XSR900 vs. STriple 765 | GTAMotorcycle.com

XSR900 vs. STriple 765

Test drove these in two different occasion this past couple weeks... What are the internet gods' thoughts on the two?

both 2024 models...
triumph.
No comparison, next question.

Really want to hear your opinion.

I am in the XSR camp atm.
every yamaha i've owned or ridden felt cheap and had some weaknesses (brakes, fueling, fit and finish, suspension)

No such thing with the triumph, likely the best all round sport bike i've ever owned or ridden.

My only complaint is the side stand which is super sleek, and difficult to get to during the rain with wet boots.

It punches well above its weight and price tag. Surpassing other more expensive models.

Last edited:
You are right.

The problem I have with the Yama is the fact that you are paying similar money for generic brakes and suspension.

Triple you get Showa front and back with Brembos front and back.

That translate to some value. @bigpoppa didn’t you have a Street Triple at one point? I find it jumpy. I guess it’s my riding style….

You are right.

The problem I have with the Yama is the fact that you are paying similar money for generic brakes and suspension.

Triple you get Showa front and back with Brembos front and back.

That translate to some value. @bigpoppa didn’t you have a Street Triple at one point? I find it jumpy. I guess it’s my riding style….
I have one presently, it’s such an awesome bike, you can feel the quality the instant you leave the driveway, 20 years of refinement and planning shows.

It’s a bike with no weaknesses, a great goldilocks sport bike

There are bikes that are faster, there are bikes that have more fun factor, but none that are such a good well rounded, all round package, with such balance

It’s more fun than the tuono I owned and handles better than my superdukes.

Disclaimer: I haven't ridden the Triumph

But...

If I were to have just one bike, I'll take a Yamaha over a Triumph any day.

If I have multiple bikes and don't mind if stuff randomly breaks and don't care how long it takes for parts to arrive, Triumph over Yamaha.

Further disclosure: Current owner of a Yamaha FJ09 and of a Triumph Bonneville

It’s more fun than the tuono I owned and handles better than my superdukes.

How many km did you end up putting on your Tuono?

I put 20,000km on mine.

Can't say my street triple is more fun than my Tuono v4 was, but its a close second.

I rode a 2015 fz-09 back to back with my street triple. The Triumph had much more refined fueling. Suspension was better. If I had to choose, it'd be the triumph.

The 2015 fz09 was pretty raw. I'd assume the newer ones are more refined. I'd expect the same with the '24 street triple 765 r or rs.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

How many km did you end up putting on your Tuono?

I put 20,000km on mine.

Can't say my street triple is more fun than my Tuono v4 was, but its a close second.

I rode a 2015 fz-09 back to back with my street triple. The Triumph had much more refined fueling. Suspension was better. If I had to choose, it'd be the triumph.

The 2015 fz09 was pretty raw. I'd assume the newer ones are more refined. I'd expect the same with the '24 street triple 765 r or rs.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
Not nearly as many, but for street use I always found the tuono pointless, it was less fun, weighed more, etc

Made an account just to comment on this! I cross shopped both these bikes in the spring and ended up going with a 2024 765 R in crystal white.

I was heavily leaning toward the XSR because of perceived reliability and extra torque. I sat on them both back to back at the bike show and all the stuff I had read on the internet went out the window. The Triumph just did it for me. Just way sexier and more premium in terms of fit and finish. At the end of the day it just made me more excited when I looked at it. So I went with my heart. I love the way it rides and it turns heads. I've since added some of the RS stuff (belly pan, seat cowl, bar end mirrors) and I love it even more.

What didn't I like about the XSR? The seat felt hard like a church pew and the tank seemed really long, making the reach to the bars feel too far for me (I'm 5'11). Retail was about $800 more at the time but it just seemed more cheaply made. Lower end suspension, Nissin brakes with rubber lines. As mentioned above, even with the R you're getting Brembos with braided lines, Showa suspension etc. I just felt like I would have been paying more money for something that cost less to produce. It just didn't really do it for me when I sat on it either.

evbEe5O.jpeg

Made an account just to comment on this! I cross shopped both these bikes in the spring and ended up going with a 2024 765 R in crystal white.

I was heavily leaning toward the XSR because of perceived reliability and extra torque. I sat on them both back to back at the bike show and all the stuff I had read on the internet went out the window. The Triumph just did it for me. Just way sexier and more premium in terms of fit and finish. At the end of the day it just made me more excited when I looked at it. So I went with my heart. I love the way it rides and it turns heads. I've since added some of the RS stuff (belly pan, seat cowl, bar end mirrors) and I love it even more.

What didn't I like about the XSR? The seat felt hard like a church pew and the tank seemed really long, making the reach to the bars feel too far for me (I'm 5'11). Retail was about $800 more at the time but it just seemed more cheaply made. Lower end suspension, Nissin brakes with rubber lines. As mentioned above, even with the R you're getting Brembos with braided lines, Showa suspension etc. I just felt like I would have been paying more money for something that cost less to produce. It just didn't really do it for me when I sat on it either.

evbEe5O.jpeg

lol. I am not an OG but welcome and thanks for answering my question.

Yeah. I looked deeper into what the XSR offer. And frankly I was impressed with how easily approachable it is. Unrefined throttle response, like me, is not going to throw you off the bike. The 765 is jumpy in comparison, but I guess that’s something I will need to get use too if I do buy it. I guess the other thing I like about the XSR is the single headlights vs the naked bug lights. No pun intended but the bug lights bug the crap out of me. lol.

But all in all you are right, the Yamaha feels a bit less value because they stuff you get is all generic. Generic brakes, generic suspension and yes the seats is a bit hard. I remember walking out of the test ride asking if there was aftermarket seats.

765 on the other hand as you said even with baseline R model, you get Showa front and back springs, and Brembo front and back brakes. So more value for the two bikes being the same price point.

Again, the bug lights just isn’t doing it for me. That’s a bummer.

other bikes on deck for consideration is now the BMW F900R……

Yeah. I looked deeper into what the XSR offer. And frankly I was impressed with how easily approachable it is. Unrefined throttle response, like me, is not going to throw you off the bike. The 765 is jumpy in comparison, but I guess that’s something I will need to get use too if I do buy it. I guess the other thing I like about the XSR is the single headlights vs the naked bug lights. No pun intended but the bug lights bug the crap out of me. lol.

But all in all you are right, the Yamaha feels a bit less value because they stuff you get is all generic. Generic brakes, generic suspension and yes the seats is a bit hard. I remember walking out of the test ride asking if there was aftermarket seats.

765 on the other hand as you said even with baseline R model, you get Showa front and back springs, and Brembo front and back brakes. So more value for the two bikes being the same price point.

So far you have mentioned the spec sheet and brochure items, when you ride one back to back, there will be no comparison and it will be obvious and clear which bike is superior.

I have no idea about the F900R, all I know is, its not a popular model and doesnt really sell for BMW

Last edited:

That's totally fair. I didn't even consider the triple for the longest time because I didn't like the headlights either. My previous bike was a gen 3 SV650 and I was always of the opinion a "proper" motorbike should have a round headlight. Somehow it just grew on me though.

I'm surprised you found the triple jumpy. I never rode the XSR but compared to my SV650 the throttle feels light years ahead. Then again, I'm sure most bikes are more refined than my SV650 was....

At the end of the day I think they are both objectively very good bikes. Go with your heart and what you'd be more excited to see when you walk out into your garage. Only you can make that decision for yourself.

I have hire-bike experience with that bike's predecessor (F800R) and a cousin (F900XR). I've always rented these because they're lighter than the BMW models that everyone wants (1200-1250 flat twins).

Would rent again. Wouldn't buy. Not interesting enough.

Out of the previous models the F800R was the one I liked the most.

So far you have mentioned the spec sheet and brochure items, when you ride one back to back, there will be no comparison and it will be obvious and clear which bike is superior.

I have no idea about the F900R, all I know is, its not a popular model and doesnt really sell for BMW
You rode the XSR? Do tell!

Removed

Last edited:
You rode the XSR? Do tell!
rode a demo bike from apex a while back while ktm was in for break in service, I remember lots of understeering, typical yamaha suspension

Back
Top Bottom