Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle? | Page 394 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle?

If you were in the market for a new vehicle and had the space and money would you wait for an ultium vehicle or get a bolt EV

Sent from the future

For how I use the car, the Bolt hits the nail on the head. It's VW Golf size and VW Golf practicality, which is perfect. That the battery tech is outdated is irrelevant to me; it works. That the fast-charging is slow has theoretically mattered once (Ottawa trip) and by maybe 5 or 10 minutes (i.e. waiting longer than it took to go have a coffee and a sandwich) ... irrelevant.

At the moment, the smallest foreseen Ultium vehicle is going to be the Equinox, and we roughly know the dimensions, and for a daily driver, I don't want something that big (or heavy). If at some point in the future, GM comes up with an EV successor to the Trax/Encore/Sonic, that'll also be the successor to the Bolt, because all of those are G2-platform-related (loosely, in the case of the Bolt) and practically the same size.

An oft-delayed on-again, off-again Windsor trip is finally on-again for this coming Thursday. I think it's going to involve a short fast-charge at Tilbury on the way out, and a longer one at either Tilbury or West Lorne on the way back. It's usually a coffee break on the way out and a meal break on the way back anyhow. The car can charge while I'm doing that.

Here's some math on the government subsidies of battery plants. As expected it is a huge dumpster fire with very little benefit other than a green washed photo-op.

But but but the jobs….

There’s some pi$$ing match between ottawa and the manufacturer and they stopped construction until it’s resolved. Meanwhile Doug is twiddling his thumbs waiting for JT to fix it, and it’s for his province so he should probably take a more active role.

But but but the jobs….

There’s some pi$$ing match between ottawa and the manufacturer and they stopped construction until it’s resolved. Meanwhile Doug is twiddling his thumbs waiting for JT to fix it, and it’s for his province so he should probably take a more active role.
The active role is admitting that sometimes no jobs is better than buying jobs that will never ever come close to breaking even. Like the wind turbine plants where government threw tons of money at them and the second the subsidies stopped the doors were locked. 500M for a plant seems to be supportable by economics, 14B is a giant turd with no possibility of ever working out for the taxpayers.

Last edited:
But but but the jobs….

Stellantis is getting funding from the province and the federal governments. They don't have an issue with the provincial funding, they have an issue with the federal funding. The way they made it sound this morning on the radio, Stellantis is upset that Volkswagan got more money then they did. They say they've supported Windsor for so long and aren't getting as good of a deal as Volkswagan. Volkswagan got more money because they government was trying to match the US substdies being offered.

Stellantis is getting funding from the province and the federal governments. They don't have an issue with the provincial funding, they have an issue with the federal funding. The way they made it sound this morning on the radio, Stellantis is upset that Volkswagan got more money then they did. They say they've supported Windsor for so long and aren't getting as good of a deal as Volkswagan. Volkswagan got more money because they government was trying to match the US substdies being offered.
Yup. Stelantis is butthurt that they signed for 500M when JT was happy to offer up 14B. Now they are throwing a tantrum to try to get another 13.5B of our money. F em. Give them the cheque for 500M when plant is operational. If they choose not to proceed, blacklist Stelantis from all federal funding for a decade as a timeout for their temper tantrum.

Yup. Stelantis is butthurt that they signed for 500M when JT was happy to offer up 14B. Now they are throwing a tantrum to try to get another 13.5B of our money. F em. Give them the cheque for 500M when plant is operational. If they choose not to proceed, blacklist Stelantis from all federal funding for a decade as a timeout for their temper tantrum.
I would be too. If you don't ask you don't get, and it's free money...so def worth a shot.

No different than contractors claiming anything and everything under the sun. Even if 10-20% of it sticks...that's now 10-20% more than you had before.

Just too bad it's our money they're mucking around with.

I'm in the middle of a Windsor trip. First charge was 22 min at Tilbury westbound. Second one happening now Tilbury eastbound; could have made the next one but my bladder couldn't. It will probably need one little splash around Woodstock to make sure I can get home.

I'm in the middle of a Windsor trip. First charge was 22 min at Tilbury westbound. Second one happening now Tilbury eastbound; could have made the next one but my bladder couldn't. It will probably need one little splash around Woodstock to make sure I can get home.
So your experience with the non-Tesla chargers seems pretty good huh?

This fits with our long term goals.
Volvo-bidirectional-EV-charging

On Wednesday, Volvo Cars revealed a new investment in bidirectional EV charging startup dcbel. The company’s “r16” Home Energy Station is a full-fledged renewable energy ecosystem featuring solar power, bidirectional charging capabilities for backup power, and a smart home energy management system.

Back
Top Bottom