4k UHD BluRay vs 4k streaming | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

4k UHD BluRay vs 4k streaming

Well 88 TB can hold lots of movies at the same compression as the 4k UHD BR discs themselves, so no question it's an improvement over current streaming.
That said .....will 5G and higher speed internet streaming eliminate that bottleneckj.
Not for the average budget tho and I'm happy with physical discs and wait for a MiniLED to come to my budget. ( low )
Most of the 4k BR I bought offer superior viewing and I have them when I want them instead of chasing.
We'll see how the later Batman movies which are also dark fare.

The 4K UHD files I'm seeing available are between 17-75GB. Most are in the 35-50GB range.

So $25 to buy the streaming....$40 for the BR UHD....and I get to keep it or sell it....but that's an expensive one.

Screen Shot 2023-12-18 at Dec, 18    2023    7.07.44 PM.jpg
vs
Screen Shot 2023-12-18 at Dec, 18    2023    7.13.15 PM.jpg

Now Dune is much less to buy to view online
Screen Shot 2023-12-18 at Dec, 18    2023    7.16.50 PM.jpg

but also a deal for $15 for a quality source.
Screen Shot 2023-12-18 at Dec, 18    2023    7.18.54 PM.jpg
Rather have the BR for my fav movies and use streaming for the casual ones.
I expect 4k UHD streams to get more expensive and perhaps higher compression. Buying the actual BR UHD disc, especially on sale eliminates a couple of variables.
Where to source the movie
Quality.

Rather I buy the media, better quality

Or download 1-1 4K UHD 10 Blue Ray rips.

Upside: Same quality as physical disc

Downside: they're huge files. Your TV's built in USB file player won't cut it. Need a dedicated 4K player

I'll buy the media - no interest in having a server and I have zilch left on my internal drive 56 gigs of 1 TB left - needs some clean up. :rolleyes:

So $25 to buy the streaming....$40 for the BR UHD....and I get to keep it or sell it....but that's an expensive one.
40 years ago a VHS movie was about $80. That was expensive.

40 years ago I saw almost perfect reproduction on a 50" Panasonic of a closed circuit feed of a geisha at the CES in Chicago. Girl on one side of the viewing, TV on the other....very little difference to the eye from 15'
That was the Japanese HiDef system and the LaserDisc. Had quite a few of them and they were about $100 each. Took a long time to reach that fidelity as it was analogue....digital has got there now and surpassed it.
1703082506383.png
The kids grew up with a 50" Mitsubishi and all the Disney Classics on Laserdisc.....was just chatting with my kids about that when I was in Canada. Think the last ones went in the trash a few year ago...

BR UHD are a marvel....and a bargain in todays dollars.

Some of the 4k UHD titles are still arriving - this was a treat as was Dunkirk
Pure mayhem and a fantastic 4k UHD transfer - Man of Steel I had not seen.
worth the money just for that one.....1704550269054.png

The Harry Potter set was still very dark but worthwhile for me as I'd just finished reading the series and seeing Deathly Hallows on screen cleared some confusion.

In fact, David Yates' Deathly Hallows: Part 2 was so dark that the finale was almost unwatchable. Deathly Hallow: Part 2's worst-lit moment was the Death Eaters and wizards' climactic nighttime clash. The only things that could be seen were their magic bolts.
The 4k UHD set clearly helps as does a high nits screen. The 1,000 nit 14" MacBook Pro did best with DH2 streaming 4k tho the 4k UHD disc was very watchable on my older Samsung budget set.

THIS....is a concern for me

18 days ago

I’ve heard Disney and Sony are stopping physical media releases in Australia, and there’s a rumour JB Hi-Fi will stop selling physical media altogether next year…

Last edited:
Or download 1-1 4K UHD 10 Blue Ray rips.

Upside: Same quality as physical disc

Downside: they're huge files. Your TV's built in USB file player won't cut it. Need a dedicated 4K player

Or, just get a really really fast unlimited fibre optic internet connection and stream them.

I gave up storing media about 5 years ago when I got an 8 gbps connection. 75 gig stream? Meh, whatever, go for it, it won't even buffer.

The kids grew up with a 50" Mitsubishi and all the Disney Classics on Laserdisc.....was just chatting with my kids about that when I was in Canada. Think the last ones went in the trash a few year ago...

I still have my LD player in the basement although I think the only actual disc I have anymore is my original "Ghosts of the Abyss" Titanic one. Came across it a few weeks ago, in pretty rough shape unfortunately. I can just stream it in vasly better quality than it ever was now, so meh.

I had one of the first DVD players in Canada which I paid over $1K for at the time and had to drive into Toronto to even buy at th etime, ugh. I also still have in my "vintage **** I need to get rid of" collection in our cold room, right next to the 2 boxes of old cables and transformers. You just never know when you might need a power brick for a Vic20, a LPT printer cable, 6 or 8 DB9 serial cables, or a SCSI hard drive cable, amongst all the other stuff.

I must admit I was thinking how good these would be on a larger screen......sigh.

1704557660614.png

Bought this in late 2021. Money well spent, we still love the heck of of it every time we turn it on.

I think maybe we could get to 100" before we just don't have a wall physically big enough to mount it however (small living room), so we'll probably have this one at least 10 years, like the 55" plasma that it replaced, and by then 100 inchers will be as affordable as this thing surprisingly was.

Or, just get a really really fast unlimited fibre optic internet connection and stream them.

That would be ideal if you were actually getting 4K UHD 10 from the streaming services.

*spoiler* you're not.

That would be ideal if you were actually getting 4K UHD 10 from the streaming services.

*spoiler* you're not.

Assuming *cough* you're using a *cough* regular streaming service.

*cough* 😉

Assuming *cough* you're using a *cough* regular streaming service.

*cough* 😉
I'd be shocked if any streaming service had proper bitrate 4k hdr. Even *cough* services are getting content from others that have compressed the hell out of the stream. Conceivably, some downloads may get you access to a proper bluray rip but I havent seen those stream. Even if you had sufficient bandwidth down, the up bandwidth of the server required with many streams would be ridiculous (over 100 Mbps per stream).

A friend told me you'd be very surprised if you look in the right places.

*cough cough*

I'd be shocked if any streaming service had proper bitrate 4k hdr. Even *cough* services are getting content from others that have compressed the hell out of the stream. Conceivably, some downloads may get you access to a proper bluray rip but I havent seen those stream. Even if you had sufficient bandwidth down, the up bandwidth of the server required with many streams would be ridiculous (over 100 Mbps per stream).

If you, ahem, source your own files and stream them from your own server you most definitely can.

Back
Top Bottom