Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle? | Page 500 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle?

In Ontario it was 26 for the volt after rebate

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
You sure? I looked at a volt in ‘17 and ‘18, couldn’t get out the door for less than $36 with all incentives. Cruze MT6 with same options was $22 OTD.

$26 would have been a no-brainer.

You sure? I looked at a volt in ‘17 and ‘18, couldn’t get out the door for less than $36 with all incentives. Cruze MT6 with same options was $22 OTD.

$26 would have been a no-brainer.
Positive I bought one in 17. 26 plus tax made it a no brainer instead of a cruise still driving it not a single issue so far at 160000 now. Has probably had 15 tanks of gas total.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

What's this about?
Wtf. By definition they have made a perpetual motion machine. Like all of them, they are probably looking for dumb investors.

Also, the article.is very strangely worded especially for a semi-technical discussion. Energy density is a real property of battery storage but nobody says the energy density is going up or down by charging.energy density refers to the maximum potential energy per volume.

"Think of it like a solar cell, but instead of sunlight, this cell harnesses electricity from the vacuum energy of the Zero-point energy field, the abundant energy source available throughout the universe. NGU (Never Give Up) denotes our meticulous efforts behind this invention.”
"

There are A TON of clickbait BS articles floating around. "New batteries last forever." "New batteries charge in 5 minutes." "Say goodbye to EVs - such-and-such auto manufacturer has some wild new invention." The antics of the marketing departments of certain auto manufacturers don't exactly help matters (cough: Toyota and their "electrified" vehicles and "self-charging hybrids" - technically true, but oookaaayyy)

Lots of these "articles" smell like they were written by AI. If there's any intelligence that has ever been exhibited artificially, I have yet to encounter it.

I have an engineering mind that functions on physics and thermodynamics, so it's pretty hard to BS me about such matters.

Energy doesn't magically appear. It comes from somewhere. This is a consequence of the laws of thermodynamics.

A consequence of that, is that there is no such thing as creating something out of nothing.

Every time you convert one form of energy into another, you lose some of it (as heat). Rechargeable batteries convert electricity into chemical energy as they are being charged, then from chemical energy back to electricity as they are discharged. They are specifically designed to do this as efficiently as possible. Hydrogen ... is not like that. Synthetic fuel (made from hydrogen and carbon dioxide) ... is not like that. Combustion engines are absolutely not like that.

"Charge in 5 minutes"? Okay. I can plug in my Chevy Bolt and unplug it 5 minutes later, and (if it wasn't already full) it will have "charged in 5 minutes". Never said anything about the starting and ending state-of-charge, or what the capacity of the battery was, did I? Those are the questions you need to ask. What's the capacity of the battery? What were the starting and ending state-of-charge? And, importantly, how many kW are available at the charging station? It's all well and good to "charge in 5 minutes" but one fails to mention that in order to do this, you have to be hard-wired to the transmission lines coming from Bruce Nuclear.

5 minutes is one-twelfth of an hour. To go from zero to full state of charge would require a charging rate of 12 times whatever the capacity of the battery is (in battery-tech terms, this is called "12 C"). If the battery has 60 kWh capacity (Chevy Bolt scale) that's 720 kW charging power, which is about double what any charging station can deliver. OK so 10 minutes might even be within a realm of possibility for a smaller-EV-sized battery IF it could charge at 6 C which most can't (I understand that there are some in development which could).

Tidbits. The CCS1 charging connector that most EVs aside from Tesla use, is rated for 500 amps (with active cooling of the supply cable) and 1000 volts. Technically that could allow 500 kW charging power, although most have an additional restriction of 350 (or 400) kW total charging power.

Tesla doesn't give current limits, they leave that to the hardware suppliers, but they're not immune to laws of physics, it's limited by the cross-sectional area of the copper in both the contact pins inside the connector and in the cable leading to the connector. These are not appreciably different from CCS1. Tesla appears to play a little bit fast and loose with current limits, allowing the unit to "overdrive" the charging current while monitoring the temperature somewhere and then de-rating as the temperature goes up. Evidently the "V4" dispensers carry 1000V ratings, but Tesla has STILL not deployed power supply cabinets with 1000V capability ... your Hyundai E-GMP, or GM BT1XX, or Porsche Taycan/Macan (all of which have 800-ish-volt charging capability) will charge slower at a Tesla station than at a proper 350kW CCS station.

Why 1000 volts. At 1000 volts or below, equipment such as EV charging stations is subject to something called the "low voltage directive", which governs the various safety precautions concerning electrical equipment in that voltage range. If you get into higher voltages then the technical and administrative safety requirements get A LOT more stringent.

Back
Top Bottom