anyone knows about scooter? | GTAMotorcycle.com

anyone knows about scooter?

elton_t

hi my sister is now looking to buy a scooter since im buying a sv650.....:confused1: she wants a pretty cute one she can ride to school, she is doing university for 2nd year. I know absolutely nothing about scooter when it comes to model. she is planning to get a 50cc to play with at the beginning to see if she likes it.

how fast does a 50cc scooter usually go? i know she wont be able to take it to DVP/401 unless it can do at least 100kph. she has a budget of $1500 for the a used scooter. looking to find one that can be easily sold back next year if she doesn't like it.

any suggestions?

Aren't all scooters considered "Light motorcycle"? If that's the case, aren't they automatically not allowed on all 400 series automatically? 50cc will have a real hard time trying to do 100kmh, if they can even get there.
I dunno though, not a ride i'd ever consider for myself.

i beleive to "legally" use the 400series you have to have a 250cc bike. a 50cc scooter usually tops out at 85kph or so. the yamaha scooters are great and durable. the have the vino, but the BW is what i would get.

she would need her LSM license.

i got a honda elite 125 for sale tops out at 90 with me on it asking 900obo

i beleive to "legally" use the 400series you have to have a 250cc bike.

Not true. CBR125's can top out at 130 with a light rider and they are perfectly legal on the highway.
I believe I tried researching this before and could never find a solid cc limitation in the laws.

Basically what i've summed it up to is:
Some smaller bikes/scooters are labeled as "Light Motorcycle" and automatically not allowed on 400 series.
For any other motorcycle not in the "light" category, it must be able to keep up with the flow of traffic.

Ask any CBR125 rider here that has taken their bike on the highway, it's not the most comfortable feeling, but they are able to do it.
The wind affects you a lot, your bike is revving close to redline just to keep up with traffic, and you're so narrow that it's easy to be in someone's blind spot. This means you have to really be aware of where YOU are in people's angles, and also where THEY are around you.

If someone finds an actually quote from the HTA on this, don't hesitate to chime in and correct me.

Not true. CBR125's can top out at 130 with a light rider and they are perfectly legal on the highway.
I believe I tried researching this before and could never find a solid cc limitation in the laws.

Basically what i've summed it up to is:
Some smaller bikes/scooters are labeled as "Light Motorcycle" and automatically not allowed on 400 series.
For any other motorcycle not in the "light" category, it must be able to keep up with the flow of traffic.

Ask any CBR125 rider here that has taken their bike on the highway, it's not the most comfortable feeling, but they are able to do it.
The wind affects you a lot, your bike is revving close to redline just to keep up with traffic, and you're so narrow that it's easy to be in someone's blind spot. This means you have to really be aware of where YOU are in people's angles, and also where THEY are around you.

If someone finds an actually quote from the HTA on this, don't hesitate to chime in and correct me.

i actually have phoned MTO a while ago cuz i was planning to get CBR 125 the agent told me as long as you can keep up with the speed limit you can go on it.

i beleive to "legally" use the 400series you have to have a 250cc bike. a 50cc scooter usually tops out at 85kph or so. the yamaha scooters are great and durable. the have the vino, but the BW is what i would get.

she would need her LSM license.

All she needs is basically a M1, after the $18 dollar written test she can ride for 90 days. So i would assume she gets the M1 on monday, buy the scooter and insurance, she can then ride it on the same day! lol

i actually have phoned MTO a while ago cuz i was planning to get CBR 125 the agent told me as long as you can keep up with the speed limit you can go on it.

Thanks for confirming! :D

shes looking for a sharp colour one designed for girls :D

You mean like this one? :lmao::lmao:

scooter9.jpg

Aren't all scooters considered "Light motorcycle"?

No, not at all. Under 50cc, whether a scooter or motorcycle, it's legally considered a limited speed motorcycle (LSM), gets green plates and is not allowed on the highways. If it's over 50cc, whether it's a scooter or motorcycle (physically) it's legally a motorcycle, gets white plates and can go on the highways.

In practical terms a 125 cc scooter might not be super safe on the highways, but it's legal. As far as bigger scooters, well, why shouldn't a 500 cc Piaggio X-9 or an 800cc Gilera GP800 scooter be allowed on the highway? They'll outpower a lot of 'real bikes'.

No, not at all. Under 50cc, whether a scooter or motorcycle, it's legally considered a limited speed motorcycle (LSM),

That's the term I was looking for! I knew it wasn't "light" motorcycle but for the love of (insert religious belief here) couldn't remember it.
Yes I agree that some of the bigger scooters can easily handle themselves on the 400 series highway.

Thanks for clarifying. :)

shes looking for a sharp colour one designed for girls :D

I would suggest a Piaggio Fly 150. A 4 stroke may be a bit better for someone that has no intention or interest in hands on maintenance. A two stroke adds the added "feature" of oil injection that if it fails will destroy the engine before you even knew it failed.

hi my sister is now looking to buy a scooter since im buying a sv650.....:confused1: she wants a pretty cute one she can ride to school, she is doing university for 2nd year. I know absolutely nothing about scooter when it comes to model. she is planning to get a 50cc to play with at the beginning to see if she likes it.

how fast does a 50cc scooter usually go? i know she wont be able to take it to DVP/401 unless it can do at least 100kph. she has a budget of $1500 for the a used scooter. looking to find one that can be easily sold back next year if she doesn't like it.

any suggestions?

No one has mentioned it, so I will..

There is a huge difference between scooter cc sizes and their speed potential whether they are 2 stroke or 4 stroke. People here claiming their 50cc will do 85 kph, are assuredly NOT 4 strokes.

And I still am amazed everytime I read someone defending a CBR125R as a bike capable of doing 130 kph. If they would say that conditions have to be just right to get there, then it wouldn't bother me, but..
- superlight rider
- tail wind
- downhill grade
- NO restraining draft from any vehicle bigger than a Camry

etc etc

When you are giving advice on a thread when it is stated straight up they don't know and want advice, then no one should be suggesting that a CBR125 can do anywhere near 130. The advice should be conservative and include more real world scenarios.

Like, it's hard pressed to maintain 90 when conditions are less than great:

- riders with Big Mac habits
- head winds
- uphill grades
- restrictive drafts from large trucks...somewhere you don't want to get trapped between with one is merging over and you have no where to go, not enough power to get out in front, and some jerk up your *** from behind.
THAT is REAL WORLD! And anything less than a 250 is in way over its head.

The 125 is a GREAT bike, but its most enjoyable (read safe) either in town at speed limits of 60 kph or less, or on the track.

So for the OP... all this applies to your original question only scooters are even slower due to their not having a manual tranny like the CBR125 has. So if she knows this and doesn't have to do ANY hwy, she might be ok with 50cc 2 stroke. Even if in town, scooters like the Honda Jazz (a 50 cc 4 stroke) has practically no steam left at 60 kph, and that's on level ground, so any 50 cc 4 stroke should be carefully scrutinized for its many limitations.

And I still am amazed everytime I read someone defending a CBR125R as a bike capable of doing 130 kph. If they would say that conditions have to be just right to get there, then it wouldn't bother me, but...

Not true. CBR125's can top out at 130 with a light rider and ...

Also note "top out" which means deep in the red on the tach, which isn't something you wanna be in for an extended period of time.
On my last group ride there was a 125'er there with us and he was giving it all his bike could offer. He was able to keep up with our 120-average no problem, as long as he kept his body as narrow as possible and some tuck as well.
In the backroads he said he was able to put the needle on the 130-mark momentarily.

By no means did I recommend a CBR125 for anyone that constantly uses the highway, that's for sure.
I use the highway quite often personally but then again I am on a much larger bike than the one in discussion.

Was your extended post based on experience of you owning/riding a CBR125?

I have a Yamaha BWs 125cc scooter but it is classified as a motorcycle under the HTA. It is legal to ride on the 400 series highways. It will do 100km/h easily, tops out at 115 km/h. But I did modify the transmission.

I have a Yamaha BWs 125cc scooter but it is classified as a motorcycle under the HTA. It is legal to ride on the 400 series highways. It will do 100km/h easily, tops out at 115 km/h. But I did modify the transmission.

off topic, but what is your fuel econ with the bws 125?

the info about what is and isn't permitted on the 400 series highways i easily located online. if your bike has a green(limited speed) or red (moped) plate, it's not allowed on the highway. Before they introduced the green plates, everything had white plates. If it has a white plate and isn't capable of doing highway speeds, it's not allowed.

Every scooter is differen't. Some 50cc's can do 80 or 85 km/h.. some can only do 60.

If your sister wants something small, feminine, and affordable, tell her to check out the TNG Milano 50cc. It looks a lot like the Yamaha Vino. I think they go for about $1500 new.

Back
Top Bottom