You Decide | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

You Decide

Once I get time I’ll get into it.

I’m still betting rectifier

How long does it take to remove the battery, drive it to CT where they always tell you it's dead, return and reinstall it? And even if you ordered one online, are you just going to stare at the bike while you're waiting for it to arrive?
Or just go to your local motorcycle shop, get the old one checked and go from there.
KLR uses a YB14L-A2 which is a very common battery.
OP has already wasted a bunch of time, he could probably make it a one stop shop and likely be back on the road.
What's his time worth ??? The lengths some folks will go to save $10-15 and be off the road astounds me.

Or just go to your local motorcycle shop, get the old one checked and go from there.
OP has already wasted a bunch of time, he could probably make it a one stop shop and likely be back on the road.
What's his time worth ??? The lengths some folks will go to save $10-15 and be off the road astounds me.
Not in a hurry to fix it, have other bikes I can ride.

People try to help, people offer advice, people ignore advice - how's that balling ?
How is it I’m ignoring your advice? I mean if it’s me you’re addressing.

I’ve not had time to dig into it

Or remove the battery from the bike, attach jumper cables from the battery leads to your car's battery (not running) if there's any suspicion that the battery is faulty. If you get the same low voltage results with the bike running, it's not the battery.

Reactions: TK4
Ohh that guy, yeah he is a bit of a trouble maker 😂
Don't trust him with any advice either.
He is a self proclaimed "Rounder of bolts, Dropper of tools"
😁

You're basically making the same argument as me, but you're assuming the battery is dead whereas I'm assuming it isn't. In over 40 years I've never seen a battery that was working fine one day then suddenly become a "sponge" and soak up enough voltage from the regulator to materially affect the reading. All bets are off if you pick one up from the dumpster that's been sitting for a decade.

I'm suggesting some very quick and easy tests that disconnects the battery, so it doesn't matter what condition it's in. It takes a few minutes to unplug the R/R connector to get an AC reading. How long does it take to remove the battery, drive it to CT where they always tell you it's dead, return and reinstall it? And even if you ordered one online, are you just going to stare at the bike while you're waiting for it to arrive?
I'm not assuming the battery is bad. I know the battery is bad based on the information that has been provided and my 19 years of being paid to repair vehicles as a licensed technician.

But hey, fire the parts cannon at the bike and see if you can wound it.

I'm not assuming the battery is bad. I know the battery is bad based on the information that has been provided and my 19 years of being paid to repair vehicles as a licensed technician.

Explain this to me, today the bike is seeing 14.2 and battery started the bike. Gremlins

14.2V isn't the battery, that's the charging system. And if you've just pulled the battery off the trickle charger, of course it'll start your bike no problem, even if it is bad.

I'm not a licensed technician, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night...
I didn’t trickle the battery, it fired up and was charging, probably when the rectifier gets hot it doesn’t work properly

LOL. What parts am I telling him to buy? You're the one telling him to buy a new battery! I'm telling him to do some tests to determine whether it's the battery or something else before spending any money.

Last edited:
Well after checking the stator and it shows even output on all three stages, I’ve ordered a rec as my charge is not stable and fluctuating from 14.2 as low as 11.3

Well who would think that after changing the two headlights that the bike is charging again.

Yup you seen it right, the bulbs were drawing to much for some reason. After replacing them the bike is pushing 13.6 to 14.2 again

Or that’s what the mechanic said that looked at it.

Never seen anything else on my bill other than diag and oil change plus two HID bulbs

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom