Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle? | Page 499 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle?

PHEV was designed as a steppingstone for the unsure people who weren’t ready to make that level of commitment. Range anxiety blah blah blah.

Unfortunately the right wing anti-EV/anti-environmental whackadoodles have done a massive amount of damage to EV adoption in the last few years, and PHEV‘s have suffered even more despite being an excellent solution to a real problem.

While much of the rest of the world is moving on from internal combustion, the sentiment on the side of the pond seems to be firmly stuck in the past and EV’s are swamped in misinformation and downright lies online which is part of what is hampering adoption.
But Tesla's CEO is endorsing Trump. How does that fit in with the right-wing hates EVs? lol

It's also still a competent single family vehicle solution. I wouldnt have a bev as the only family vehicle right now. I'm not renting a car for a >400 km day and bev makes those trips painful if they don't end at home. Even heading to the inlaws cottage would be tight unless I slow charged all weekend. Some people wpuldnt appreciate you "stealing" their power even if it's only a few bucks.

I'd be happy with one bev as long as the other vehicle could deal with long trips.
Where is this cottage located that it would be so hard to get to? I've got over 38k on my Tesla and that includes lots of road trips all over Canada and the US, even in areas with minimal EV infrastructure like when I visited tahquamenon falls state park in michigan. There are very few places in north america you can't get to with an EV.

Where is this cottage located that it would be so hard to get to? I've got over 38k on my Tesla and that includes lots of road trips all over Canada and the US, even in areas with minimal EV infrastructure like when I visited tahquamenon falls state park in michigan. There are very few places in north america you can't get to with an EV.
I could make it to that cottage without charging. I could probably get home again on the same charge as long as we didn't drive much at the cottage.

When I am trying to get somewhere or get home, I hate stopping for any reason. I was annoyed going from diesel to gas as it cut max leg down to ~700 km. With smallish kids, now I'm limited to legs of 500km or so. Having to stop an hour from home for an electricity hit is feasible but would annoy the hell out of me. For my wife's vehicle, bev is almost perfect. That way when I get in, I have full range. With gas, she's low more often than not.

I'm going to see my brother this weekend. About 5.5-6 hour round trip. There for 24 hours. Could a bev do it? Sure but most won't without a hit on a charger and on a short trip, needing to leave time for charging means less time with family.

But Tesla's CEO is endorsing Trump. How does that fit in with the right-wing hates EVs? lol

And how about left-wing absolutely can not buy Teslas anymore now thanks to Musk, total tragedy.
I remember how 7ish years ago my very progressive coworker bragged about his new Tesla technological marvel and how visionary Musk was and how much Tesla stock he possessed lol
How things have changed…

It was less than a Civic with the incentives at the time

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
I paid $31.5k OTD for my Volt in 2018 with gov and dealer incentives. That was a stupid good deal.

I bought the car because I wanted to drive in the HOV lane and save time, which was more important than saving money or the planet, but given the price of gas over the last 4 years, it's turned out to be really good decision. Not to mention the time not spent standing in gas stations holding nasty gas pump handles, this car has been an amazing buy and doesn't look anywhere near as horrific as that aesthetic abomination aka the Honda Clarity.

And 90% of my driving is done within the range of the Volt's charge, so each 33L tank of gas lasts around 4-8k , while all charging is done at night at off peak rates.

I could make it to that cottage without charging. I could probably get home again on the same charge as long as we didn't drive much at the cottage.

When I am trying to get somewhere or get home, I hate stopping for any reason. I was annoyed going from diesel to gas as it cut max leg down to ~700 km. With smallish kids, now I'm limited to legs of 500km or so. Having to stop an hour from home for an electricity hit is feasible but would annoy the hell out of me. For my wife's vehicle, bev is almost perfect. That way when I get in, I have full range. With gas, she's low more often than not.

I'm going to see my brother this weekend. About 5.5-6 hour round trip. There for 24 hours. Could a bev do it? Sure but most won't without a hit on a charger and on a short trip, needing to leave time for charging means less time with family.
You have kids and you drive places without stopping? That's surprising... I used to have some of those same concerns before I bought an EV but I found if you time your stops so you charge when you need a break it's not so bad. I've also found that frequent short charges are better than long infrequent ones. Find a charging stop, plug in while everyone finds a washroom to pee, and maybe a quick coffee if there's a starbucks or something nearby, and by the time everyone is back you can unplug and hit the road again with more than enough charge to make it to the next stop.

I'm intrigued by the REV's coming out like the new Ram where the drivetrain is fully electric but there's a gas motor to charge the battery if you need the extra range. Not sure why those aren't more common.

You have kids and you drive places without stopping? That's surprising... I used to have some of those same concerns before I bought an EV but I found if you time your stops so you charge when you need a break it's not so bad. I've also found that frequent short charges are better than long infrequent ones. Find a charging stop, plug in while everyone finds a washroom to pee, and maybe a quick coffee if there's a starbucks or something nearby, and by the time everyone is back you can unplug and hit the road again with more than enough charge to make it to the next stop.

I'm intrigued by the REV's coming out like the new Ram where the drivetrain is fully electric but there's a gas motor to charge the battery if you need the extra range. Not sure why those aren't more common.
When we went to Florida last winter most legs were 500-600 km. Ones after a meal were normally sub 300 as they needed a pitstop. Stopping is the enemy of average speed.

While many bevs are available that could have made the journey, accommodating the required stops would realistically add a day in each direction. It was two days each way with ice, bev in two would require team driving and no hotel stop.

Last edited:

Don’t let facts get in the way of good anti-GM rhetoric

Seeing the mental gymnastics and cognitive dissonance people go through online who hate everything liberal like those damn tree hugger EV’s and anything environmentalist whatsoever, all while thinking Space Karen is the greatest thing since sliced bread is pretty hilarious at times. The funniest part is watching him slowly destroy his own business and not seem to be able to rub enough brain cells together to realize it. I guess when you’re a multibillionaire you just don’t care anymore, but I am starting to wonder how much longer it’s going to be until his shareholders and the board do.

Reality is the liberal tree hugger Democrat voters tend to statistically clearly be the ones with money who can afford expensive cars, and the conservative voters tend to be on the lower end of the income scale and are in no situation to ever consider it.

When you really want a Tesla but you’re deal dealing with dollar tree money…

1729349383669.jpeg

So, at one point Elon bragged that there was 1.5 million pre-orders for the Cybertruck.

Estimates are that about 15,000 have been delivered.

Tesla announced recently that you can now order a non-foundation model CT for delivery in the next few weeks without a reservation.

Something doesn't add up here.
On that note, $20K price cut today. An extra kick in the nuts for the early adopters as their resale value just dropped by another 20k.

Ouch. Not only a kick in the teeth for the people who rushed in early expecting these things to a hot commodity for potentially years to come, but also a clear sign that they are not selling as was anticipated. There are lots of photos of them stacking up in parking lots outside the factory, initially the discussion was that they were likely already sold and just waiting for a delivery, but that seems to be in doubt now.

It will be interesting to see if this causes sales to fall off a cliff contrary to what they’re aiming for, or actually helps. It could be priced at $30,000 and I still wouldn’t buy one, they have been proven to be unreliable pieces of junk

Ouch. Not only a kick in the teeth for the people who rushed in early expecting these things to a hot commodity for potentially years to come, but also a clear sign that they are not selling as was anticipated. There are lots of photos of them stacking up in parking lots outside the factory, initially the discussion was that they were likely already sold and just waiting for a delivery, but that seems to be in doubt now.

It will be interesting to see if this causes sales to fall off a cliff contrary to what they’re aiming for, or actually helps. It could be priced at $30,000 and I still wouldn’t buy one, they have been proven to be unreliable pieces of junk
There is a price where I'd buy one (although it would need an interesting wrap to make it less douchy). Their current price of 100k is nowhere near that price.

On a related note, I saw a black one headed up the 400. Not sure if it was the same one that hangs out in vaughan with US plates.

Last edited:

A 2019 chevy cruze median price was 23g cdn

A 2019 chevy volt median was 43g

Similar vehicles. Similar size.

Not all state/provinces offered rebates at the time on EVS. And I doubt Volts were heavily discounted.

The cruze no doubt had plenty of incentives at the time.

The Volt was simply too expensive. Buyers didn't see the value. The car was nothing spectacular.

Last edited:
A 2019 chevy cruze median price was 23g cdn

A 2019 chevy volt median was 43g

Similar vehicles. Similar size.

Not all state/provinces offered rebates at the time on EVS. And I doubt Volts were heavily discounted.

The cruze no doubt had plenty of incentives at the time.

The Volt was simply too expensive. Buyers didn't see the value. The car was nothing spectacular.
In Ontario it was 26 for the volt after rebate

It doesn’t need to fit there. Rich republicans get richer when the middle class does better.

Back
Top Bottom