molded?

I'm not really a fan of loud exhausts, but that's how the bike came...just trying to ride it until the baffle comes in the mail. I can (and do) idle it through towns. I get young kids motioning their wrist for me to rev bomb it. I won't do it. It's an H2. Even with the full Brocks I don't know if it's as loud as a Harley with straight pipes... I'd like to do a db test on them side by side. Harley's seem to get a pass...I've never understood why.

Some great suggestions on ear plugs here. Thank you.
So, it's ok for everyone around you to go deaf because of YOUR exhaust, but not YOU?

Back
Top Bottom